• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Is Hyrule Warriors Worth It?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm pretty hyped for this game, but something is telling me it'll be a game where I'll play it for a few hours then get bored and never touch it again. I'm also getting the impression that it's a very repetitive and generic hack-and-slash type of game, which I'm not sure if it'll be appealing to me. I've also heard going around that it's not very story driven, is that true?

Please try to keep any spoilers to an absolute minimum, thank you.

Mido

Version 1
I have yet to get it, Sydney, so I wouldn't be the best source here. I've been trying to make strides to get it, though! My own gripes aside, here's what I hypothesize.

Warriors games have a history for receiving complaints in respect to the repetitive gameplay. Unless you really like hack and slash games, or are really invested into the narrative, I would pass it; however, this particular game seems to offer a bit more than the standard. Then again, I still have yet to play it! Your point about the game perhaps not being entirely story-driven is a point I cannot vouch for, so I will leave that to those who own or have played the game to answer that! Personally, I believe the game is worth the good time, but it really depends on your preferences. :yes:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yes it's true that it's not very story-driven.

I haven't played any other hack-and-slash games but I've found the different movesets of the different warriors to be refreshingly unique and complex. I'm still figuring out the best ways to use my favorite warriors.

Just unlocking all the characters takes 20+ hours, unlocking all the weapons bumps that up to ~30, L3 weapons upwards of 80 (Adventure Mode is HUGE). It only really gets repetitive after that, when you're just collecting Gold Skulltulas and Heart Containers/Pieces, levelling up your warriors, and trying to find/make better weapons.

you know those are good feelings to listen to, everytime I refused to listen to those feelings I wasted money and the games gathered dust. do you have a friend who's getting the game? maybe you can play it at their house and see if you like it first.

Personally I'm not feeling the repetitiveness as of yet. There's a big cast of characters, with more to come soon, and every character feels and plays different. It's not very story driven, but the story isn't bad. Adventure mode is simply huge and soon even more of that will be released (more of everything actually). There are a lot of things to collect and the difficulty can be sky high at times. All in all there's no reason to get bored after a few hours, especially as a Zelda fan all the little things should keep you entertained for longer than that.

The game is lots of fun. But it does get repetitive after a while. And it's not the fun repetitive that Smash Bros is. Certainly worth getting though, especially with the DLC coming every month for the next few months.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Combat is pretty hack and slash. It's mostly about strategy and staying in the right place. I find the game's a lot more fun with a partner. REALLY wish they allowed online.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I enjoyed the story campaign allot. It could have been more story driven, it had a pretty simple plot though it deviated slightly to what we are used to in Zelda. It also gives you a chance to play from the villains perspective so if you are into that kind of thing, this game gets you doing some evil at some point.
If you are a fan of either OOT TP or SS then i'm certain this game will have plenty of fan service for you to enjoy. There is fan service from other games as well though, a particularly good one from MM makes an appearance.
The musical score is very good too featuring remixes of tracks from past games as well as containing original tracks too.
I've never played any warriors game before so can't liken the gameplay to anything I have played in the past, there is a lot of hacking and slashing, at the end of each mission the kill count is always in the thousands. However it is not about killing as many enemies as you can it is more about strategy and capturing bases. There are also quite a few enemies that require strategy to kill and can't simply be hacked and slashed. The boss fights are also a decent challenge and require special items to defeat like in the main series.

I personally like it, but imo, you should rent it first. Since it's a Dynasty Warriors game, it may not be for you, but I personally like it so far despite never being into the series. You should give it a shot, though. It's not a bad game, but rent it just so you can try the game out before you think about either buying it or not.

While some elements of the gameplay can feel repetitive, you still get to use them in fresh ways. It's almost like your mind graduates in terms of the level on which you think of the game. At first, you're into the mowing down enemies mindset, learning your new combos and movesets and figuring out what type of combo attack is the best one for the situation (narrow, wide, distant, all around you, etc) but eventually once that part becomes second nature, your mind moves on to more of a field commander role. As the challenges become more complex and varied and difficult (you'll largely have Adventure Mode to thank for that) you start thinking more about breaking enemy offensive advances (you've killed enemy Stalfos, the enemy is withdrawing!) and learning when you need to be where and just how much your allies can take before they need your assistance. I've never been a fan of the hack-and-slash types, but between the interesting combat challenges, the Zelda paintjob and the rather deep combo mechanics, I would call this game quite enjoyable.

Plus, I'm absolutely looking forward to playing as Skull Kid in February.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom