• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Is Hylia the Goddess of Time?

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I have a theory I'd like to share with you all, since no one I've talked to seems to believe me.

I think that Hylia is the Goddess of Time. Or at least, time is what Hylia's the Goddess of. I have several points to prove this from several games.

Skyward Sword: The Gates of Time. There are only two of them. One is in the Temple of Time, and is broken by Impa, and the second one is in the Sealed Grounds, which you use. As soon as you walk through it, you see that the Sealed Grounds were formerly known as the Temple of Hylia. So the Gates of Time are in the Time Temple and the Hylia Temple.

Speaking of the Sealed Grounds, it looks very similar to the Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time. And Hyrule Historia states that the Sealed Grounds become the Temple of Time. So I can easily see this as the people used the temple to worship the Goddess of Time, then slowly forgot about the Goddess part until it became just time.

My next point is Hylia herself. She seems to be able to see thousands of years into the future, planning Demise's defeat and Link's entire journey millenia ahead of time, even planting messages that say exactly what Link needs to know at the exact proper moment into Fi's memory.

This extends into subsequent games, in the form of Zelda.

Ocarina of Time: Zelda gets psychic visions as a child. As an adult, she becomes a Sage, theorized to be the Sage of Time, though not proven. She can use the Ocarina of Time to send Link back to his childhood without the Master Sword, the "ship that sails up and down the river of time", or the Song of Time!

Majora's Mask: When Zelda gives you the Ocarina of Time in the flashback, she says "The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you." And it works. The Song of Time protects you when you play it by sending you back in time. It even gives variations of the song power! Do you honestly think that if anyone had prayed that little prayer, it would have worked so well? This part is theory, but I think Zelda unknowingly powered the Ocarina of Time with her own power, thus giving the ocarina itself the protection of the Goddess of Time.

That's pretty much my theory. Go ahead and start a war over it. Try to disprove it, maybe even bring up a supporting point I missed. Do whatever. Just have fun with it. TatlTails out. PEACE!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Got to say this is a neat theory :P

Now I think you make some good connections as to why Hylia could indeed be connected to actually having powers of time, as in Skyward Sword we see a big foucs on time....With the likes of Timeshift stones, the gate of time and the appearance of the Temple of Time in the Lanayru province.

Now it can be easy to jump to conclusions and say these were the creations of Hylia, however Hylia was gravely injured in the early event's after the original God's set her with the task of guarding the Triforce. In my opinion I don't think Hylia had anything to do with the Timeshift stones and the Gate of Time. We know of the "Ancient Robot Tribe" these seemed to be a pretty advanced tribe and they lived within the province of Lanayru. This is where we see the main appearance of time in SS, Timeshift Stones and the ToT. Now it is also said in Skyward Sword that the purpose of this race was to mine, specifically mine for the the Timeshift Stones.

Now we don't know enough about this element but if Hylia did truly have the power of time why would this ancient civilisation of robots be tasked with mining for these Timeshift Stones? Another point I have against Hylia having the power's of time is that she was tasked with guarding the Triforce by the original 3 God's now I don't see where time links into this task...In theory I think that like all elements in the world of Hyrule; Fire, Water, Forest Etc. There was in fact an element of time (the Timeshift Stone) and Hylia or another power tasked the Ancient Robot's with finding the element in order to traverse time when in desperate need.

I also don't think Zelda or her descendent's have the power of time either... The only game we were see Zelda and the theme of time is in Ocarina of Time, now notice how the title says "Ocarina of Time". The power of time lies within the Ocarina not Zelda herself, it was stated within the game that the Ocarina was passed down through past generation's in the royal family (Don't fully quote me on that). So it could be that the Ocarina has the same power as the Timeshift Stones did or it could actually be that the Ocarina is actually made out of that same element, as many people have made connections with the colour scheme of the Ocarina and the Timeshift Stones. So in all it was the Ocarina that enabled Zelda to send Link back in time not Zelda herself, this would be further said because in Majoras Mask Link is also able to use the Ocarina of Time.

Now as you mentioned the "Goddess of Time" in Majoras Mask is said to have aided Link in being able to manipulate events in Majoras Mask. Now it is hard to really connect any theories to Majoras Mask because it is an alternate dimension. Termina has its own mythology that being of the Hero of Men, Majora, the Fierce Deity and the 4 giants, now we never see any of these entities mentioned in any other Zelda games...Now this leads me to believe that the Goddess of Time is infact just part of the Termina mythology and therefore not being connected to Hyrule in any way. Some people also say that the Goddess of Time is Hylia's counterpart, now I also do not believe this. The other stand out figures in MM's mythology have no counterpart's in the actual Hyrule mythology, for example the 4 giants as these don't really connect to anything we have ever seen before.

Speculating on the land of Termina and connecting it to Hyrule is really tough to do since they differ in so many ways! However the reason I think that there is the mention of the Goddess of Time in Termina is simply because that Termina itself follows the theme of time. If we look at the main town...it's based off time itself "Clocktown" now it would fit to have a Goddess of Time in Termina as it could link in to why the main town is actually called "Clocktown".

Sorry for my long post haha, but like I said before this is a neat theory here and even though I disagree....who know's it could indeed be true :P

Agh, I always thought that Hylia would be the "Goddess of Time" or respectfully given the title.

Given the fact that Zelda was mentioned as "Goddess of Time" in Majora's Mask (ok, the manga at least I'm not sure about the game) and she is the same Zelda in Ocarina of Time, logically she would be a descendant of the Zelda in Skyward Sword. From that, it is easy to say that Zelda's goddess power was handed down through the years, and in Majora's Mask is revealed as the Goddess of Time.

Along with this, I go to think that Fourth Goddess, means fourth shard adding to a fourth-piece Triforce. Goddess of Time, creating the Shard of Time. It could be separate from the Triforce and Hylia's individual source of power, but as seen on the Hylian Shield in Ocarina of Time, it has the Triforce at the top, and a triangle facing downward, separate at the bottom. This could mean that the shard would perfectly fit in the middle of the Triforce, creating a single triangle. This is seen in the Minish Cap, which is known as the Light Force, events happening right after Skyward Sword. It could be that after Vaati tried to take it the Goddess decided that it was overpowering and decided to take Hylia's shard and separate it from the Triforce. Such an event could be described by the Hylian Shield, as I said before it had a tingle facing downward at the bottom, and separated from the Triforce. With this illustration, it could exemplify the splitting of Hylia's Shard from the Triforce.

However, that whole paragrapht I just made up one day, probably not all that clear. Anyway, there has not been any mention in The Legend of Zelda at all that there is a fourth shard.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, we had a whole thread where it came out that the Hylian shield was changed to eliminate rumors of a Quadriforce. The game designers have dismissed the idea.

I think Hylia can't be the Goddess of Time. She's been turned into a mortal, so she couldn't have the powers of controlling time and what not in Majora's Maks. Her powers are clearly limited in Skyward Sword by her physical condition AT THAT TIME. Hylia is clearly bound to a continuous timeline like the other people of the series.

It's possible there's a Goddess of Time in Termina that is Hylia's counterpart, but this is very unlikely. Zelda couldn't have known about Termina. There's not the least bit of evidence.

Finally, why would we give up on an opportunity to expand the ever-neglected Hyrulean pantheon? I want to know more about these gods. What are each one's motives and abilities. I want to see them create Hyrule and do different things. It would be awesome for this to happen. Am I right?

I think that is what Nintendo was going for with Hylia; this is just another instance of their being INCREDIBLY vague in regards to establishing connections between the games. At any rate, another possibility - in my opinion - is that Hylia might have been [one of the?] previous Sages of Time (←not an official name). This would fall in line with Princess Zelda's status as the seventh sage....

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Agh, I always thought that Hylia would be the "Goddess of Time" or respectfully given the title.

Given the fact that Zelda was mentioned as "Goddess of Time" in Majora's Mask (ok, the manga at least I'm not sure about the game) and she is the same Zelda in Ocarina of Time, logically she would be a descendant of the Zelda in Skyward Sword. From that, it is easy to say that Zelda's goddess power was handed down through the years, and in Majora's Mask is revealed as the Goddess of Time.

Along with this, I go to think that Fourth Goddess, means fourth shard adding to a fourth-piece Triforce. Goddess of Time, creating the Shard of Time. It could be separate from the Triforce and Hylia's individual source of power, but as seen on the Hylian Shield in Ocarina of Time, it has the Triforce at the top, and a triangle facing downward, separate at the bottom. This could mean that the shard would perfectly fit in the middle of the Triforce, creating a single triangle. This is seen in the Minish Cap, which is known as the Light Force, events happening right after Skyward Sword. It could be that after Vaati tried to take it the Goddess decided that it was overpowering and decided to take Hylia's shard and separate it from the Triforce. Such an event could be described by the Hylian Shield, as I said before it had a tingle facing downward at the bottom, and separated from the Triforce. With this illustration, it could exemplify the splitting of Hylia's Shard from the Triforce.

However, that whole paragrapht I just made up one day, probably not all that clear. Anyway, there has not been any mention in The Legend of Zelda at all that there is a fourth shard.

See this is where a lot of people seem to go.....

They see a number 4 and ultimately think there is a 4th Triforce piece (Tetraforce) :/ There is next to nothing in terms of information that supports the idea of a 4th piece, most theories are based on assumption or based off the design of the Hylian Shield. Am afraid the whole idea is nothing but a fantasy to some believers but overall we are 16 games and 25 years into the series...Not to mention the Timeline of the series stretches over Millennia's but there is NO information on a 4th piece!

It is believed to be that Hylia is equal to the original 3 Goddess's however why would she be under the command of the original Goddesses? Its clear that she might have the title of a goddess but there are many mythologies of Demi-gods in Hyrule but each one of them does not represent another Triforce piece. Hylia nor Zelda never seem to harness the power of time, we see the Ocarina, Timeshift Stones and the Gate of Time hold these powers not Hylia or Zelda themselves.

Last edited:

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
At any rate, another possibility - in my opinion - is that Hylia might have been [one of the?] previous Sages of Time (←not an official name). This would fall in line with Princess Zelda's status as the seventh sage....

And perhaps every Sage of Time (assuming the seventh sage is the sage of time) is the current reincarnation of Hylia, with the idea being that she must always be present in some sort of physical form somewhere in the world. This also explains why Zelda is always embroiled in whatever troubles are plaguing Hyrule--
Demise is constantly after Hylia as per the ending of SS.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It's possible that Hylia is the Goddess of Time menetioned in Majora's Mask. Of course the question which arises is how do the people of Termina also know of the same diety that Zelda menetions, hinting that Hylians also know about a Goddess of Time? Maybe Hylia truely ascended time itself? Maybe at one point in Termina's history there was a counterpart to her that existed?

I was in a debate with some others about this, and I honestly think it's either Nayru or Farore. Main evidence pointing to Nayru is Nayru's Harp having the ability to go back and forth through time, showing that time is indeed an important element to Nayru, whether Oracle or Goddess. Problem with this, however, is the fact that Ciela in Phantom Hourglass is the Spirit of Courage and Time, and has the ability to stop time using Phantom Spheres. Of course, this is in a different world, so that's important to take note of, but it's also important to take note that her mark is the Mark of Farore.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Hylia couldn't be the Goddess of Time (she might have been before) due to the fact she chose a mortal existence over immortal to protect the Triforce and to also stop Demise from being free. I'd say that in all honesty in MM we see links Ocarina is able to take him back through time this i'd chalk up to the creation of it, as in it was made of Time Shift stones but we also do no know what the band with triforce etched into it means or is made of.

Actually i'd more Buy Demise as a god of Time as he has existed long enough to gain omniscience the ability to exist in all times as one. Hylia likely held this ability before she went all Mortal on us. Actually Demise existing in all times as one would actually make ganondorf being his descendant more plausible as the darkness that is demise gets destroyed his existence in all times is destroyed but he is remade as a gerudo.

No one can really say or know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom