• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Is Ghirahim The Cat?

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Now, I'm aware this could make me look very, very stupid.

I've really been pouring over the many design choices and motifs used in Skyward Sword recently, and looking at the old trailer, this thing stood out to me.

Screen Shot 2011-08-23 at 6.17.43 PM.jpg

Now, obviously, the red bird would be Zelda's father there. And I say Zelda's father because it's almost obvious that he is due to him overseeing the bird riding festival in which Zelda's accompaniment is the prize and that both he and Zelda share the same bird symbol, the very same that characterises the Hylian shield and royal family crest, etc.

So, he's addressing Link in what I will assume is his house. And he gives Link the tunic which no doubt holds some significance as it's unlike what anyone else wears in Skyloft and it looks all spiffy and stuff. So there's some connection to the past there.

As seen in the pic, he has statues of two animals. Him, the bird, and a cat with the same yellow diamond motif as Ghirahim.

So, if the cat does symbolise Ghirahim, what's the story between those two. They seem to have some sort of antagonistic relationship (an ancient feud) as a cat and a bird would naturally have.

Am I crazy?

I agree with Hero's Shade, you may very well be on to something :yes:. The cat and the bird might symbolize something significant... The cat (representing Lord Ghirahim) is more obvious in terms of nuance than the bird (Owl Man). That could be attributed to knowing very little about the Owl Man's personality at this point, though...

I would apply the virtue of humility to Owl Man, since humility is the antithesis to Lord Ghirahim's pride.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I think you may be on to something!

Maybe Ghirahim and Zelda's Father are childhood friends, or maybe Ghirahim grew up in Skyloft and THEN became evil (a la Drawn to Life's story). And I think Zelda may be thrown into the mix somewhere, which might explain why Ghirahim thinks she's so important.

But hey, anything'a possible with Nintendo, right?

Majoras mask

Creepy purple guy!
i like finding hidden meaning in things.... you could be on to something that we don't know about. hmmmmm i want to get the game even more now!!!!!!!:)

hey also if he's an owl man he could be related to the human form of the ancient sage kaebora gaebora (the owl from OoT). Just a thought as this is set before OoT

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
KITTY~~~
...*ahem* Now that that is out of my system...

I'm inclined to disagree that the cat statue has any affiliation with Ghirahim if only for the reason that it is found inside of Link's house of all places (or Owl Man's house, we don't know exactly who's house it is, but in this situation it doesn't really make that much a difference). If there was any sort of symbolic cat-bird rivalry going on, it seems unlikely that the two idols would be placed side by side inside the house of an individual clearly aligned with the bird.

That being said, Ghirahim strikes me as a cunning character, which for some reason makes me think if there was any association between him and that cat, it would be that the cat statue was a way for him to spy on Skyloft, perhaps specifically on Zelda? Pretty far fetched, but hey, it's not like we know enough about any of the characters to debunk anything quite yet.

I must thank you though for bringing the cat statue to the public eye, if for no other reason than simply because I absolutely ADORE kitties :'3

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I wouldn't say it has any direct correlation to him, but the diamond pattern may be some kind of minor reference. Hmmm... Maybe the two statues are something involving good vs. evil. I mean, cats hunt birds. Therefore it'd be an enemy to the bird (which would be Link's bird, as it's red). So, now that I think about it, it's not too out there for it to be one of those subtle references that have nothing to do with the actual story that Nintendo likes to throw into the Zelda series. This is a pretty good find.

Last edited:

Ariel

Think for yourself.
Yes, I feared this would be one of those "if you look for something hard enough, you'll find it" type things. But I'm well aware that Nintendo, and generally the gaming medium as a whole, has a history of sticking these sort of references around games, especially Nintendo.

We've all seen the Skyward Sword easter eggs in Ocarina of Time 3D, there was an allusion to the gamecube in Majora's Mask, I'm sure it wouldn't be beyond them to think of it.

And just to be clear, what gave me the idea was the yellow diamond colouring, then I saw the red bird next to it, which sort of gave me the confirmation that the statues at least mean something to the people who live in the house, you know, coz THE WHOLE GAME REVOLVES AROUND BIRDS! So it's a very convenient reinforcement to me at least.

Until further info is received, I'm cautiously optimistic that my theory holds true.

I'd have to agree that something is definetly going on there.

But let me also point out something about 'Zelda's Father'. Looks a lot like Rauru, don'cha think?

EDIT: Next time, I'll check and make sure everyone doesn't already know that...

M

monkeyguy3

Yes, I feared this would be one of those "if you look for something hard enough, you'll find it" type things. But I'm well aware that Nintendo, and generally the gaming medium as a whole, has a history of sticking these sort of references around games, especially Nintendo.

We've all seen the Skyward Sword easter eggs in Ocarina of Time 3D, there was an allusion to the gamecube in Majora's Mask, I'm sure it wouldn't be beyond them to think of it.

And just to be clear, what gave me the idea was the yellow diamond colouring, then I saw the red bird next to it, which sort of gave me the confirmation that the statues at least mean something to the people who live in the house, you know, coz THE WHOLE GAME REVOLVES AROUND BIRDS! So it's a very convenient reinforcement to me at least.

Until further info is received, I'm cautiously optimistic that my theory holds true.
I'm not aware of this, but I'm interested. Where in Majora's Mask is there an allusion to the gamecube?

Also, I totally agree that the cat symbolizes Ghirahim. I don't think it will necessarily have any huge plot significance, but there's no way that they just coincidentally gave them the same diamond pattern design. When they put that cat in there, they had to consciously create a white cat with a gold, diamond pattern design. As far as I'm concerned, that's a reference to Ghirahim.

Last edited by a moderator:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
It's an interesting thought. An item used to spy on the royal family, or a representation of the evil below. The sly, vain evil that is Ghirahim.

It could also be possible that one of Ghirahim's forms is that of a cat, so that he can travel un-noticed and can spy on people, as proposed by the cat statue.

The theory definitely holds some water, i'll give you that. It's not totally outlandish, and there are many potential possibilities for the relationship between the cat and Ghirahim. The cat is the natural enemy of the bird, so that would mean that Ghirahim is the natural enemy of the royal family. The polar opposite, if you will. I'm very interested to see how it plays out. I don't believe Nintendo has done a villain - animal transformation before. (not counting beast ganon. I mean transformation for stealth/spying purposes, not for attack)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The design certainly does look similar, which takes very sharp eyes to distinguish that. So, good find! I think it could have some religious inference, such as keeping demons away from their homes, as ancient civilizations would do (that is, placing an idol of sorts about their house to ward away evil spirits).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom