• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is FSA Really a Prequel to ALttP?

Is it?

Now Zelda said in FSA that Ganon was once Ganondorf and was once of the Gerudo. Ganon in ALttP was also once the human Ganondorf and part of the Gerudo.

Prior to FSA Ganondorf took the Trident in a Pyramid and that turned him into the beast Ganon. Prior to ALttP, Ganondorf took the full Triforce and that also turned him into the beast Ganon as well.

At the end of FSA, Ganon is sealed in the Four Sword. In ALttP's backstory, he was sealed in the Dark World.

So we established
1. Both these Ganon's were once Ganondorf and part of the Gerudo.
2. Both Ganon's were turned to the beast Ganon by either the Trident or Triforce.
3. One Ganon was sealed in the Four Sword and the other in the Dark World.

Now looking at this, how can FSA be a prequel to ALttP when it has nothing to do with ALttP's back story?

Thoughts?

TwilightKing

Stay Frosting!
My reason behind having ALttP as a sequel is because in the GBA version of the game it featured the palace of the Four Sword containing the broken Four Sword were Gannon escaped.... From what I here anyways.

Well it cannot be a sequel because many of many factors (Gerudos not existing by ALttP, etc) so it is certainly a prequel in that it must take place at some point prior to ALttP. Not to say it cannot take place DIRECTLY prior to ALttP, however.

My reason behind having ALttP as a sequel is because in the GBA version of the game it featured the palace of the Four Sword containing the broken Four Sword were Gannon escaped.... From what I here anyways.

Just watched a video showing someone playing through the Palace of the Four Sword and I did not see a broken Four Sword. Unless your referring to the four different swords you need to collect in order to fight the 4 Link's? They were in pedestal's. After watching this though I'm not even convinced that this is even considered cannon and I see no connection here to Ganon in FSA and Ganon in ALttP. If anything, it's just a added bonus and doesn't reflect any story.

Well it cannot be a sequel because many of many factors (Gerudos not existing by ALttP, etc) so it is certainly a prequel in that it must take place at some point prior to ALttP. Not to say it cannot take place DIRECTLY prior to ALttP, however.

If it did at some point take place prior to ALttP, how long ago and how does it connect to the IW with the Ganon issues I brought up?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
How many of you have played the game through? FSA has got a pretty long set of call-backs, even if there's a few elements that seem misplaced (gorons is the one that got me). Even if you don't regard it as canon it's clearly set up with the intention of preceding LttP in mind. But if you take that out, you also remove FS, MC... OoS and OoA (if one off-shoot is being disregarded then they all should).

Besides Ganon was sealed away... I don't recall it being said he was specifically being sealed in the FourSword. But even disregarding that it's not like the guy was ever sealed in the Master Sword, who's to say the two swords don't send everyone to the same realm? Near as backstories have shown the two swords have pretty similar origins.

But anyway if you haven't played FSA, play it. It really does (or should) explain a lot. If you have, perhaps replay it. I intend to after I've muddled through some of the other titles again. But it answers more than you seem to be giving it credit for.

If it did at some point take place prior to ALttP, how long ago and how does it connect to the IW with the Ganon issues I brought up?
My take on the timeline predates (but is supported by) Fi's quote about oral traditions: not the most reliable. I look at the multitudes in variants in the Arthurian legends and think the same rule may apply to Zelda. Yes, one game may say Ganon was turned into a beast by the Trident and another may say he was turned into a beast by the Triforce. It's still the BASIC same story. It's too similar to let the tiny differences matter.

We can also see it this way:

1. FSA Ganondorf was a Geurdo while the Gerudos were not even present in AlttP, however for all reasons we can assume that he was one too.
2. If I remember correctly there is no mentioning of the Dark World turning Ganondorf into Ganon in GBA AlttP.
3. FSA Ganon was sealed in the Four Sword, AlttP Ganon was sealed in the Dark World when the Four Sword was broken (or at least different from its form in TMC---FS/FSA).

It might seem unlikely that FSA Ganon = AlttP Ganon, however, there are similarities and the Palace of the Four Sword in GBA AlttP is quite indicative of the relationship between the two games, and in turn the Ganons.

/Blue Window

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
1. FSA Ganondorf was a Geurdo while the Gerudos were not even present in AlttP, however for all reasons we can assume that he was one too.
The notion of the Gerudo hadn't been thought out by the time of ALttP, so we can't expect them to be present in ALttP; however, this does not mean that they do not exist elsewhere in the world of Hyrule. It is apparent that FSA takes place sometime before ALttP, even if it is not the Seal War itself. We see Ganondorf and Gerudo in FSA, which is not too far away from ALttP in the grand scheme of things. We could also assume that the band of thieves that accompanied Ganondorf were Gerudo, but that isn't necessary, because the Gerudo had little interest in the Golden Power outside of Ganondorf, as far as we know. Even if they are a band of thieves, we see them in FSA as a nomadic tribe, not reliant on thievery in the slightest, so we can assume that the Gerudo have changed significantly since the days of OoT.
Blue Window said:
2. If I remember correctly there is no mentioning of the Dark World turning Ganondorf into Ganon in GBA AlttP.
This is stated both explicitly by many NPCs, in addition to being mentioned indirectly. It is clear that what transforms Ganondorf into Ganon is the power of the Dark World. The whole bit with the Trident of Power just bungled a perfectly reasonable explanation Nintendo had going for a long time, creating ambiguity and inconsistencies everywhere. Unfortunately, inconsistency is the story of FSA; this has led some to regard it as non-canon, but just because something doesn't fit well isn't enough of an excuse to pretend it doesn't exist.
Here are some quotes from GBA AlttP that suggest that it is the Dark World that transforms Ganondorf:

Ball-shaped Man in the Dark World said:
And everyone who wanders into
this land is changed to a shape
that reflects his true nature.
I'm always changing my mind,
so I turned into a ball...
But if you have a ball called
the Moon Pearl, you can keep
your original shape here.

Sahasrahla said:
Link, it is I, Sahasrahla the
elder. An orb known as the
Moon Pearl rests in this tower.
He who holds the Moon Pearl
is protected, and his form will
not change in the Dark World.
You must find it and escape
from the tower!
Do not forget the Moon Pearl...

Maiden said:
You are the only
one who can destroy
Ganondorf, the thief... No!
Ganon, the evil King of
Darkness!
This quote establishes that Ganon and Ganondorf are the same individual, and the maiden corrects herself by saying that Ganondorf the thief is now referred to as Ganon, the evil King of Darkness.

Tree Transformed by the Dark World said:
The man who last claimed the
Power of Gold wished for this
world. It reflects his heart.
Yes, I came here out of greed
for the Golden Power, and
look what happened to me...
To restore the Golden Land, a
person worthy of the Golden
Power must defeat the man who
created this place...
Until that time, I am stuck in
this bizarre shape.
But what a mischievous thing
to leave lying around...
The Power of Gold...
Triforce...
With some extrapolation, it is pretty clear that the tree is referring to Ganondorf, and that people who enter the Dark World are transformed by its power.

In response to the original poster, FSA was a very confusing game in terms of inconsistencies; in general, it caused more confusion than issues it resolved. Much of this arose from the disagreement in the development team, as the game was initially planned to explain the Seal War, but was then changed to something entirely different. Unfortunately, many of the elements that shared similarities to the Seal War were left in, and this created a game with implications that should have not been there in the final product. The end result is confusing, but the placement that makes the most sense for FSA is still before ALttP. Calling it a proper prequel would be an unfair statement, but it is probably a game that comes before ALttP.

To DuckNoises

About the Gerudo

My idea was simply that the Gerudo must have existed by the time Ganondorf was a man (since he should have had parents

About Ganon/Ganondorf

Thanks for those quotes. I had started to doubt that it was able to be proved via in-game evidence (even though it is fairly obvious that he was transformed by the power of the DW).

Nevertheless, there remains no problem (in my view) with him being able to be turned into Ganon by different means.

/Blue Window

A

ALonelyOddbod

Well i'd say yeah it is because i had ALTTP and didn't quite complete it, but i got to where you could go to the four sword place but couldn't get past some blocks :L so ultimately, yeah, i say it is.

what I never understood: If FSA is a prequel to ALttP, then the theory i heard the most is that after Link sealed Ganondorf in the FS, the FS was brought into the SR, there Ganon breaks it and then the maiden seal the entance to the SR. Now my question. Why would they bring the FS with Ganon traped inside it into the sacred realm. Ganon already tried to get ultimate power in Ocarina of Time by stealing the triforce and he did it again in TP or WW(depending on where yo place FSA in your timeline). So why would they bring the guy who at least tried to take over hyrule 3!!! times, two of them with the use of the Triforce? It doesn't make any sense

According to the official timeline, FSA and ALttP take place on different splits, with FSA taking place at a later time than ALttP does in its own split.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
1. Both these Ganon's were once Ganondorf and part of the Gerudo.
Yeah. So they CAN be tha same.

2. Both Ganon's were turned to the beast Ganon by either the Trident or Triforce.
No, it's never said not even suggested that Ganondorf is turned into Ganon BECAUSE of the Trident in FSA. It's just fan-speculation. Middleway through the game some Dekus start talking about Prince of Darkness Ganon (or something). Then one of the maidens says that she remembered of some Ganon... No, it was Ganondorf! King of Gerudos! So you go to the Gerudos and they say Ganon was their leader but betrayed them by entering the pyramid, so you enter and find that he stole the trident. Then when you meet him he's Ganon. That's it. There's no connection to the Trident! He was already able to become Ganon before stealing the Trident, or else the Dekus woldn't know him as "Prince Ganon". Probably he's Ganondorf while in the Light World and Ganon in the Dark World, in line with ALttP!

3. One Ganon was sealed in the Four Sword and the other in the Dark World.

Once again, it's never, not even once stated in the game that he's sealed in the sword! Zelda only says to USE the Four Sword to seal him. Seal him where? Don't you remember? The battle with Ganon in FSA takes place in the Dark World! So he's sealed there! Also in ALttP he needs the 7 maidens to escape, because he was sealed by their ancestors. They're said to be the 7 sages, but if you also consider FSA's maidens to be 7 sages' descendants, then it works just fine: he's freed at the beginning of FSA by kidnapping the maidens, they they once again seal him and everything returns as it was.

Now looking at this, how can FSA be a prequel to ALttP when it has nothing to do with ALttP's back story?

Now I said why it CAN be the prequel to ALttP, but why should it? There's a lot of connecions between the two games: I already mentioned the 7 maidens and the Dark World, but there also are many other items and enemies from the game, I won't list them all. Also the map looks just like ALttP's, but with many characters from OoT: the Gerudo tribe returns from OoT, but the desert is already called Desert of Mistery, like in ALttP. (Desert of Doubt in the english version, but the japanese name was the same) you also meet the spirits of Hyrule Knights, mentioned in ALttP's backstory!

So YEAH, to me FSA is, and will always be ALttP's prequel.

now a different topic: can the official timeline be wrong? About FSA i think it can. While many games were developed with the timeline in mind and just revailed in the official document (4 example the Oracle series, I believe) I think the FS saga was created as a side story, with no connection with the main events, and I never expected them to include it in an official timeline. But when they decided to do so, I think they had to find its place in the timeline, just like we do. They had to check the intros and manuals and stuff to see where it fits, so I believe their timeline to be as valid as ours, or maybe even less accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom