• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is English your first language?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
My medium of education is English. But outside school, English is my third language.
How about you guys? what's your mother tongue?
Mine is தமிழ் (Tamizh)
Also how do you write your language in your language?
What is your medium of education?
If you are not a native speaker, Have you faced any difficulties in expressing yourselves?
I have a slight stammer while speaking in English. But I'm clear when I chat (I guess?). I may misinterpret figurative speech and my handwriting is bad :P

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Dutch is my main language. Of course I write and speak it fluently :ham:
English is like my sec main language. I started it when I was five. Thanks to my oldest sister who was at high school and had english study books with pics in it explaining what was what. Of course internet and chatting helped me to improve it further

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Dutch is my main language. Of course I write and speak it fluently :ham:
English is like my sec main language. I started it when I was five. Thanks to my oldest sister who was at high school and had english study books with pics in it explaining what was what. Of course internet and chatting helped me to improve it further
How do you say/write Dutch in Dutch?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
despite my parents speaking spanish and growing up in mostly hispanic areas, my primary language is still english

for whatever reason my spanish never evolved beyond an elementary level, most of my friends can talk to their parents in spanish just fine, and even my older brother w/ my parents, meanwhile I can barley even hold out for more than a sentence

Magolor04726

Hum dee doo
English first.
I know some Spanish.
I know a very small amount of Mandarin.
And thanks to a translation video I watch for Punch Out!! I know a few phrases in French, German, Japanese, Hindi (Is that right? Whatever Great Tiger speaks), Russian, and Turkish. (I'm working on memorizing most of their lines. Don't ask why. I don't know either.)

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Swedish is my first language, and it's known as Svenska here.
Swedish is our main language for education as well, the exception being some university stuff where it's in english.
English is my second language, I also took a little bit of French in school (when I was 12-15), but I don't really remember any of it. French is a difficult language...
I have no issues reading or listening to English at all, I understand it just as well as Swedish. My writing is at least fairly good I'd say. Speaking english is the most difficult part for me, especially if I'm talking to someone who has it as their first language. I can speak it, no problems, just that my pronounciation and grammar may be a bit off, since I'm thinking in Swedish.

Dark Boo

The Darkest of Boos
English is my first language, I’m Canadian and live in Quebec, so I have to learn French as compulsory education.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It is my first and only language. Despite some somewhat serious attempts to learn German during my time in Europe, I never made it past the conversational stage.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
My first language, yes. I took Spanish for two years in HS, but don't remember much of what I learned, tbh.

I also know some Japanese phrases or words from studying Japanese history as a kid as well as being an animanga fan now.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Yes and the only other language I have learned is Japanese but its been so long I have forgotten most of it, just a few basic words and how to structure a sentence.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
English is my first language and has been my only language for most of my life so far. My Japanese is still getting pretty good but I have a long way to go still. The more you learn the more you realise you still have more to learn - it is such an uphill battle. I had a class tonight (which I take weekly) and in it we are doing things like watching videos and analysing online news articles (such as this one) about the impacts of COVID-19 on businesses and the economy so I think my level of comprehension is getting fairly decent by going through tasks like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom