• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Is Demise Supposed to Be This Easy?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
~ Spoilers for the actual boss fight, not story content. Doesn't including ending blow. ~

Alrighty, to prove a point to two members here, I did a little self-challenge (wouldn't call it challenge): I played against Demise, the final boss of Skyward Sword, with the following restrictions:
- Play the game with keyboard/mouse (meaning, no Wiimote)
- Shieldless
- No potions
And this is what turned out.

*turn volume down; might kill some earas*
[video=youtube;DAlzeILa1nE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAlzeILa1nE[/video]

To be honest, I used random sword slashes and he was still pie. Fighting him was a learning experience. Is it supposed to be this easy? To the point where you can beat with using a freakin' keyboard and mouse to beat the guy (which means only 8 direction slashes with tons of screwups because emulated WM+ isn't even close to complete)? Or do I just know what I'm doing?

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well...

1) I don't know if this is allowed on the forums, but w/e

2) Yes, he is ridiculously easy

3) I think you did a poor job even with an emulator, but this only further proves your point.

4) You didn't actually beat him--did he kill you afterwards?

5) If this were a real match on the Wii, you could have done it in less than a minute with no damage. I could and I am by no means an expert.

6) An expert could have done it in 30 seconds without a shield and no damage.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Hmmm, I should try out that challenge, or "challenge" as you might put it...

As to comment on Demise, I found the battle to be good. Hard? No. Challenging? Perhaps. He puts up a fight. Does that make sense? If you aren't any good, he will slaughter you. If you are, he's easy.

/rambling :/

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would like to point out that you're left with 3 hearts at the end of the battle and you had 20 to start with, alongside of the first phase going from 2 hearts of damage per hit to 1, meaning you had to have lowered the damage ratio (and you also didn't show if you beat him or not, possibly because you lost?). You also clearly had to use skill to do what you did, as you exploited his weaknesses and tactically avoided his attacks. This isn't the kind of "roflstomp" you implied in the Shoutbox whatsoever. This took effort whether you want to admit it or not.

So, yes, it's because you have skill, not because he's too easy.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I didn't lose the battle; the shake function of emulated Wiimotion plus does not work (means I need a physical nunchuck to do anything; did anyone notice that I didn't use the spin attack, not even once). If I can't shake, it means I can't Fatal Blow. There would be no point in showing me ceaselessly knocking Demise on the ground only for him to get back up, would there?

@JJ I actually started with 16; handicapped myself there. Also, I ended it with 3 hearts thanks to the keyboard/mouse setup; due to placements of keys on my keyboard (WASD for movement, IJKL for directional sword swings, left click for the A button), I cannot easily backflip when needed. Still, it's testament that Demise is a ridiculously easy boss - with a handicap, he still couldn't kill me outright.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
@JJ I actually started with 16; handicapped myself there. Also, I ended it with 3 hearts thanks to the keyboard/mouse setup; due to placements of keys on my keyboard (WASD for movement, IJKL for directional sword swings, left click for the A button), I cannot easily backflip when needed. Still, it's testament that Demise is a ridiculously easy boss - with a handicap, he still couldn't kill me outright.

Okay, that's my fault for the first part, but everything else is valid. It takes skill to do what you did. Most people wouldn't have lasted past the first phase. This video is the ultimate proof that beating him takes understanding of how the mechanics of the game work and sheer effort. It's not difficulty due to cheapness. It's difficulty due to depth.

Are you kidding me? He was sucking out there (no offense, Ventus).

Read what I said above.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Are you kidding me? He was sucking out there (no offense, Ventus).

None taken. I know I sucked; only a Wiimote player who isn't paying attention to the game could take damage where I did. One moment I'd like to point out in particular would be 2:19. Anyone would realize "well, damn, I should jump out of the way". Did you see me jump out of the way? Nope. I took it like a fool.

Demise is based on how good the player is at sword-fighting. If you're a skilled expert, of course he's easy. But if you're not, he is like a juggernaut. I've tried defeat to Demise with no lightning strike and he was a monster, on normal difficultly no less. I don't think this show Demise's easiness but rather your advanced skills as a Zelda veteran.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Okay, that's my fault for the first part, but everything else is valid. It takes skill to do what you did. Most people wouldn't have lasted past the first phase. This video is the ultimate proof that beating him takes understanding of how the mechanics of the game work and sheer effort. It's not difficulty due to cheapness. It's difficulty due to depth.

It hardly takes skill. Here I'm speaking about Demise w/shield. It might take a quick mind to adapt to Demise's obvious patterns (you can manipulate him via your proximity to him, see where I place Link in the vid) without a death or two - this means a tiny bit of trial and error as well as "luck" on the player's part [luck because you wouldn't have thoroughly tested him, which means you would be going off a few experiences...there *might* be other patterns to his AI for all you – the tester – know] - but there isn't much beyond that for the first phase. I slashed in random directions: literally pressed right, left, up, down, left, right in a few cases. That managed to get me to phase two.

The second phase is entirely too obvious. For whatever reason, the devs thought it smart to tell the player via cutscene to raise their blade for some lightning action. Let's assume you get hit by Demise's lightning strike. Okay, menial damage (two hearts). A little bit later, you will see the camera pan to him (again), which is cue for you to INSTANTLY RAISE YOUR BLADE SKYWARD. After that, merely strike at him to stun him, slash at him a bunch, and repeat the cycle. Aside from the Lightning element, the second phase is almost copy paste of the first.

I apologize if anything I said was rude. I mean no offense to anyone at all. Read: I'm not judging anyone's skill; this is about Demise's simplicity and why he's a horrible final boss [to me]. My point here is that Demise is too easy a boss for a handicapped user to go through him sloppily and still come out on top.

DarkestLink

A little bit later, you will see the camera pan to him (again), which is cue for you to INSTANTLY RAISE YOUR BLADE SKYWARD. After that, merely strike at him to stun him, slash at him a bunch, and repeat the cycle.

And if you aren't confident, slash him a little bit, back away, raise your sword, and by the time he recovers, you will have another lightning strike ready to go.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I think demise is a great final boss there is no one statagy to defeat him. I know people who cant do the 3 shiled bashes in a row but can do the lightning, some the other way around.

DarkestLink

I think demise is a great final boss there is no one statagy to defeat him. I know people who cant do the 3 shiled bashes in a row but can do the lightning, some the other way around.

I understand people have timing issues, but how do you not do the lightning? You're just...holding your hand up.

I understand people have timing issues, but how do you not do the lightning? You're just...holding your hand up.

I have a friend who didn't realize that he can do lightning strike until after he'd beaten Demise. He was told by Fi that the Skyward Strike is unavailable during the first phase of the battle and assumed that the same goes true with the second phase. Thus he had to fight Demise with the shield bash and after beating him, he proclaimed that Demise was one of the hardest bosses he had ever faced in a Zelda game because of that. It wasn't until later that he realized that the lightning strike is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom