• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Death Sword Phantom Ganon?

I'm not much of a Zelda theorist anymore post Breath of the Wild but I recently watched a theory that I think has mileage and would like to know what the theorists on this site think of it.

The link to the actual video will be posted below but ultimately the theory posits that Death Sword could possibly be Phantom Ganon.

The sword itself is theorised to have been used by Ganondorf in the events before his execution at the Arbiters Grounds.

The Sages, unable to destroy the sword, locked the sword up and bound the phantom inside of it.

The black metal and gold designs of the sword are likened to Ganondorf's armour and Death Sword itself is likened to Phantom Ganon due to it sharing certain resemblances such as horns, levitating and throwing orbs of magic.

Do you think Death Sword could have belonged to Ganondorf and do you think the spirit inside is Phantom Ganon?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Ganondorf doesn't go in for big chopping swords and it's too crude to be phantom ganon's, it's more akin to an executioners sword than anything, and note the seal on the sword is dispelled possibly indicating that akin to other supernatural beings it's strength finally superceded the seal (a la Bongo Bongo), the sword is also MUCH bigger than ganondorf, hell i think even ganon would struggle a bit with it. Ganondorf and even Phantom Ganondorf when they go for blades seem to have a thing for elegance in their weapons, ones that are finely tuned for combat that thing is literally a giant chopper.

Honestly i've always leaned towards the Death Sword being a spirit sealed in the blade or the spirit of the last executioner of Arbiters ground who was sealed away on his death fore he became bloodthirsty. If anything else the game confirms it's on the same level as poes generally speaking though i'd imagine the real question being why are the 4 arbiter poes different from all others? Thinking on it i suppose it accurate to go with the grim reaper analogy because it seems like poes became soul steals in TP (Jovani's soul became 60 poes) and so could you imagine the unearthly creature whose sole existence was to destroy the gerudos. Also let's just question the TP sages cuz their motives sure as hell weren't pure. They chose to cast judgement on Ganondorf something they cannot rightfully do so i think the fact the dorf lived through their sentencing was more a divine judgement on the sages that any joke of theirs.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
My guess is the sword somehow acts as a focal point for all the angry spirits and damned souls and bad vibes and whatever other freaky stuff went on in Arbiter's Grounds. It collects all the anger and darkness and evil to prevent it all from wreaking havoc throughout the dungeon and maybe even corrupting the surrounding desert or the land of Hyrule itself. But holding all that evil causes the sword to take on a life of its own and for that it has to be tied down and sealed to prevent it from going on a rampage.

But yeah, the thing is too large to have been wielded by Ganondorf. It could be the remnants of Phantom Ganon. It would make sense that one of Ganondorf's minions and a personal construct of his no less would be sealed away in the same dungeon Ganondorf was imprisoned in before his execution if the sages couldn't find a way to destroy it.

It could just be the sword of some other inmate or demon or other monster than was subdued and imprisoned in Arbiter's Grounds long ago. Whatever it was, perhaps the creature's spirit still possesses it.

I personally think that it was a old execution sword and was used by the sages. The dark power from the executions, (mainly Ganon) caused them to put a seal on it and put it in the ground as well as putting talismans on the ropes that tied it down.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I personally think that it was a old execution sword and was used by the sages. The dark power from the executions, (mainly Ganon) caused them to put a seal on it and put it in the ground as well as putting talismans on the ropes that tied it down.

Problem with claiming that ganon contributed to this lies in the Sword of Six Sages he wields during the showdown with link he literally pulls the sword from his chest and slays a sage.

I like the idea though that the sword became focal point for dark energy.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think death sword is the old execution sword before the sword of the sages was used and I think Tingle was executed with it and his spirit possessed the blade. Although the man appears outwardly jolly I think the Death Sword is what his soul would look like as he is actually an evil man.

D

Deleted member 88720

I could see the sword being a corrupted transformation of the sage that Ganon killed off the get-go, but to me that wouldn't make a lot of sense since both sword designs are vastly different. Then again, it isn't conclusive how the Sages themselves work, but I would be more inclined to agree that the blade is a version of Phantom Ganon. I'd render that plausible.

I personally doubt it just because we see what probably is (or are, rather) the Phantom Ganon(s) of Twilight Princess in the third phase of the final battle.

That’s not to say Phantom Riders are 100% Phantom Ganon(s), but the horns and the horse riding (especially when Ganondorf is riding a horse in the same battle) leads me to believe it’s likely these are the Twilignt Princess incarnations of Phantom Ganon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom