• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is Breath of the Wild as memorable as other Zelda games?

Will you keep certain places and events in BotW's design and story close to your heart as a Zelda fan going forward?

Did you find enough enjoyment in BotW to make fond memories as you may have done with other titles in the series?

Or did you find it so dull and uneventful that there's nothing for you to look back fondly on?

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Because of it's flaw when in comes to story (one of the few flaws it has), I probably wont remember it as much as some other ones. At least not specific things about it

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Zora's domain is one of the only things I look back fondly on but the rest was a bore. Like poor man's assassins creed. Doesn' mean I'll forget it though, my dissapointment and frustration at the direction the game took with storytelling and the irritation at the pointless and empty feel of the game will last a long time.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
As an overall experience? Sure. For better and for worse. But individual parts of the game? ...No. Granted I've only played played it 8 times, but I don't think I could pick out a specific memory in the game (save for one) because, while generally fun, the shrines were of much lower quality than the dungeons, they were all too similar, and the overworld was really generic and boring.

There is one one memory I could pick out from my first playthrough and that would be visiting the Gerudo Highlands. Ironically it's because the Gerudo Highlands were so unmemorable. I remember seeing that vast mountain so high that I couldn't see it past the clouds. I decided to put my trip to the Gerudo Desert on pause, tried to climb this mountain, and ended up exhausting all my food supplies and still couldn't reach the top. I swore to return when I was prepared. A couple of DBs and memories later, I got enough cost res gear to climb the mountain. I climbed and climbed, wondering what amazing thing I'd find at top. What amazing rare treasure, what hidden village, what ancient lore, or ultimate being waited for me up there? Half an hour of climbing later, I keep thinking I've reached the top--but no there's more. Climbing, climbing, climbing...finally I reach the top and I find....nothing. Nothing there...no reward, no hidden monk, no Goddess awaiting me...just nothing.

In my disbelief, I saw the sword and thought maybe this was tied to a hidden quest. Was this Din's sword or something? Did I need to do something to interact with it so I could get Din's blessing or something? I stayed there for an hour, desperate to find out what this legendary sword was for, before finally giving up and leaving. Though tbh, even when I left I was in disbelief and kept looking for something. Some Sheikah Elder waiting to send me on a quest. Anything. I later learned the sword was just part of a statue...I can't even begin to describe my disappointment.

Is Breath of the Wild as memorable as other Zelda games?
Yes. Lack of story and it is mostly unobtrusive so it made playing the game much more memorable and enjoyable for me. Unlike Toilet Princess for example. I tried three times to play that pile of crap. BotW has it own flaws sure but Nintendo has done the right thing and taken it in the right direction.

Climbing, climbing, climbing...finally I reach the top and I find....nothing. Nothing there...no reward, no hidden monk, no Goddess awaiting me...just nothing.
There is a lynel there. Waiting to be killed. That is your reward and the loot you get from the dumb corpse. wtf is wrong with you?

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I think of it rather fondly, and still go back to play it. I have hundreds of hours of playtime.

I think the character designs in the game were top-notch. Love the look of the Zora (even if I am more nostalgic for OoT/MM models) and the variety that race showed in particular. The Rito's overhaul in design was weird at first, but I think I like the more animal design in comparison to them being part human.

I love it in any game when it let's me customize my character. There's something about having that option that makes the game that much more fun to me. Yeah I'm playing Link, but my armor choices/look can be totally different from another player's, and I like that.

The option of movement was great too. I love climbing stuff. I love shield surfing. The dang motorcycle they added at the end was fun, and, it may be a slightly unpopular opinion, but I love most of how horses were handled. Going out and finding that grade A horse with the stats I want was fun in its own way, and then having said steed was great. You can name them, dress them up a bit, it's neat and fun. Woulda liked more variety and for the inclusion of what the guardian gear gave us in the base game (teleport that boy from anywhere for good get aways), but yeah. I liked that a lot, and I think the biggest area I see where movement wasn't too great was in the water, but I guess adding underwater sections would have been a bit of a hassle, especially with access to the ocean, and I guess I can settle with climbing up waterfalls. Also, using stasis and log surfing, or rigging up random little contraptions or objects to launch yourself, and praying that that works is fun in its own rite. Stasis is definitely my most used rune, and for good reason.

The biggest part of BotW to me was just the aspect of discovery. Finding stuff in the game was its own reward. Seeing different ways you can interact with objects and enemies, and seeing how enemies and npcs interact with objects and other enemies made the game feel more alive than past Zeldas. I still can't hurt NPCs (not that I particularly want to), but seeing them at least flinch and react when you swing a weapon near them was a decent touch, as well as them panicking when an enemy was nearby, and them being able to attack/be attacked by an enemy was a nice touch too. Anyone who didn't know about moblins chucking bokoblins at you, and not laughing when they first saw it happen is lying. There's a lot of little touches in the game that I love.

Is the game perfect? No, but I loved it, the same way I'm very fond of and love older Zelda titles. I can't think of a "perfect" Zelda, they all have flaws, but that's to be expected, and like other Zelda's I enjoy, the good outweighs the bad in my books.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The only thing really memorable are the lynels and molduga's the rest is rather forgettable especially the stupid ass koroks.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh definitely yes. I loved exploring, discovering shrines, doing combat battles against guardians, discovering my fluffy bokoblins. I have fond memories of BotW. I hardly play it anymore because there isn't much left to do but the game is memorable to me.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Will you keep certain places and events in BotW's design and story close to your heart as a Zelda fan going forward?

Did you find enough enjoyment in BotW to make fond memories as you may have done with other titles in the series?

Or did you find it so dull and uneventful that there's nothing for you to look back fondly on?
Well to start, remember memorable can be good, bad, or simply different.

The 2 Zelda games I forget exist most are Minish Cap for sure, and the Link's Awakening.

• OG was OG
  • II was hard and side scrolling
  • A Link To The Past Was Great
  • Link's Awakening was not very special
  • OoT was the First 3d game and great
  • Majora's Mask had the Time mechanic and Was great
  • Oracle Games came together
  • Wind Waker was the first Toon Game and was kinda unique with its focus and exploration
  • Minish Cap wasn't special
  • Twilight Princess was edgy, great, and just OoT updated
  • PH and ST were failures
  • SS was great to me, also my first game, along with the motion controls but memorable as a failure to everyone else
  • LBW has ties to ALTTP and had the painting mech
  • TFH was a failure
  • BoTW was big.
  • We're not counting FS or any of the FS games. Or the Cdi games

So, yeah, BoTW was memorable. Simply because it was different in a small way. It was big

To me, Breath of the Wild is a one and done experience. I had fun with it back when I picked up the Wii U version. I've had the Switch version lying around for over a year now but have no desire to really play it. I feel like I've seen most things in this world, and that first experience is memorable to me. I'm glad we finally got lynels in a 3D Zelda game, the runes were all unique abilities that added some fun to puzzle solving, and the weather is what we'd been clamoring for years for on ZD. But it doesn't hook me back into it. So while the game is fairly recent in my memory, it has its memorable parts. But I think that will fade over time as I have less of an urge to replay it compared to other 3D Zelda games due to the disappointing story and my favorite part of Zelda games, dungeons, being forgettable.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think it's the most memorable to date. It was such a grand adventure and the world was so amazing and brilliant, it's hard to forget about it. The musical scores were splendid and were used very well. Exploring the ruins of Hyrule and rediscovering your past self in your own way was very, very fun. The Divine Beasts in particular really stand out at making the game memorable. Battling giant mechs and then exploring and piloting them as dungeons was amazing and I think they were very underrated. Plus, Link's design in the game is his best look in the series, so it's also memorable in that aspect. There's a lot that stands out about BotW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom