• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is BotW your least favourite for anything?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Zelda isn't exactly known for appealing NPC designs.
Screenshot_47.png

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
How empty the world felt. The world itself is the most beautiful of all the games, but there wasn’t enough going on in that world. It was too empty. With it being the largest of all the games, there was so much potential to fill it up way more than it was.

That...doesn't make any sense. It was empty because it was big, not in spite of this. Nintendo has struggled and failed to fill the much smaller worlds, there was no way they were going to fill one this big. Hell, you could have put in all the side content from previous 3D Zelda games and it still would have been empty due to the sheer size of it.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
That...doesn't make any sense. It was empty because it was big, not in spite of this. Nintendo has struggled and failed to fill the much smaller worlds, there was no way they were going to fill one this big. Hell, you could have put in all the side content from previous 3D Zelda games and it still would have been empty due to the sheer size of it.
I disagree, but that’s alright. There’s no reason why they couldn’t have filled the world up more than they did.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Nintendo has struggled and failed to fill the much smaller worlds, there was no way they were going to fill one this big.

I wouldn't say that Nintendo struggled to fill BotW's Hyrule. A Hyrule with "something to do" every ten feet is a Hyrule that smashes your suspension of disbelief. A real forest doesn't have a waterfall every ten feet, or an ancient and haunted tree, or an abandoned shack. The spacial emptiness of Hyrule doesn't make the world feel less alive, it makes Hyrule feel relatable. When you do come across the skeleton of a giant Leviathan or the ruins of a settlement, that situation becomes fascinating and engaging in contrast to the relative monotony of most of the world. Nintendo doesn't struggle and fail to fill the world of Hyrule, they simply know better than we how to construct a vibrant and exciting world.

DarkestLink

I wouldn't say that Nintendo struggled to fill BotW's Hyrule. A Hyrule with "something to do" every ten feet is a Hyrule that smashes your suspension of disbelief. A real forest doesn't have a waterfall every ten feet, or an ancient and haunted tree, or an abandoned shack. The spacial emptiness of Hyrule doesn't make the world feel less alive, it makes Hyrule feel relatable. When you do come across the skeleton of a giant Leviathan or the ruins of a settlement, that situation becomes fascinating and engaging in contrast to the relative monotony of most of the world. Nintendo doesn't struggle and fail to fill the world of Hyrule, they simply know better than we how to construct a vibrant and exciting world.

1) It's a game. Keeping the player entertained is more important than anything else.

2) How is this relatable? I'd find more activity even in our own world.

A real forest doesn't have a waterfall every ten feet, or an ancient and haunted tree, or an abandoned shack. The spacial emptiness of Hyrule doesn't make the world feel less alive, it makes Hyrule feel relatable. When you do come across the skeleton of a giant Leviathan or the ruins of a settlement, that situation becomes fascinating and engaging in contrast to the relative monotony of most of the world. Nintendo doesn't struggle and fail to fill the world of Hyrule, they simply know better than we how to construct a vibrant and exciting world.
Ditto.
Botw felt more realistic than previous games.
Although I understand that most players are after all bells and whistles. For me emptiness worked well

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
This one is my least favorite for how Zelda was utilized.

You get this big build-up of a relationship between her and Link, and... that's pretty much it. No chance to directly interact with her.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
1) It's a game. Keeping the player entertained is more important than anything else.

No doubt, video games are entertainment. I didn't intent to make it sounds as if video games aren't entertainment. I guess I'll simply have to fallaciously invoke an appeal to authority and say that the third highest rated game in the world (by aggregate) is a game that many people found to be enjoyable.

2) How is this relatable? I'd find more activity even in our own world.

The following sentenceis my reasoning for claiming that the game is relatable due to its sparse vastness.

When you do come across the skeleton of a giant Leviathan or the ruins of a settlement, that situation becomes fascinating and engaging in contrast to the relative monotony of most of the world.

The fun part is that when our compliant is that our world offers even more activities than a video game, that game is doing pretty well for itself. The relatability to which I'm referring is that of a monotonous world where breaks in the monotony are truly worth investigating.

DarkestLink

No doubt, video games are entertainment. I didn't intent to make it sounds as if video games aren't entertainment. I guess I'll simply have to fallaciously invoke an appeal to authority and say that the third highest rated game in the world (by aggregate) is a game that many people found to be enjoyable.

To be honest, I wouldn't consider gaming critics to be an authority, especially since many (if not most) aren't gamers and there has been a sort of "war" between them and gamers for the last few years. ...Although that might be the media industry as a whole. I notice the same thing is happening with movie critics.

The fun part is that when our compliant is that our world offers even more activities than a video game, that game is doing pretty well for itself. The relatability to which I'm referring is that of a monotonous world where breaks in the monotony are truly worth investigating.

But isn't it rather monotonous to find the same thing over and over again? I mean when I climbed the Gerudo Highlands, it might have been exciting if that was the only White Lynel in the game and had some unique loot or something, but it was just a feeling of "Oh another one of those? Well that was a wasted trip."

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Inspired by Spirit’s thread (your favourites in BotW, https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/is-botw-your-favourite-for-anything.64246/), let’s hear the opposite side. Is there something in BotW that was done the worst in the history of the Legend of Zelda series?

Considering BotW is my all time favourite videogame, I’m surprised I can easily come up with atleast one thing that was done the worst in the series. It is the final battle. I wish it was more challenging. AoL degree of difficulty would be nice. It’s almost impossible to die. Some have suggested that it’s more like an interactive cutscene kind of show. Okay, perhaps in my second playthrough I’ll feel less bummed out or even learn to appreciate it if think the final battle differently. Whatsoever, in the first playtime I felt that this part of the game could have been better. It was the easiest boss fight in the series. At least of those Zelda games I’ve played so far.

What’s your least favourite in BotW?

Well I might actually say I was going to say that it did not have the worst anything actually. I mean I guess you can say narrative structure because it's open world game but who gives a **** about that anyway? If you want a good plot, read a book or watch a movie.

I did very little side questing throughout the game so I could have said that, but it occurred to me that I did do the memory collecting thing (which gave a bonus cutscene at the end). So side quests weren't bad either, even if not many of them stood out.

Dungeons weren't bad, just not as sophisticated as in the other 3D games. Yet BotW's dungeons were not the worst because looking back at the NES Zelda games' dungeons, they were pretty bland and simple.

ACTUALLY Yes!!!

1. WORST WEAPON SYSTEM Ever!!!! THEY ALL BREAK!!! Even the Master Sword doesn't last; nor does the Previously Indestructible Hylian Shield(It may take a long time, BUT IT STILL BREAKS)
2. UNORIGINAL DUNGEON Themes(seriously; all 4 Divine Beasts Looked the same on the inside; same textures, same terminals, same Boss type(Blight Ganons), etc
3. WORST COMPLETION Bonus(A Golden Piece of S***)
4. Drowning in Water

Seriously; In the Next Open-Air Zelda;
Here's what I Expect:
A. Make the Master Sword & Hylian Shield indestructable; though don't give it to link at the start(for the following points under this one)
B. A Weapons-Crafting System, to make Weapons & Shields last MUCH longer than just a few strikes; using any & all material you collect in the overworld
C. MORE Interesting And Creative Designs for traditional dungeons(unlike the lackluster Divine Beasts interior design, which uses the same Bloody Textures)
D. The Ability to Swim & Dive Underwater; with a Blue Underwater Stamina Meter; with the best possible Swimming Controls the developers can make;
E. The Ability to Fly in the Air(It is OPEN-AIR; so It needs to be able to fly in order to make Open-Air more than just a Nintendo Trademark that doesn't mean anything, as there's nothing to make it different, so it wouldn't just be classified as yet another Open-world Game)
F. Linkle(I Don't care where she is in this game; I just Wanna see her in more games & not solely exclusive to Hyrule Warriors or its 2 ports)

Last edited:
Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Dungeons weren't bad, just not as sophisticated as in the other 3D games. Yet BotW's dungeons were not the worst because looking back at the NES Zelda games' dungeons, they were pretty bland and simple.

Even many 3D games are not that good. Often, if you have been in ten dungeons, you have a pretty good idea of the layouts of 90% of the dungeons in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom