• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is Botw actually bad?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I think it honestly depends on whoever is playing it. Me personally, I didn't think botw was bad at all. I had fun on the main quest, and I had fun just wandering around using my imagination and just doing generally stupid stuff. It does seem a little pointless, bit also satisfying. If you look hard enough you'll find something new, something you never noticed before. Botw by far isn't my favorite Zelda game, I missed a bit of that structure and story. But having a chance to just make the game whatever you saw fit was pretty cool too.

BotW is not ‘bad’ .
I suspect it’s just not what the Zelda fans expected!
For me coming to BotW with no previous experience of any Zelda game it was and still is fantastic! I still love the way it’s set out, I love the way the characters move-so lifelike and I love the open world.
I do agree a lot of the Shrines are a pain, some I like others are just plain boring and yes the weapons are annoying!
I still love the game tho!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I enjoyed the game a lot. A huge lot. It really depends on what you expect of a Zelda game or any game in general. The game pushes you to think how to use weapons and items in the best possible way so you won't spill anything. I think when it comes to gameplay it's a step forward. You're able to explore everything. To me at least it has the best a game could offer so far. But again that's personal.
Of course it has flaws. Could they have improved things? Yes. But lets be honest, when you analyse every game you always find something to be sceptical about. And that's a good thing because it pushes developers to continue working on a game.
When it comes to story I like AoC better to be honest.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
BotW is a bad Zelda game, and a good-ish open world game.

It takes away too many things that are staples in the franchise, like proper dungeons, an emphasis on a strong soundtrack and on a more streamlined narrative.

As an open world game, it lacks real settlements, and, come on, a mountainous region without a single cave? And the variety of enemies is severely poor.
Imo the best Nintendo open world game is Xenoblade Chronicles X, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Depends on what you’re after and if you’re coming into it with the expectation of it following a traditional Zelda formula but it certainly isn’t objectively bad. Especially when you consider this poll of 50000 Japanese people just voted it the best game of all time.

Revali_is_Best

Return of Revali
Bruh, I LOVE BotW
It's my favorite game of the Zelda series, and tied for my favorite of all time. The story is light enough that you don't have too much to worry about (sorry Zelda), the music is dynamic, and the graphics are, from what I've heard somewhere, like a beautiful watercolor painting.

Furthermore, all of you guys who say Ocarina is the best: No hard feelings, but it's not as great as you say
The story's basic, even the 3DS graphics aren't the greatest, and the music is outdated

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Bruh, I LOVE BotW
It's my favorite game of the Zelda series, and tied for my favorite of all time. The story is light enough that you don't have too much to worry about (sorry Zelda), the music is dynamic, and the graphics are, from what I've heard somewhere, like a beautiful watercolor painting.

Furthermore, all of you guys who say Ocarina is the best: No hard feelings, but it's not as great as you say
The story's basic, even the 3DS graphics aren't the greatest, and the music is outdated
I guarantee you that almost nobody here thinks that OoT is the best game in the series, though I’d definitely still put it above BotW.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Bruh, I LOVE OOT

Furthermore, all of you guys who say botw is the best: No hard feelings, but it's not as great as you say
The story's basic, even the switch graphics aren't the greatest, and the music is bland and forgettable

BotW is my third favorite behind both WW and MM, tied with SS because they almost seem like opposites in what I enjoy about them.

Ican understand people not liking it, but those who say it’s not an actual Zelda game, I just do not get it. Kinda the point that they let a lot of younger devs take the reigns and breathe new life into the series with fresh ideas that would change a lot of the tired, old Zelda cliches.

The fundamentals are all still there, especially in exploration. Things like the dungeons being not so great, I’d argue that with the last one, and while the rest weren’t necessarily great, I have a hard time believing people think dungeons from TP were so much better when 99% of them had the most brain dead level design in the series. Both MM and SS dungeon design stomp all over them, never mind the Oracle games. But my point is, dungeons aren’t the only thing to value in aZelda game; I’ve always found it way more fun to explore the overworld and interact with all the fun characters. Unfortunately due to how large it is, BotW can’t afford to have all of its characters have depth, but there’s still very many interesting ones. Even if the sidequest rewards themselves are kinda bleh, it’s more about the journey.

I would have liked some repair system for weapons, but otherwise I liked most weapons not lasting too long. It helped to make each feel useful and versatile. Most RPGs get boring sticking with the same stuff all the time. It also adds depth in thinking about whether it is worth it to try to avoid combat or maybe even thinkoutside the box with the physics and other abilities, environmental design, etc.

Just about the only thing I would have really wanted to change was the voice acting. Was kinda proven right after so many people whined about not having it and me saying Nintendo would be cheap about it and hire untalented people for the English cast. How Fromsoft can afford better actors I’m not sure. Zelda herself is definitely the worst but the rest just do not fit the tone of the story.

How is it wrong? Plenty of other games use this concept pretty well, one in particular being Fallout: New Vegas using stronger enemies to deter players from certain areas until they gain better items or level up or learn to outsmart them, etc. That and why even bother putting in a stealth system if it’s not made useful? It is nice to have a challenge for once in a 3D Zelda game that doesn’t amount to simply buffing enemies but taking into account resources and actually gauging whether every little outpost is worth taking over or going around.

Revali_is_Best

Return of Revali
@Mikey the Moblin I see what you did there. The weird techno sound to the music is outdated for OoT. BotW has such great songs as Hyrule Castle, Revali's Theme, Tarry Town...

The graphics are better than any game in the Zelda series:
BotWimages.jpeg OoTUnknown.jpeg

It's okay that you like OoT more than BotW, but I didn't like it very much when I played it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom