• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is BOTW a Trilogy?

What do you think? i believe that we are gonna to get two more Breath of the Wild games and Ganondorf will appear until the third game i dont think Nintendo wants to end BOTW hype with the Second game

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Yes and No.

BotW and BotW 2 are in the same timeline.

HW-AoC is in an alternate universe that poses itself as an alternate timeline.

It is more like a spin-off.
Take a look at Twilight Princess and Link's Crossbow Training.
Same world.
But not a sequel.
Different gameplay and one is basically not in the main continuity.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Yes.

I didn't think it was even a possibility but considering the ongoing story, the timing (considering the Switch could have four more years left in it), and now the logo and title, I think it's even likely. The third title has likely been in development for 2 years and will continue the story of Breath of the wild. It will likely release on the switch and it's successor simultaneously, but be built for the switch making these three Zelda games. The switch trilogy. The third title will also follow the same naming convention, "___ of the ___". This is going to happen, calling it.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not until further notice, no.

Trilogy implies a series of games with a linked narrative. Age of Calamity is incredibly disconnected from Breath of the Wild, and BotW2 hasn't revealed enough about its story to say whether or not it's going to be a followup to the previous game or just play fast and loose with chronology like the series is best known for.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger

Trilogy implies a series of games with a linked narrative. Age of Calamity is incredibly disconnected from Breath of the Wild, and BotW2 hasn't revealed enough about its story to say whether or not it's going to be a followup to the previous game or just play fast and loose with chronology like the series is best known for.
I mean, yes and no. You're contention is compelling and agreeable but you do of course have like the three Mario Party games on three N64 being the MP64 trilogy for instance. They do need to be linked (haha) but simply sharing a console and franchise could be enough. For instance, I think the way I described a Zelda Switch trilogy could easily be called a trilogy even if the stories weren't linked. It would simply be a way of referring to three of the games in the series by grouping them together. A trilogy definitely can imply a narrative arch though, and I agree the jury is still out on that.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I mean, yes and no. You're contention is compelling and agreeable but you do of course have like the three Mario Party games on three N64 being the MP64 trilogy for instance. They do need to be linked (haha) but simply sharing a console and franchise could be enough. For instance, I think the way I described a Zelda Switch trilogy could easily be called a trilogy even if the stories weren't linked. It would simply be a way of referring to three of the games in the series by grouping them together. A trilogy definitely can imply a narrative arch though, and I agree the jury is still out on that.

If three games in a series having similar names is enough to make a trilogy, then the entirety of Zelda is a trilogy. :eyes:

I would only consider something like Mass Effect or Bioshock to be a trilogy. Three related games whose narratives carries through to each entry in some way. Nothing about Breath of the Wild's narrative carries over into Age of Calamity.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
If three games in a series having similar names is enough to make a trilogy, then the entirety of Zelda is a trilogy. :eyes:

I would only consider something like Mass Effect or Bioshock to be a trilogy. Three related games whose narratives carries through to each entry in some way. Nothing about Breath of the Wild's narrative carries over into Age of Calamity.
It would be something of a straw man to say that I'm contending that any three things that can be grouped are a trilogy. I'm pointing out that the term trilogy can be used simply to group things. That being the case, I think the term trilogy could easily become common parlance for referring to three disparate Zelda games on the Switch as "the switch trilogy".

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It would be something of a straw man to say that I'm contending that any three things that can be grouped are a trilogy. I'm pointing out that the term trilogy can be used simply to group things. That being the case, I think the term trilogy could easily become common parlance for referring to three disparate Zelda games on the Switch as "the switch trilogy".

They could call those games a trilogy, but they would be wrong. |:<

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.

I think the hypothetical trilogy here would be Breath of the Wild -> Tears of the Kingdom -> ??? of the ??? with AoC simply being a spinoff in the same universe, and not part of the triology.

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
Perhaps we may one day get a game set in the time period 10,000 years before Breath of the Wild?
A game which shows off the Hero of the Calamity's story unfold.
Some questions may be answered in this hypothetical entry, such as the importance of the dragons, the origins of the dead leviathans, and (if Tears of the Kingdom don't reveal much) the allegiances of the Zonai people?
Though of course, many secrets should not be unveiled and new mysteries should be woven!

It would be interesting to see the world we have known since 2017 receive a technological boost as the landscape of Hyrule is remixed with sheikha technology and other such things.
A game where Link is mocked by his fellow Hylians for wanting to use a standard sword instead of their advanced technology.
A Hyrule that has mostly forgotten the old ways and, their hubris and arrogance, might be the very thing that sets off the Great Calamity?

It sure would explain why the Guardians and Divine Beasts would be buried away to be forgotten for eons.
"Our kingdom nearly fell. Our reliance on these advanced technologies made us arrogant and foolish! Our Guardians fought the demons but were no match for the source of the Calamity! Instead, a mere boy with a truly divine sword and not our mockeries of divinity that we call 'divine beasts' was what could truly wound and seal away the Calamity Ganon! By royal decree, we must bury away these technologies until our people can re-learn the values of the Gods and forgive ourselves for our hubris!"

This hypothetical game would technically make it a trilogy.
A good title for it would be...
The Legend of Zelda: Blight of the Calamity

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Nah, I wouldn't call it that disconnected. Sure, the events of AoC fall on a separate timeline, but it can't first exist without the events of BotW to set it up. It is a game that is clearly heavily intended to be experienced with full knowledge of the events of BotW for the best appreciation of it. It is not a prequel, and while it isn't all the way to a sequel, either, it still narratively comes in between BotW and TotK. It's a stop along the road between the two, not a stand-alone side story. Calling BotW, AoC, and TotK a trilogy is completely fair. A trio of stories that take place consecutively is the purest example of a trilogy there is, but that isn't the only way a trilogy can exist. These three games are meant to be grouped together and there is a pretty clear order in which the player is intended to absorb the story between all three of them. That's a trilogy in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom