• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is "bombable" a Word?

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
Of course it is use all the time when talking about Zelda. Meaning something that will be destroyed or damaged if you place a bomb next to it.

Can you think of any other situation, other than Zelda games, where you would use the word “bombable”?

linkman8

True and Noble
I use that word all the time when talking about walls or rocks or whatever can be bombed in Zelda games. Like "Oh yeah, put a bomb right there, that wall is bombable." Is it an actual word in the English language? I don't think so, but who cares; we have our own nomenclature.

Din Akera

Sniper
*Looks in her giant dictionary* Oxford says 'no'
But I agree with Linkman8. As the Zelda people, we have our own dictionary. All the names of items, places, and assorted verbs, adjectives, and adverbs are our own, and we have deemed to be worth of a place in the dictionary.

My best example is from my current fan-fic. "unbanishable" yeah, definitely not a word. But all the zelda people know exactly what I am talking about! lol. So I use it and it works!

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
If you Google "bombable" this thread comes up within the first ten results. That's hilarious.

Wiktionary actually had a couple examples in other literature. It seems most often used in reference to wars, like "bombable targets." On the other hand, firefox spell check keeps underlining it, so it's apparently not very common.

Most of the other examples that came up in my search were video game examples, though. Lots of them Zelda references, in fact.

Bombable probably isn't accepted by most people but **** them. I've made up many words such as pwnage, douchey and douchiness:) lol

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I'm pretty sure I used this word the most in the water temple in OoT, it had a lot of those cracked walls and some of those cracks would even give you a glimps into the next room, I thought that was really cool at the time. Outside of Zelda... I don't think I've ever said it. which is awesome in it's own way. I'll have to make an effort to say this word more often. Bombable!

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I think bombable is an acceptable word. It is not listed in any dictionary or anything, but it is found on wictionary,
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bombable

"Suitable for bombing; That can be bombed"

The problem is that while in Zelda certain things can be bombed and certain things cannot, but in our world we live in, everything can be bombed and there is not set proportion as to the blast power of a bomb. Since you can have a small home-brew bomb or a nuclear bomb, almost anything is 'bombable'.

In Zelda, bombs are of fixed power. So some things can be bombed and some things bombs will have no effect at all. Thus, when there is a standard power value given to a strength of a bomb, like in Zelda, then bombable is acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom