• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Is a Zelda Game Good if It Doesn't Feature Link?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
pretty simple premise there. I want to know, is a Zelda game worthy of the brand "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA" if it doesn't have Link in any capacity? Why/why not?

Big Octo

=^)
I'm more than certain that a Zelda game could work without Link. The main gameplay mechanics could be there, as well as the same world built from previous games, so it definitely deserves to bear the title.

Now, would I like to see this happening? Well, yes actually, I think that would be a grand idea. Don't get me wrong, I think Link is still a great character, but sometimes I grow tired of his blank stares and lack of dialog and emotion. I never felt a connection between him and me, even if I'm supposed to "fill in the blanks with my emotion." I doesn't work for me, and frankly, the lack of emotion just feels awkward to me.

If this position is filled with a one-time-only character with their own personality and motives, I'd be more than happy. Having a protagonist with their own dialog and charcter really sits well with me, and is something I wish the series had more of. If Nintendo could at least try this for one game and one game only, I would be quite pleased.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Ironically, I've always seen the presence of Link to be a large part of what makes it a Zelda game. Without him... I don't know, it just doesn't feel like Zelda. Might this work for a spin-off that still takes place in Hyrule? You bet your best bananas it would. But to me, you can't call it a Zelda game without Link. It's like Metroid without Samus. Giving Link the boot after 27 good years feels wrong on so many levels to me.

Would I like to see this happen? Well, like I said, not as a 'Zelda' title but a spin-off might be okay. If this were ever to occur, I won't lie, I'd probably flip out and it's unlikely I'd be the only one.

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
Personally, I'm not sure that I would enjoy the prospect of a Zelda game without Link. It doesn't feel right. Would I play it? Probably not. I don't really like change, and I definitely wouldn't like having a different protagonist. As said in a different comment, posted by Mangachick14, Link's been in every Zelda game for the last 27 years, I don't see the point in getting rid of him now when, obviously, having Link has been very successful. So in answer to your question; no, I don't think it would be worthy of being called The Legend of Zelda if it didn't have Link in it.:wallpush: Link FTW

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it'd work, rather well actually. Link isn't really a good character anyway, it's not like he's the glue that holds it all together. I like him but he's just a silent protagonist without much of anything, I think people are just fond of him and he's pretty synonymous with Zelda by now.

I'd like to see Link replaced with Geralt from Witcher. He'd sort it all out so much better, sorry Linky but you can't take on Geralt, and he'd take care of Princess Zelda alright. ;) He'd look after her good.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It would not work. Link is an iconic part of the franchise and a staple of each game. Removing him would be a big step away from the other games. Any game ditching Lin would need a new title to distinguish it from the main series. It needs to be identified as a separate series.

The Legend of Link for a game featuring Zelda as the protagonist. . lol.

Well, a good game will be good regardless.

Talking about the Legend of Zelda brand specifically, as long as who the main protagonist is makes sense then it's fine. Sure, Link's a series staple, but the fact of the matter is the game developers make their own rules. If they want to change it up, and it works, then there're no problems.

RichardBlaziken

Mr. Blaziken
I don't think it would tear the series apart, no. Fanboys would obviously rage, but there are good reasons for change. Don't get me wrong, I love Link as much as the next guy, but having a protagonist that's different doesn't do anything to Link, it just gives us something fresh. Personality can do a lot for a protagonist. Link is an upstanding, heroic, courageous guy, but what if we had a protagonist that was out for revenge for something the antagonist did to him, with no princess-rescuing duties to make you feel better about killing him? What if we had a protagonist that got forced into the hero role without much choice and began questioning which side was right and wrong (would obviously require a more in-depth plot than BAD GUY IS BAD, KILL PLZ)? What if we actually got the chance to do a second quest as a different character after we had played as Link, and it had different objectives, plots and stories? Don't shoot an idea down just because of tradition. If they wanted to do away with Link completely and permanently, I'd be upset. But for one game or side-game(s)? I'm game.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The fact is that Link is all we know, even though there have been variants, essentially, he's still the same Link, that young hero dressed in green.

I can see that Nintendo have tried to differ between Links somewhat, more story focused games have lead to Link's character being more apparent, so I guess we could see that the modern Links have been unique to one another, of course to an extent. However, the idea of having "no" Link is an idea that I've been considering, it could work, it will turn heads, but it could mix things up.

No matter what, we will always see Link as that's made guy, he may be in another split in time separated by a hypothetical universe and by thousands of years, but still we can relate him to that same hero. Now take Link out and you have one of the most iconic figures in gaming out of his origin game -- seems like a bad idea on paper, but I have away which it could work.

One example that I think fits what I'm thinking is Assassins Creed. Here we have multiple iconic figures, arguably two, as the others aren't established by general consensus. However, still you have more than one iconic figure but they're descendents to each other, so they are still connected in that sense, but are two different characters altogether, this could work in a Zelda game in my opinion.

Of course this is heavily controversial, the majority certainly won't like this idea, just look at how the Sonic community raged due to a change in eye colour, I feel it's too big of a change to Nintendo to consider. If we're talking it's effect on the game though, then it doesn't necessarily mean bad, it might be for consistency's sake but a "new" character could bring something unique and diverse. One thing that's more vital is the actual effectiveness of that character, if it's not then what's the point? This also applies to Link as well, so summing up, I feel the definitive factor is not if it's Link, it's his actual character and the effectiveness of it.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Zelda is very different from assasin's creed. AC is heavy on the story. Zelda ain't. AC is newer series. Zelda is steeped in 26.5 years of lore. Link is many people, but always he is called Link. There's no way to alter the protagonist from an incarnation of Link to something else without major repercussions. Now the more generic AC might get away with this, but Zelda could not.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
honestly i don't really care,maybe i'll be on it for a few weeks or so but if the game is good,i'll probably get it
it sure as hell is a better idea than to keep inventing a bunch of useless links [i wanted skyward to be the last of it,then ****ing link b/w worlds shows up to say that it ISN'T game boy link]

Eh... could it work? Maybe. The problem is that Link has become a, if not the, major figure of the series. The fanbase would likely go into an uproar too. It would be interesting... perhaps to take on journey with one of Link's close descendants (son, nephew, etc) and have him as a side character. I feel like this kind of concept would work more for a spin off rather than an actual "Zelda" title, which doesn't mean it would automatically be bad... just unlikely at this point.

Zelda without Link is kind of like a cat without fur. Not the image of what we typically see and to a lot of people, strange. Now more variation on Link both physically and character motives/personality would be very welcome by me. Modern brunette and brown eyed Link, anybody? And perhaps a slight new spin on his clothing. Personality, could be anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom