• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Iron Knuckle Origins

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
What IS an Iron Knuckle? Where do they come from? I was reading online and one site said that they were knights appointed by the King (and we can assume that King is Ganondorf, based on the Iron Knuckles hostility). So are they Hylian soldiers who have been manipulated by Ganon and turned evil? Or are they Gerudo females who have been turned into horrible monsters? Whatever they may be, it is highly unlikely that they are male Gerudo since only 1 can exist at a time, and that is Ganondorf.

So what do you think the backstory is behind the Iron Knuckles?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Uh... I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think this should go in the theory section without evidence... It's more of just a question.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Uh... I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think this should go in the theory section without evidence... It's more of just a question.

How should it not be in the theory section? This is a topic for people to discuss their theories regarding the Iron Knuckles origins. I'm sure this is up to the staff to decide, and it's cool if they move it, but you're not staff, are you?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
No. I'm sorry if I put you off a bit, but my point is, that this is really more of a "We all talk about possible theories" instead of "Here's a theory, let's talk about it", which is what the theory section is about.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
No. I'm sorry if I put you off a bit, but my point is, that this is really more of a "We all talk about possible theories" instead of "Here's a theory, let's talk about it", which is what the theory section is about.

I and plenty of others have made general posts like this in the theory section. I get what you're saying, but I really don't think this up to you to judge.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I believe that too, and I have no problem with it being here, but I just want to note that it's in a spot that doesn't fit as well as another. Staff will decide though, and it's really no biggie if it's moved, or if it stays.

Ninja

Well well well
Reading through many articles, Iron Knuckles are referred to as "large, heavily armored knights". Knights of which kingdom is unsaid, but the idea that they are corrupted knights is definitely plausible, but there is one piece of theory that may bebunk that.

Take a look at Nabooru from Ocarina of Time. She was captured by Koume and Kotake, and brainwashed enough to where she turns against Link before he defeats her. In Zelda II AoL, they are referred to as "iron warriors, chosen by the King of Hyrule".

However, there is one piece of interesting trivia in regards to the Iron Knuckles. In Ocarina of Time, if Link positions himself very carefully, the camera will clip into the insides of the helmet. And what do you know, every Iron Knuckle has a female Gerudo inside. Here is a picture below, taken from a Zelda Informer post.

Just like Nabooru, they have a blank, wide eyed stare that is completely emotionless. It seems very possible that they are indeed female Gerudo taken hostage by Koume and Kotake to add to Ganondorf's army. Perhaps Iron Knuckles are dedicated supporters of Ganondorf and were able to take the form via magic. If you take a look at this picture below, you can see a feminine physique underneath the armor that strongly resembles a Gerudo.

Now, this could all be Nintendo's way of using the same character model for all Iron Knuckles. But it's an interesting thought.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What IS an Iron Knuckle? Where do they come from? I was reading online and one site said that they were knights appointed by the King (and we can assume that King is Ganondorf, based on the Iron Knuckles hostility). So are they Hylian soldiers who have been manipulated by Ganon and turned evil? Or are they Gerudo females who have been turned into horrible monsters? Whatever they may be, it is highly unlikely that they are male Gerudo since only 1 can exist at a time, and that is Ganondorf.

So what do you think the backstory is behind the Iron Knuckles?

The character models do show Gerudo forms inside though these were removed in the 3DS versions of the game.

Due to the Gerudo pattern on their cloth I am still inclined to think they are Gerudo in origin and possibly those that have been brainwashed by Twinrova just as Nabooru was. I would imagine the older ones would appear mummified inside similar to a ReDead knight due to the heat and the fact their bodies have technically died over time. This could be why the regular kind can't be saved as Nabooru was.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It is worth remembering that Ocarina of Time is chronologically one of the earlier games in the series. I think that at the time, Ganondorf probably would have recruited the first Iron Knuckles from among his Gerudo followers, who would have mostly been female. But it's quite possible that in later times, after he was no longer a Gerudo king so much as a source of evil incarnate... that he could have just made any of his corrupted and brainwashed humanoid followers into an Iron Knuckle, whether they were Hylian, Gerudo, or something else. Especially if his magic was as powerful as the legends say.

We know for sure that he was able to corrupt regular soldiers in A Link to the Past, so it's plausible that this could have resulted in Iron Knuckles of non-Gerudo origin alongside the original ones. He just keeps adding to his army from all over, especially as the dark world twists people into monstrous forms and makes them more susceptible to his influence.

Pen

The game is on!
This thread works in the Theory section. @YIGAhim if you see threads or posts in the future that you think should be moved elsewhere, feel free to just report it to the staff instead of going off topic within the thread. ;)

As for the Iron Knuckle origins I think they definitely serve Ganondorf based on the fact that in OoT we only see them in the Gerudo area and in Ganon's Castle.

Just like Nabooru, they have a blank, wide eyed stare that is completely emotionless. It seems very possible that they are indeed female Gerudo taken hostage by Koume and Kotake to add to Ganondorf's army.

I also think that some of the Iron Knuckles are likely to be possessed Gerudo females. However, as has been pointed out, the eyes one can see there are likely just there for the cut scene with Naboru. So I think it makes sense to assume that not all Iron Knuckles are Gerudo. We know the Gerudo take prisoners, so some of the Iron Knuckles we fight are likely brainwashed Hylians. It makes sense with the harsh way Ganondorf rules.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Actually the Iron Knuckles being Gerudo kinda explains where they all went after OOT, we don't see very many of them after it, bar those who were sided originally with ganondorf. I think it's safe to say all the Iron Knuckles are defectors from Ganondorf's cause, and were more than likely first created by Twinrova and then later Ganondorf, i won't say this is inherent only to Ganondorf as in Majora's Mask we see Iron Knuckles but that could be because of Ikana learning how to do it.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Actually the Iron Knuckles being Gerudo kinda explains where they all went after OOT, we don't see very many of them after it, bar those who were sided originally with ganondorf. I think it's safe to say all the Iron Knuckles are defectors from Ganondorf's cause, and were more than likely first created by Twinrova and then later Ganondorf, i won't say this is inherent only to Ganondorf as in Majora's Mask we see Iron Knuckles but that could be because of Ikana learning how to do it.

If we take the MM being a dream theory into consideration, then that would explain the Iron Knuckles in Ikana. I personally don't believe in this theory, but that could be one explanation as to why they are there if MM really was Link or Skull Kid's dream.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Where do Dark Nuts Fit into this? To answer this quest we first need to decide, Are Iron Knuckles and Dark Nuts just different names for the same enemy?

I often thought of Iron Knuckles to be just a tougher form of Dark Nut, but I don't know why I thought this because they have never been in the same game.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
the first bunch were Gerudos and then as Ganon got more ghostlier, they were armoured brainwashed soldiers maybe??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom