• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Introducing Fog into Dungeons

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Something I love about some variants of the game "laser tag" is that there is obligatory fog in the rooms. This makes things much more uncertain - like fog of war - and basically forces you to rely on instincts whenever possible. It also, just like fog does, makes things harder to see. :P

But, the point here is that I'd love for fog to be part of dungeons. Could you imagine if you were in an enclosed arena and fog basically covered everywhere bar where Link was at, and you didn't know what enemies wer going to pop around the corner? This would make me absolutely livid...in a good way! :D

So what's your opinion. Would you like to see fog in a few future dungeons, or is it best left out?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
If it fits, sure. A creepy temple like OoT's Forest Temple would suit some fog I think, is a bit mysterious and limiting how far you can see and stuff. But not just slap fog randomly everywhere, however hilarious that'd be.

Big Octo

=^)
Silent Hill: Zelda Edition

I don't see why not. Fog adds a sense of paranoia, and to some, fear. Not knowing what lurks in the thick fig is sure to send shivers down the spine of some, especially if the enemies lurking around look terrifying and are a great threat to the player.

I could see the fog working well in horror-themed dungeons, as it compliments the atmosphere perfectly. Walking around a dark dungeon with chilling music, surrounded in a dense fog, all with having dangerous enemies stalking the player. Make it happen.

Salem

SICK
It would be cool until we get that dungeon item that lets us see though the fog....

I wouldn't want to see something like the fog of war. Real time strategy impediments don't translate well to the action-adventure front. It could result in several accidental deaths.

If fog is implemented, there should be an item for seeing in such condition, resembling the Lens of Truth from Ocarina of Time. Running with the horror theme Big Octo mentioned, this vision ward would be a necessity with numerous pits and a creature that dwells in the fog preying on those who can't see.

Starblast16

Hylian Swordsmaster
I think I'd like to see fog in dungeons. It would certainly make things interesting but I only think that the fog should either be in certain parts of the dungeon or in specific dungeons because it would make it harder to get around especially if you have to find a thing to latch your clawshot or hookshot into and the fog is too thick to see much.

It does sound like an interesting concept, so I'd like to see it in a dungeon/overworld area or two. This would probably be best suited to a few little tweaks in the formula, like an emphasis on listening to an enemy's movements or enemies that require fog to survive and give away their positions by swirling the fog around. Perhaps on harder difficulty levels (should they exist, which they should), fog could appear in more areas, forcing you to rely on your instincts even more.

What I don't want to see is some stupid "Ha ha, you fell through the hole you couldn't see!" scenario or anything that unfairly takes advantage of the game mechanics to give you a conniption. Think the invisible coin blocks from the bad Super Mario Bros. ROM hacks, where you try jumping a small pit, hit an inconveniently placed invisible block, and plummet to your death. Those are unnecessarily frustrating, so let's not have that in Zelda. Otherwise, I welcome the fog and the (positive) potential it brings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom