• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Intricacy or Difficulty?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Far and wide intricacy wins out. I don't normally like playing games that are frustratingly hard, where you just have to bash your head against a brick wall until you get a lucky break. I like using intricacy itself to make up the challenge. Rather than just mash A a lot until you hopefully win, you must keep track of all the rules of the game while fighting. You can find something that you didn't notice before. (E.g. when I was fighting Phantom Ganon some months ago I found out that if you didn't target lock on him, he'll spin and charge at you instead of volleying lightning balls at you; this was very interesting, and I was able to use this new knowledge to combat him in a different way. I also found out that in MM you can beat Twinmold in several different ways, my personal favorite that I found out was to roll around in the Goron Mask and to try and race them around the desert; very fun indeed.) It's this idea that you are free to approach the enemy any which way you want and to find ways to make the game easier or more difficult according to your own whims.

Sometimes, though... I want it to be hard as balls. Sometimes I want to be pushed into a tight corner and be forced to come up with a new way of attacking on the fly for fear of meeting a swift and brutal end. Especially with the final fight. Everything else I want to be able to exploit certain intricacies to my advantage, but the final fight needs to be that: the final, brutal fight that'll leave you gasping for air at the end. That's why I like Demise so much, he was the one to finally push me into that corner like no other Zelda boss has (ironic, considering you're fighting in a totally open field). All the gear I had picked up, all the different strategies I had picked up were of no use against him; I had to think on my feet and use all the skills at my disposal just to make it out of there alive. I honestly wish more end fights did this.

So... I want a difficulty setting; a normal setting for my normal, leisurely playthroughs, and the balls-to-the-wall hard setting for when I'm feeling masochistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom