• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Internet Speedtest

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
3955712280.png

I don't know if this is good or bad to be honest.

It... it looks so fast.

Rest in pieces.

Kybyrian

Wait, there are people who don't live where I do that think their internet is slow?

ha ha ha

My parents pay $30/mo for 480 kbps, so I guess this is over right now. Over 50% of the time I'd say we're lucky to get 100 kbps, though. Just happens to be a good hour.

I'll take a speedtest again in another couple weeks when I'm back at school and you can all cry over my speed then (except Jimmy, though my upload is faster).

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Wait, there are people who don't live where I do that think their internet is slow?

ha ha ha

My parents pay $30/mo for 480 kbps, so I guess this is over right now. Over 50% of the time I'd say we're lucky to get 100 kbps, though. Just happens to be a good hour.

I'll take a speedtest again in another couple weeks when I'm back at school and you can all cry over my speed then (except Jimmy, though my upload is faster).
What the hell?? My sister pays like 19 a month and her internet is much faster. Can't your parents switch providers?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
What the hell?? My sister pays like 19 a month and her internet is much faster. Can't your parents switch providers?
In the US, there usually is only one provider in any given area. If there are two, one always vastly outclasses the other, making it essentially one choice as well. This is how they get away with such terrible speeds and awful service. Because they can get away with anything because they have no competition. To switch to a decent provider you have to move to another area.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
In the US, there usually is only one provider in any given area. If there are two, one always vastly outclasses the other, making it essentially one choice as well. This is how they get away with such terrible speeds and awful service. Because they can get away with anything because they have no competition. To switch to a decent provider you have to move to another area.
For while we used to have the same but now we don't have to move to switch providers. UPC and Ziggo I believe are the only providers I can't get in my area. But I love we can switch.

Kybyrian

Seriously? That's ridiculous. There are lots of providers to choose from here and that's what creates the competition and better prices for the consumers. Are you in a very rural area?

Yeah, I'm in an extremely rural area. However, the fact of one ISP to choose from is true basically everywhere near here. I know in the city about 30 or so minutes away, Time Warner Cable is the only provider to really choose from. You're not going to get the quality they give you at the same price from anyone else who provides to the area. Not that I know anyone else who provides there.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tested out my University's wifi today which is available all over campus for free for students. Much better than most people's Ethernet speeds, I can't wait to see how fast it can get when I plug my computer into an Ethernet port here.
4DF9E3BE-C4DA-4F48-98BF-210D96AF9093.png_zpsenh8pez9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom