• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Internet Speedtest

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
There was a thread on this last year, but it didn't have a good explanation in the OP and it kind of died and many people hosted their results on temp image hosting instead of using the result images directly. I figured I might as well restart it fresh. If you posted in the old thread last year, take a look, if your results are still even there, and compare them to a fresh test you do now.

I thought here we can share the results that we got on Speedtest.net. This site tests the speed of your internet connection and gives you the results that it saves indefinitely and you can share them. In most cases, your speed is going to be a bit less than what your ISP tells you you're paying for, but sometimes it's more.

To do an accurate test, restart your browser with only one tab, the speed test. Or if you don't want to lose your tabs, you can take a shortcut and close the browser and load Firefox or Chrome, whichever one is not the main one you use. Also, close anything on your computer that using up bandwidth or that could lag your PC, and make sure your antivirus isn't running in the background. Then run the test. You can try it a couple times to see if you get anything better. PCs tend to get clogged up with things that slow down your results, but the results you get are very relevant to any other devices you have, which are not slowed down by junk like PCs are, most notably any video streaming you might do on any devices. Or with how many devices can be connected at once with good speeds in places with multiple people. So it's important to clear up anything that might slow down your test so you can get an accurate answer.

Once you have a result, and you are satisfied it is accurate, click the share button and save direct URL and the image URL to something like a notepad document or your browser's favorites. Then share the image here.

I have had three results that I have had.

This one was the first test I have taken at my place, this was when I was paying for a 30 Mb/s internet download speed, my ISP's baseline service.
3162264777.png

I was somewhat pleased I was getting a faster speed than they told me I'd get.

I was having issues for a long time, I got so frustrated that I replaced my leased ISP modem with my very own. And my ISP also upgraded its baseline service to "Up to 60 Mb/s". Note the "up to" part. I took another test.
3672505988.png

Just recently I have taken another test since it's been a few months since my ISP upgraded their baseline service and I wondered what I got now, and it's slightly improved.
3860207351.png

The small increase I got is more than some people's entire internet speed. But my upload speed isn't making much improvement.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
So, I have incredibly ****ty internet. But it serves my purposes. The biggest issue is that I have to wait a few minutes for Youtube videos to buffer when I want to watch them in HD.

I'm paying my ISP for 1.5 MB/s download and 0.5 MB/s upload.

Here are my results.

3861832013.png

Grade F rating is not surprising as I have one of the worst ISPs in the country, speed-wise and price-wise.

But at least they're not really cheating me out of what they claim to offer. Download speed could be a tad higher, but I'll take it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Had to do it via app, so here's my results:

Download = 2.31 Mbps
Upload = 0.46 Mbps
Ping = 68 ms

Seriously, Sky Broadband, what the hell is this?

Jedizora

:right:
3861873098.png

Time Warner Cable is the only thing available where I live, and it is a crime against humanity.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
So, funny enough I just got a call from my ISP saying that they have raised my package's speed from 1.5 MB/s to 3.0 MB/s.

I did the speed test again and here are the new results:

3869356404.png

Hopefully it'll eventually get up to 3.0, but regardless I'm really happy about this doubling. I just checked and there's no longer any wait time while HD videos buffer.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
3947309508.png

It's taking the same amount of time to upload an 8 minute video today as it took to upload a 50 minute one yesterday. Good ****ing god, Comcast. Stop being crap. At least be consistent. I think I deserve that for putting up with Customer Service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom