• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Instead of Giving Hints to Puzzles, the Puzzle Should Have Been Removed or Replaced

Salem

SICK
There are puzzles in Zelda games, doesn't matter if they're in the overworld or dungeons, for whatever reason, the hints to these puzzles seem too obvious or the Sheikah stone thingie in OoT3D and SS just make it even easier.

Are those hints there because Nintendo doesn't trust the average player to be able to figure out the solution themselves?

My suggestion is that if they think a particular puzzles needs more obvious hints to be solved by players, then that puzzle should not even be in the game, instead it should be replaced by more action segments or something.

What do you guys think?

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I was a little annoyed that they added those two sheikah stones, but like JuiceJ said, they're totally optional. You don't HAVE to use them.

What they do need to stop doing is marking everything so clearly on maps and pushing you along to do things. They had been doing that since TP, and they added it in OoT 3D.

Salem

SICK
Then what's the point? The franchise won't be abandoning puzzles anytime soon.
My point was the fact that sheikah stones exist, that's a sign that Nintendo does not even think too highly of their audience. If they designed a puzzle and think it needs a really obvious hint, I'm suggesting that maybe that puzzle should not even be in the game.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
My point was the fact that sheikah stones exist, that's a sign that Nintendo does not even think too highly of their audience. If they designed a puzzle and think it needs a really obvious hint, I'm suggesting that maybe that puzzle should not even be in the game.
Or they don't want people to be stuck no matter how small the problem.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me

It's a last resort if you're unable to figure it out yourself.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I like that the hints are there if the player wants them, but can be ignored if they want to figure it out for themselves.

However, instead of being straightforward about it I'd think it be awesome if they wove in some lore within the hints. Like, one of my favorite hints in Zelda games is in SS's Fire Sanctuary. In the first room Guld tells you a tale passed down from treasure hunters about seeking the face that's asleep to gain access to the King's treasure. Much later on you run across that cliff where you must choose which side to jump down. Now, you could choose at random if you feel like it or forgot the earlier hint (like I did first time around) but if you paid attention you'd notice that the story was referring to the face on the left. Then, jump to that face with a leap of faith and make your way to the King's Key. Totally awesome, I wish more stuff like that happened.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Or they don't want people to be stuck no matter how small the problem.

See that's the main issue. I don't think Nintendo should be dumbing down their games. I was a very young, kinda stupid kid when I played Ocarina of Time for the N64.

Nintendo games like that helped build both my dexterity and my puzzle-solving skills. I didn't just toss my hands up in the air and go look up a walkthrough. Cuz I couldn't. I was 6. Computers weren't exactly...up to par yet.

Also, that brings up another point: if someone wants to know how to get through a particular part and they're stuck or whatever...why not just look it up online? There are like...20 walkthroughs for Zelda online. Just use one of those! I absolutely HATE the sheikah stones, optional or not. It feels like a huge slap in the face to the intelligent gaming design that is OoT. Yeah, sure, Navi was still there yelling at you to go to wherever, but she didn't show you the exact way to push that one block so the door would open! That was the challenge to the player, and it built onto itself.

Another issue that will occur is reliance. Sure, they ARE optional, but for those who are playing for the first time and get stuck in, say, the first dungeon (which can happen, mind you). What are they gonna do? Use the Sheikah stone. They get stuck in Dodongo's Cavern. Sheikah stone. Water temple. Sheikah stone like 30 times. The player is not challenged in any way, they just go over to the free walkthrough device and find out all the answers and tricks to the game. It ruins the experience for those who haven't already experienced it yet.

Nintendo is starting to hand hold a bit too much with certain games. Not all mind you, but I have noticed in games like OoT 3D, Yoshi's New Island, and Paper Mario: Sticker Star, that they are really trying to dumb down their games for a broader audience. I just hope they cut it out, because its gonna be the death of a lot fo their franchises.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
What difference does it make if you look it up online or use a sheikah stone? I don't mind them leaving hints I can ignore so long as they don't dumb down the entire game.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Like everyone else has already pointed out, the stones are completely optional. You can go the entire game without consulting them. And we shouldn't assume that just because we ourselves can understand and solve the puzzles without help that everyone else can too. I know I guy who says his brother (his brother was in his late teens btw, not a little kid) doesn't like playing Zelda because he finds the puzzles, above all else, too hard. Some people just aren't good with puzzles. Nintendo obviously recognized this, and since they often try to appeal to as many people as possible, they decided to lend help to those who might need it so they don't get discouraged when they reach a puzzle they can't crack.

To me, it's like including an easy difficulty setting for the puzzles. Do you get offended every time a game includes an easy setting? The developers are just trying to accommodate for all skill levels. Personally, I see nothing wrong with providing optional help for anyone who needs it.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Are those hints there because Nintendo doesn't trust the average player to be able to figure out the solution themselves?
The exact opposite.

The fact that the hints are optional is exactly the point. If Nintendo really did not trust the average player to solve them, then they WOULD take out the puzzles. They would change them, make them more easy, or make the hints required to complete the game. They're optional because most people -- or at the very least, MANY people -- WILL be able to figure out things on their own.

Nintendo should not dumb down games to meet with the people who have trouble with said games. I think this Sheikah Stone system works out pretty well. There's help there available for those who need it, but most people will be just fine going through the game on their own. It makes it more accessible. There ARE walkthroughs online, but many players might not even be aware of those, much less have the motivation to actually bother looking them up. Putting it in the game just makes it simpler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom