• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Insider Info. or Pleasantly Surprised?

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
All this new info. on ST is awesome, it just is. It's great to have information about a game for many reasons, some being either to learn more about the game to sway one's decision to buy it or not, or simply to learn as much as one can about it before it even comes out.

This thread basically asks of your opinion, do you prefer to read all there is to read about a game before it comes, or are you like me, who prefers to read as little as possbile about the game?

The reason I prefer not to read all about a new game, in this case ST, is because I like being surprised. Not knowing what's going to happen as soon as I start playing also makes me feel like I'm starting a new adventure completely, no hints, no peeks, just fresh new adventure.

What do you prefer, and why?

I would prefer to stay unspoiled of the adventure. Finding everything on your own and discovering new locations you've never seen or heard of before is a great feeling. I did it with TP (Sounds impossible, but I did manage to avoid the hype and spoils surrounding it!), and I feel the game was much better because of it.

ST for some reason is a different story for me. While I would love to stay unspoiled of ST, ever since watching the trailer that was released about a week ago, I haven't been able to avoid spoilers. I really want to try hard to avoid the spoilers, but I'm finding it extremely difficult. =(

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I would rather stay unspoiled as well, but I consider anything Nintendo reveals themselves to be up for grabs and not really a spoiler as such. If the company itself thinks it's okay to know certain info, I personally think it's okay.

As for leaked info and the like, I don't care for it. I consider that spoilers and don't care to know about them.

Once the game is out, then I still don't want to know about in-game content that the company didn't reveal prior to the game's release. So, while the knowledge of a game in it's entirety is now available, I still don't want to know anything beyond the original revealed items. That is until I reach that point myself.

This last example is harder to do because I know there are people out there who like to blast through a game in less than 24 hours of it's release and then reveal all there is to know about it to the world. I think they think this makes them some kind of Internet hero or something. Frankly, I would rather play my game over a period of time and enjoy it than waste it... but that's just me.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Hah, Basement and Adam practically just said what I was thinking. xD

It really depends on your own definition of what exactly spoilers are... I with basement24 on this one- stuff officially from Nintendo is fair game to me. But things like the first 90 minute descriptions are pushing it... but like Adam I can't seem to keep myself away from them :eek: However, I believe you neeeed the element of surprise in order to fully enjoy any experience- Zelda included. It takes most of the emotional attachment awway for me if I know what's going to happen... and so you don't feel as involved, or as compelled to see what happens next.

But maaaan I hate, hate, hate those people who speed through and then go post it all over the internet. Lol, and since I'm in europe, I can see I'm not going to be able to go on the internet for a week, otherwise I run the risk of inadvertedly spoiling it for myself :(
So I guess it's all things in moderation... since this bottling-up of information Nintendo's done this time around has made me probably more excited that I have been for any other Zelda game (that I knew about before release/am old enough to remember). But so far, I'm okay with this rush of info :3

I don't mind reading about what a game is about at all. I try to as much as I can. Because reading it now, doesn't make me love the game and every surprise it has for me even less. If anything, it makes me want to play the game even more.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Well, I tend to want to read as little as I can. I mean I'll look at a few pictures and stuff like that to figure out what the gist of the game is about, but for the other important stuff like certain events that occur and items that you get, I'd rather wait until I played the game to figure it all out.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I don't mind reading about what a game is about at all. I try to as much as I can. Because reading it now, doesn't make me love the game and every surprise it has for me even less. If anything, it makes me want to play the game even more.
This.
With ST and Zelda Wii, if I hadn't looked at anything about the games I'd be all "ho hum. I might not get them.", but after seeing things, it gets me excited. Now, that said, I don't know that much about ST, and no one really knows anything about Zelda Wii.
I don't like not knowing what's ahead. Although it'll be hard to tell of the outcome at this early stage, if I try to avoid any major spoilers for Zelda Wii, perhaps it will feel better when I actually play the game. But there's still going to be things that I will look up regardless. It'll bother me too much otherwise.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I prefer to be surprised. I almost threw my keyboard out the window the other day when I was reading that recent IGN article on ST, and in the first couple of sentences, there was a huge spoiler. I figured the article was just going to be about the gameplay and stuff, but NO! There had to be that huge spoiler. I'm still pretty darn miffed.

For now, I'm trying to stay away from ST sections and anything that might reveal more about the game.

I'm kind of caught in between on the issue.

I personally like the game to be a surprise. I don't want the story or other surprises spoiled for me. I like to experience things fresh. I do however like knowing about the game before I play it.

I tend to like to find out as much as I can... to a point. I have no quarrels with knowing about the events in a game's introduction... or even a few hours in. But when you start to get through a few dungeons and reach the midway point where the plot really starts to pick up... that's when I would prefer not to know and just find out for myself.

So I don't really mind all this information about Spirit Tracks, because this is all early-game stuff. We won't start getting major spoilers until the game actually comes out. But another factor is that I won't be able to get a DS for a little while, so it's gonna be a while before I can play it. :sweat:

Alas, I had pretty much all of Twilight Princess spoiled before I actually played it. It was primarily because I was trying to work out fangame ideas and needed to do research on the game because I hadn't played it. I knew basically the entire story, with the exception of a few details, and most of the characters, items and enemies. The only thing that was really very fresh to me were the dungeons and puzzles. It definitely diminished the game for me, and made it not as enjoyable as it could have been, so I don't really intend to do that again. -.-

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Zeruda, while I was reading your post, I was like "OH NO! I'm gonna read a spoiler and it will be too late!" hahha. I'm glad you didn't re-post it. :P

I prefer to know next to nothing when a new Zelda is going to be released, As with Spirit Tracks, I've managed to avoid watching the spoilerific trailer but a few images i've seen have kind of gave the impression of a mini spoiler.

Because i don't really keep up with games anyways until they're near release i generally avoid main details. (such as the new Zelda Wii game, although that image has been out for months I've only seen it last week. I prefer to be surprised about every twist in the plot, not like "oh, this was in the trailer" or "oh, that guy said that". I knew of Spirit tracks since the conference when it was revealed, but only knew it was being released when i saw an advert on tv promoting the Pre-order edition (Which i've ordered :P)

So yeah, overall avoid anything to do with the game until i've played it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom