• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Ingo's Stupidity

Kylon

Deku scrub
we all know that ingo tries to trap link in lon lon ranch after you beat him twice and get epona. I always just sit there thinking ok now what is he gonna do taunt link. seriously i think ingo needs to go back to school.

Pen

The game is on!
Yeah he may not be very intelligent, but he's hard working alright!
I also think it's strange that he allows Link to ride on Epona at all, since that's his specially trained horse for Ganondorf...

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I'm thinking his plan was to hold Link there until Ganondorf himself arrived to pick up the horse. Once that happened, it would no longer be Ingo's problem.

I also think it's strange that he allows Link to ride on Epona at all, since that's his specially trained horse for Ganondorf...

Well, he just had Epona with the other horses. He never expected Link to be able to ride Epona since she was always so feisty with whoever tried. There's no point in keeping a horse separate if its not gonna let anyone ride anyway, just puts extra work on the owner.

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
maybe he put her there tp show her off cause all the other horses were just brown and she was prettier that them all.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think Ingo was stupid for letting himself be used by Ganondorf in the first place. Anything else he did pales in comparison to the foolishness of betraying a kind-but-lazy master for an unforgiving one who would kill you in a heartbeat.

Aside from that, I don't think his actions were terribly stupid... I mean, he might not have noticed which horse you had taken until after you won the race. And maybe he just enjoys races. As far as locking Link in the ranch, okay, that wasn't the smartest move... but remember, in the original (unreleased) version of that scene, Ingo also sets fire to the ranch, not giving Link much time to escape. Which isn't quite as stupid.

I honestly think it would have made more sense for Ingo to try and kill Link somehow, rather than just lock him up in an open field on a horse. Besides, how did he plan to get Epona out of there for Ganondorf? Why didn't he just demand that Link give up Epona? Why didn't he just offer rupees in exchange for the horse, or offer you another one, explaining that he already had a buyer for that horse? And then maybe lock you up in frustration once you refused, and you escape THEN. It would have made more sense if he had only planned to keep Link until he gave up Epona.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I think Ingo was stupid for letting himself be used by Ganondorf in the first place. Anything else he did pales in comparison to the foolishness of betraying a kind-but-lazy master for an unforgiving one who would kill you in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't call that stupid, it's stereotypical minion mentality. Side with the person with the most power and he will make you more powerful than you currently are. Ingo was given Talon's position only that he would every now and again have to answer to Ganondorf. Thus the G-man's rath would rarely come into play. We must also consider that Ingo wanted the ranch to be the best of the best but couldn't do that with Talon's mentality of "as long as everyone's happy, then so am I." Working for Ganondorf gives him a great opportunity to achieve that goal as Ganondorf has resources and power(in more ways then one).
Aside from that, I don't think his actions were terribly stupid... I mean, he might not have noticed which horse you had taken until after you won the race.
No, he challenges you to a race because he notices how well you ride with Epona. He knows its Ganondorf's horse, he's just overconfident in his skills.

I honestly think it would have made more sense for Ingo to try and kill Link somehow, rather than just lock him up in an open field on a horse. Besides, how did he plan to get Epona out of there for Ganondorf? Why didn't he just demand that Link give up Epona? Why didn't he just offer rupees in exchange for the horse, or offer you another one, explaining that he already had a buyer for that horse? And then maybe lock you up in frustration once you refused, and you escape THEN. It would have made more sense if he had only planned to keep Link until he gave up Epona.

To this I say that Ingo is supposed to be portrayed as misguided, not totally evil. He doesn't do these things because its simply not in him. But he's also not a nice reasonable Person. He was given power and is used to getting what he wants without having to explain it. Realizing he's not good but not totally bad either, it would stay more true to his character to have him gamble a horse that he shouldn't have and feel that he had to pay the consequences without actually having to pay the consequences. Taking it out strictly on Link with his own hands or negotiating with Link didn't cross his mind. Forcing Link to stay until Ganondorf came so he could deal with it was more his level.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom