• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Inevitable BotW2 backlash?

I am excited for the new "BOTW".. I think a dark theme is exciting.. Also reading through this thread I am seeing a lot of people complaining.. I personally think Nintendo will do just fine. I have faith in them they have been doing this for quite sometime now. (1986)

Well didn't they reuse a lot of assets from Ocarina for Majora? I think they will do something similar, adding things, moving things, changing and tweaking names and locations.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Also reading through this thread I am seeing a lot of people complaining.. I personally think Nintendo will do just fine. I have faith in them they have been doing this for quite sometime now.

Of course ninty will be just fine. People will buy this by the tens of millions and it will get 10/10 reviews because it has the letters Z - E - L - D and A on the box in that order.

But I do expect that BotW2 will be such a copy paste job that even reviewers can't ignore it. It'll underwhelm especially compared to its vastly overrated predecessor. The small superficial changes ninty makes here and there will be irrelevant compared to the same geography, shrines, towers, and reused assets and mechanics from before. I won't even be surprised if they reuse the divine beasts again.

Anyone else notice how soon after the last game this is getting announced? We've been accustomed to having to wait the better part of a decade for the next mainline console Zelda game. Ninty hasn't had the capacity to develop a modern AAA title in less than six years before. Now we're supposed to expect them to release a whole new game with the same size and scope as BotW - that took them six years to produce - in less than three? (Assuming a 2020 release date with no delays.)

Honestly the only really truly justifiable backlash will be if this feels like a glorified DLC pack.

I think the tomb of Ganon isn't Calamity Ganon or any other form of Ganondorf. I think it's the tomb of Demise. I also think that Ganon/Ganondorf/Demise isn't the main antagonist of BotW2, he's just a distraction of the real antagonist. It's the green hand of whatever dark force it's coming from that's the main Villian. If they use Ganon in a sequel after they just killed him, it wouldn't be too good of a game.
Wouldn't be the first time.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
If they use Ganon in a sequel after they just killed him, it wouldn't be too good of a game.

Technically, that would be most of his appearances. He shows up in the following games after having been killed in a prior game in the timeline (or prior in the timeline for other reasons):

1. Legend of Zelda
2. A Link to the Past
3. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
4. Four Swords Adventures
5. A Link Between Worlds
6. Breath of the Wild
7. Breath of the Wild 2: Electric Boogaloo

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Anyone else notice how soon after the last game this is getting announced? We've been accustomed to having to wait the better part of a decade for the next mainline console Zelda game. Ninty hasn't had the capacity to develop a modern AAA title in less than six years before. Now we're supposed to expect them to release a whole new game with the same size and scope as BotW - that took them six years to produce - in less than three? (Assuming a 2020 release date with no delays.)

To me that heavily implies they aren't trying anything new. Because from what I've seen the more gimmicks and foreign concepts a game has, the longer it'll take to make. I mean TP took...2-3 years? And one of those was just porting it to the Wii. So about 2 years. SS took 5. TP, whether you like the game or not, felt like it was overflowing with content between two collect-a-thons, upgrading to 5 heart pieces, and rupee chests stuffed up the wazoo in places they ran out of rewards for. Meanwhile it felt like they had to cut corners with SS, going back to 4 heart pieces, giving you three free hearts, turning two hearts into medals (that's 5 hearts * 4 heart pieces, meaning they basically subtracted 20 sidequests).

In my opinion, this clearly shows that the largest portion of time goes to figuring out foreign concepts, such as reworking the combat to feature motion controls or turning Zelda into an opinion world. If this is just more of BOTW, even if it is BOTW+, then it'd be much easier for them to create a new game.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Not disappointed at all. BotW had such an expansive world that's not gonna feel too familiar aside from landmark areas during a revisit. Assuming they've been working on this since 2018, there will be at least 3 years of development on the game by the time it releases next year, if it even releases next year. I can only imagine how much they'll have added and altered seeing as they didn't waste time building a whole new world from the ground up.

I also really hope they dig deep into the lore this time now that there is an official lore. This being a sequel too, they can really expand and improve on the formula of the last one since many people weren't too pleased with how some of the conventions were handled last time, so this is kind of like a second chance at setting the groundwork for future installments. Plus, it definitely beats waiting 10 years for another Zelda game.

I'm not super thrilled they're using the same exact place but something tells me there will be an alt world like dark/light world, past/present, etc. I wasn't a massive fan of botw anyways but I still really like the engine.

Technically, that would be most of his appearances. He shows up in the following games after having been killed in a prior game in the timeline (or prior in the timeline for other reasons):

1. Legend of Zelda
2. A Link to the Past
3. Oracle of Seasons/Ages
4. Four Swords Adventures
5. A Link Between Worlds
6. Breath of the Wild
7. Breath of the Wild 2: Electric Boogaloo
Finally, someone who knows what FIF is

Well didn't they reuse a lot of assets from Ocarina for Majora? I think they will do something similar, adding things, moving things, changing and tweaking names and locations.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Yes, but it was character models and such. And they used a modified version of Ocarina's engine. The world of Termina itself was new.

OP- If they use the same map and locations as BotW, sure it takes the fun of exploration away but if the game play is great, the story is good, and the world isn't empty, then it's a fine a trade off. It's also possible we are taking the comment too literally, and while it's the "same Hyrule" in story, the map could be different, we've seen that before as well.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
All I know is that I'm legitimately intrigued by the entire matter in terms of whether it financially succeeds by saving time and money. On paper, reusing an openworld sounds like it could reduce development time, and would save money. I think Saints Row 2 is the only game so far that has reused an openworld? People involved with developing that game came forward afterward and said reusing the overworld from the first Saints Row ended up costing about the same all across the board as developing a brand new openworld. That might have just been due to an oversight by that team, idk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom