• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Inevitable BotW2 backlash?

So, Aonuma has confirmed that we will be revisiting the same Hyrule in BotW2 as we saw in BotW.

A 3D game has never reused an overworld in Zelda. And it has only happened once before in the 2D games with ALttP and ALBW.

I've put 500 hours (I know, I know) into BotW and I'm sure others have put in more, and to have the same overworld given to us again for BotW2, I'm sure a few people are going to be rather angry despite the new gameplay mechanics Aonuma is giving us in order to explore it.

I'm sure there'll be new areas too, we saw at least one in the minute long trailer yesterday.

But will there be enough new?

Are you disappointed in the reuse of the same overworld?

Do you think there will be backlash?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I think one can't understate how much it's going to change. I even think it might be barely recognizable .
They have now so much more time to frill and fill the world with all kinds of new content that's gonna be very exciting. I think maybe the only remaining thing might be just the overall geography. I mean, there's already a major change in the stone pillars around the castle being taken down.

i didn't hear the exact quote so i'm not exactly sure how loosely i should interpret it, but calling it the "same hyrule" doesn't mean it has to be geographically identical necessarily. i mean, we saw the horizon shot during the trailer so it obviously is similar enough, but things can still change in short periods of time. especially if something cataclysmic happens such as the earth splitting open which if somethings happening beneath the castle, may happen? either way, if its the same setting, doesnt mean we wont see new stuff. introduce me some really strong underground segments and i wont care if the surface is mostly identical.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Very disapointed. BOTW had the worst overworld I have ever seen. Even with all this extra time, I have no faith that Nintendo can adequately fill it up. Really, I don't think anyone could, especially with how underpowered the Switch is, but Aonuma hardly has a good track record when it comes to 3D worlds, even smaller ones.

I can't understate how insurmountable this appears. Even filling a world half the size of BOTW's task would be a daunting task, even with a stronger system and all the time that could possibly be given.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Very disapointed. BOTW had the worst overworld I have ever seen. Even with all this extra time, I have no faith that Nintendo can adequately fill it up. Really, I don't think anyone could, especially with how underpowered the Switch is, but Aonuma hardly has a good track record when it comes to 3D worlds, even smaller ones.

I can't understate how insurmountable this appears. Even filling a world half the size of BOTW's task would be a daunting task, even with a stronger system and all the time that could possibly be given.

They just brought the Witcher 3 to switch. An even bigger overworld with far more content so the limited power of the switch is no excuse to not fill the world.

In answer to the thread. BoTW's overworld was relatively large yet devoid of meaningful content. So there is definitely loads of room to add that content in even if using the same basic overworld.

Personally I'd like the game to be like the Adult portion of Ocarina of Time as if BoTW was the child portion. It's the same overworld but things are most certainly changed. Things look different. New areas are accessible and it is of course noticeably under Ganons influence. If they can change Hyrule up on a large scale then they can pull it off.

Whether they will remains to be seen.

DarkestLink

They just brought the Witcher 3 to switch. An even bigger overworld with far more content so the limited power of the switch is no excuse to not fill the world.

Witcher 3's world is far from full...

DarkestLink

Yes, it's spacious,

Then it's empty. That's what empty means. If you put a cup's worth of water in a cup, you have a full cup. If you put a cup's worth of water in a gallon jug, you have an empty jug. The amount of content is irrelevant. The amount of content merely determines whether a game is big or small, not empty or full. It's the content to space ratio that determines whether something is empty or not. In the case of BOTW, there is so much space I don't have faith they can make the amount of content needed to fill it...and their last attempt at trying not only failed, but involved lazily copy/pasting the same content over and over in a desperate effort to pad things out. They didn't even come close.

I mean really, if they can't fill the world using the cheapest, quickest, and laziest methods of padding, what hope is there that they're going to fill it with meaningful content?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Witcher 3's world is far from full...

Its balanced. Any more stuff to do and it would have been excessive and unbelievable for the size of the world. I'd say Witcher 3 got it just right.

It's like if you have a big meal. You say I'm full. Yeah you could foie gras style feed yourself and physically get more in but there is a distinction between the just right level of fullness and then the saturation and excess. The W3 would have contained excessive content if they tried to put much more in the world. So yeah it's full.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Then it's empty. That's what empty means. If you put a cup's worth of water in a cup, you have a full cup. If you put a cup's worth of water in a gallon jug, you have an empty jug. The amount of content is irrelevant. It's the content to space ratio that determines whether something is empty or not. In the case of BOTW, there is so much space I don't have faith they can make the amount of content needed to fill it...and their last attempt at trying not only failed, but involved lazily copy/pasting the same content over and over in a desperate effort to pad things out. They didn't even come close.

I mean really, if they can't fill the world using the cheapest, quickest, and laziest methods of padding, what hope is there that they're going to fill it with meaningful content?
emp·ty
/ˈem(p)tē/
Learn to pronounce
adjective

1. 1.
    containing nothing; not filled or occupied.
    "the room was empty of furniture"
    synonyms:vacant, unoccupied, uninhabited, untenanted, clear, free, bare, desolate, deserted,abandoned

TW3 is not some void, it just requires more than five seconds of walking to find something. Adding pointless busywork doesn't make a world feel less empty, it makes it cluttered (a good example are the treasure caches in Skellige, widely unpopular busywork that makes the ocean feel cluttered).

Reactions: Dio
All I can say is that if BotW2 doesn't manage to be better then the first one, not only will it receive the backlash, but it will be much worse than BotW's backlash because of how people overpraised it. BotW2 is coming off the heels of supposidly the most successful Zelda game of all time, so it has alot a stake if it turns out to be inferior.

Deep down I do believe this style of Zelda can work if it addresses the issues brought up in BotW and either gets rid of them or improves on them. At the moment the fact that Ganondorf will most likely be the Villan in BotW2 is already a step in the right direction. But I do have this feeling BotW2 will be doing alot of carbon copy repeating, but if they can do it in a way that is refreshing, then I still have a little spec of hope left for this sequel. And if BotW2 turns out to be a not so much sucess, you only have BoTW1's overwhelming ego to blame for it.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
I could see this being interesting, if they just copy-paste the map and then make some alterations. Like having Castle Town in the middle of reconstruction, without the Guardians everywhere. Maybe some rebuilding on the Castle as well (could be how they uncover the tomb Ganon is in).

I want more info first, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom