• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Individuality Vs Conformity

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This thread was sparked because of mandym287 :yes:

Anyway, what do you think of individuality? And what of conformity? If you could choose, would you rather be an individual, or someone part of a group? Why/why not?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Well, you have 'liked' several of the posts I've made in the past about how I try to conform as little as possible, and I stand by that. I hate being in groups. My friends and I have our own small group, but we're actually known around the school as the "group of nonconformatism," because we are quite literally a group of individualists. We are never afraid to be ourselves, which is why we get along so well. The other groups seem too restrictive to me, since it's like 'be like us or your out.' I hate conformity to be frank, because it doesn't express who somebody is as an individual.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I have no real opinion on them. I like my individuality but I don't chase it like some people do and I'm certainly not some hipster, I just do whatever makes me feel happy. If something popular's good, sure I'm on board, if I don't like it then I don't care. So, yeah, I don't chase individuality or conformity. Although I guess in just doing what I like that's kinda chasing individuality... but, it's not on the fore-front of my mind to deliberately be different or anything. ;)

Big Octo

=^)
It's always quite interesting to ponder and discuss both mentalities.

To say for myself, I am more individualistic. Sure, I can still hang out in a group, but that doesn't mean I'll always think exactly what they do and do the exact same things. Come to think of it, the people I mainly socialize with are unique themselves, so it works.

It doesn't feel right for me to conform to something, as it feels like I'm doing something unnatural. This is especially the case if it's something I don't believe in or support. As enticing as the ground sounds, I think I will stay at the top of the cliff.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I've thought about this sometimes. If I were forced to choose, I would be a little hesitant. I try to be myself, whether that clashes with how most people generally are. But, I also don't like standing out because I prefer to avoid conflict if I can. But, I think I would choose to be an individual. Being true to myself is something I like to try to do. It's something that's important to me. I think being myself despite going against the crowd is worth it.

masterSword2

Smile!
I think either of them are fine, as long as you aren't doing one for the wrong reasons. It's ok to conform and go along with big groups if you genuinely fit with what that group is. It's ok to just be yourself and not fit in to any group. Whats not ok though, is changing yourself just to fit in, or being a hipster just to get attention.

I'm more of an individual. I'm an athlete, but not a jock. I'm a gamer and do nerdy things, but don't fall under the nerd category. I'm a musician, but not a band geek etc.. I mostly just do my own thing, and I'm happiest that way. :)

Most of my regular behaviors are often considered by my peers to be extremely individualistic. Thing is, I've never necessarily gone out of my way to be different or anything of the sort. I am just being myself, and everything that the majority does just so happens to be things that are unattractive to me. That being said, I am not very much of a nonconformist, either, you know? However, most people wouldn't believe me if I told them that. But what else can I say? Society makes it hard to be you...

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
There are certain behaviors that you should probably conform to - for example bathing and washing your clothing. You can be who you want to be (your country's legal restrictions apply), but don't act indignantly if you decide to veer far afield from the 'norm' and are generally rejected by society.

ILU

i luv u
I don't believe that conformity negates individuality, nor do I believe that all conformity is a conscious choice. And sometimes, conformity may be better for the individual rather than individuality.

You may be forced into some level of conformity (school uniforms, military garb, etc), but that doesn't strip you of your individuality. You are still you if you want to be.

I don't try to be an individual, and I don't try to conform. I am just me, and sometimes certain aspects of "me" may or may not conform or be individual. I (used to) wear makeup like most other girls around me, not to conform, but because it helped heal my skin (mineral makeup). Now I don't wear it, but I'm not making the choice to be an individual.

If I'm part of a group, it's usually because I simply share a common goal or interest. However, I have made conscious decisions not to share interests for fear of being ridiculed for unpopular taste, so maybe that is an indirect form of conformity. I dunno. ^_^;

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I'd say it doesn't really matter. Just be yourself. Keep in mind though that there are certain behaviors you should conform to, Like Curm said. You may have to conform to some things to be socially acceptable, or be accepted by the law. You can still be and individual though. Just be who you want to be.

I don't really think about it to be honest. I know I am an individual but I need to conform to some things. I just really "go with the flow" really. I guess that could mean I conform to things, but I'm not afraid to be myself.

I'd rather not have other people/things control me, but it just happens sometimes.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Individuality is extremely important to me. The people I respect the most are people who are unapologetically themselves, who doesn't let others dictate what they say, how they act, what their interests are and so on.

While I can understand why people choose to conform, as it's in many ways the easier path, a way to come into the fold, I view conformity to be restrictive and oppressive. You give other people power over you, over your life, and I honestly don't believe that's the path to true happiness. Contentment, maybe, but there will always be some sort of worry of rejection if you fail to "follow the rules".

Individuality might not be an easy path, it is a guaranteed way of meeting rejection. However, it is the path to truth. And if truly embraced, I believe it is the true path to freedom, and in turn to true happiness.

And I don't need to consider which I would choose of the two, because I have already chosen. I choose individuality. I make the choices I want to make no matter how people regard me for it. Far as I am concerned, they are the ones missing out by rejecting my way of life, not me :)

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I would say I'm individualist in the sense that I would hate to try and lose everything that makes me different in order to fit in with a majority when that just isn't true to me. But when I like something that a lot of other people like, I like it because I think it's good and not because everyone else says I should like it. I don't believe in this whole, lets not be excited by anything mainstream because that is not cool attitude. I like things and I am allowed to like things regardless of if other people do or don't. It doesn't bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom