• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Incarnations: The Return of Zelda

• Thread starter TheSkywardSword
  • Start date
T

TheSkywardSword

Okay, who knows who I am? *looks around at confused faces* Umm...

So anyway, my contribution to the writing community! I've been working on this for a while now, and I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Somethings to say:

1) Timeline? What timeline? This story follows all the games, which went in order of release. :O Except for Skyward Sword, which was before everything else. Also, no evolutions, which means stuff like Zoras and Ritos in the same fanfic. :S

2) Short but Regular updates. :)

Anyway... Let us begin!

PROLOGUE: THE PRISONER

The prisoner, slumped in his cell, was sound asleep. His hands hung limply above him, secured by thick chains that reached to the ceiling. His purple clothing, once rich and fine, now barely wrapped around him in rags.
His red eyes blinked open. In one swift movement, the prisoner whipped his head around to toss his long, pale violet hair back, then turned back, straining his eyes to make out the figure on the moon phase chart on the wall of his cell.
The chart was the only possession in the cell. Weeks ago, when he had been convicted of potentially evil behaviour, he had pleaded to keep the chart. The jurors could see no harm in giving him such a seemingly harmless possession.
But it was not quite as harmless as the jurors thought. The prisoner continued to stare at the chart. What was the date? What was the moon phase of today?
New moon.
It was time.
The prisoner closed his eyes again, squeezing them tightly as he concentrated hard.
The chains holding him snapped as if they were pieces of straw as a surge of power rippled from him, through the air. He fell to the ground with a thud.
A few seconds later, the prisoner heard a clunk sound from afar, and he opened his eyes. As he heard a second clunk, he smiled in satisfaction, picking himself up and staggering to the door.
His work here was done.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
Hm. Mysterious. It's very short, and I like long things, but it is really well-written too. I'm very intrigued...

T

TheSkywardSword

Thank you Mikau-Incarnate! Don't worry, this is the shortest part by far, chapters will get longer as the story goes on. And because you've all been so patient, here's Chapter 1! Sorry about Impa being so out of character: I couldn't think of anyone else to fit her role, and I didn't want to create an OC just yet.

And before I forget again, I do not own any characters, settings or plot elements to do with the Legend of Zelda franchise. :D

CHAPTER 1: THE DREAM

‘Mum,’ said a voice.

Impa looked up from the newspaper she was reading to see her seven-year-old daughter, Aryll, at the top of the stairs.

Aryll hugged her stuffed seagull tightly. ‘I’m tired,’ she continued, ‘can I go to bed early tonight?’

‘Of course,’ Impa replied. ‘Come along now.’

After tucking Aryll in, Impa set about finding her older brother Link. During his childhood, he had been such a sweet child, but upon turning twelve, he had become troubled. He would play truant, staying away for hours at a time. Impa might catch a glimpse of him at breakfast and not see him again til dinner. He was moody as well, with ‘no’ becoming one of his most used words.

His most unusual habit, however, was insisting on wearing the same garment every day – a green tunic and cap, white pants and brown leather shoes with a matching belt. He often thrust his trusty wooden sword into his belt. Although Impa had no hypothesis of the turn he had taken, she knew two things in particular that he was bothered about.

One was that he had grown up without a father.

The second was that he had no shadow.

Impa found him at last, sitting on his windowsill. The sunset had disappeared long ago, and Kakariko Village had since been plunged into darkness. The cuccos could be heard clucking from the other side of the village. Link had been stargazing, another of his newfound interests. But now his head rested on the window frame and a small snore escaped from his lips every few minutes.

Slowly but gently, Impa lifted Link off the windowsill. But before placing him on his bed, she held him in her arms for a moment. Moments like this were very rare now, and she wanted to make the most of it.

Link suddenly jerked. Impa gasped as she checked him over and found that he was sweating. She listened to his quickened breath, and felt for his racing heartbeat. She placed him gently on his bed, where she watched helplessly as he tossed and turned violently.

After a while, he grew still again. His eyes snapped open.

Link drew long breaths as his eyes searched the darkened room and came to rest on his mother.

‘Mother,’ he said. ‘I just had the most horrible dream ever. It was-‘

‘Don’t worry about it now, Link,’ Impa insisted. ‘Try to sleep now.’

Deep in the woods, surrounded by trees, was a green jewel.

Under the ground, at the end of a long corridor lit with torches, was another jewel, this one red.

At the bottom of a lake, encased in a large bubble, was a blue third gem.
On top of a high tower, hidden in the clouds was a fourth gem, another green one.

In a dark cave, littered with rocks, was a red jewel.

Encased in ice, at the top of a mountain, was another blue gem.

These jewels spun slowly, hovering over their pedestals. Small mouse-like creatures with bushy tails fanned them, cleaned them and worshipped them.

One of the mouse creatures looked up from scrubbing the top of a jewel. ‘Umm… does anyone sense evil at all?’

Then a surge of power hit them. The mouse creatures shielded their eyes from the glare as the power hit the crystals.

The six jewels began to spin faster. They spun uncontrollably as they rose from the pedestals and light emanated from them.

Then, as suddenly as it began, the light disappeared and the crystals fell with a thud to the floor. The mouse creatures rushed to them, but to no avail. The crystals were not physically broken, but of no more use spiritually. Now trouble would befall them.

Link lay awake, thinking about the dream. Should he just dismiss it as a dream, as his mother had recommended? Or was it something more than a dream? Was it a prophecy?

Was it… adventure?

Unknown to Link, another had shared his dream.

Another child his age, from across Hyrule, had the same dream as he had, but for this child, the dream didn’t stop there. It went further…

... Find the boy, the next in line of the Hero of Time. He will aid you on your journey. Then see the Great Deku Tree, who will tell you more…

The child awoke and got out of bed. She went to the wardrobe and pulled out a brown cloth, which was tied around her waist and pulled up over her head, careful to hide the bright clothes she was wearing, although they were the dullest clothes she owned.

The girl hastened to find paper on which to write a note to her father.

Dear Father, I have been called to begin a quest. I must do it for Hyrule’s sake. Do not search for me, I am safe.

Your daughter

She signed her name, placed the note on her bed and sped off into the night.

T

TheSkywardSword

Alright, time for Chapter 2! The action will start soon, don't worry! Link is such a brat in this XD

CHAPTER 2: ZELDA

‘Hya! Hyaaaah!’ It was the next day, and Link was practising his sword skills, causing the cuccos in their nearby pen to flap their wings and scuttle away in alarm.

‘Hurr…’ Link prepared himself and his sword… ‘YAAAAAH!’ as he let fly with a flurry of spin attacks.
One brave cucco waddled towards him. It cocked its head and pecked the ground.

‘Hah! You don’t scare me, little cucco!’ Link mocked. The cucco waddled closer and prepared to peck. Link held out his wooden shield. ‘Just watch me. Watch me. Watch me… HAH!’ as the cucco pecked into his shield.

‘See? See? You are no match for the legendary Hero of Time! Hyah!’ Link slashed his sword again to prove just how skilled he was.

‘And he plants the blade in the final foe…’ Link plunged his sword into a nearby Gossip Stone.

‘Yeah! I’m the Hero of Time! I sealed away evil forever! I saved Princess Zelda!’

‘Ouch!’

Link looked around, startled. The Gossip Stone had sprung to life.

‘What was that for? What did I ever do to you?’ the Stone continued.

Link rolled his eyes and frowned.

‘Link?’ He could hear his mother calling. Perfect! He sighed in relief.

‘Coming Mother!’ he replied, and sprinted away.

‘You! Hey wait! Stop! I haven’t finished! Come back here! I can’t follow you – I have no legs! I said, COME BACK!’ the Stone hollered after him.

Link had always been proud of his lineage, and boasted about it to the other children whenever he had the chance. On his mother’s side, he was the son of a line of caretakers of the Hylian princesses. This was indeed wonderful, but there was a lot more than that.

His paternal ancestors had been warriors, bound to serve Hyrule. Each had their own individual story – there was the Hero of Winds and the Hero of Twilight. But there was one very special ancestor he particularly liked.

He was descended from the Hero of Time.

There was, however, a downside to being a descendant of the famous hero – his lack of a shadow. He had never had one before in his life. Even now, as he stood in the sun and looked about him, there was only the sun-filled grass. Not a shadow in sight, save for the nearby buildings. This troubled him a lot. Even the Hero of Time had had a shadow.

Another downside was that he never saw his father. Following in his ancestor’s footsteps, his father had joined the Hylian army. Though this secured an income, it was also very traumatic to not have his father in the house.

A third downside was that, having turned twelve, Link was itching for adventure. Hero blood ran through his veins and he was determined to show it. He knew that his future did not rest in Kakariko Village, it rested in fame and adventure, and he was ready to go.

But for now, he was still in his mother’s custody, and that meant that he had to follow her orders and go to her now.

Impa was looking grim when Link entered the house. Aryll was there too, her seagull clutched to her chest, her cheeks pale with worry.

‘What is it Mother?’ Link asked.

‘I have to go back to the palace,’ said Impa.

‘Why?’ Link inquired. Impa had left the palace many years ago, once the late queen had been crowned. She had wanted to go back when the young princess was born (as the queen had died in childbirth), but she had her own young son to deal with. Besides, the people blamed the Sheikah for the queen’s death, and Impa didn’t want to risk appearing in the palace.

‘I feel this is my call of duty,’ Impa replied. ‘The Princess Zelda has gone missing.’

Link felt the colour drain out of his face. ‘The Princess is missing?’ he repeated. ‘What do you mean? What is happening?’

Impa sighed. ‘She disappeared late last night. She left a note for her father the King saying not to worry and not to search for her, but the King is being overprotective again. He always was worried about her, seeing as she is his only daughter and he wants to keep the royal line going. The castle guard is searching for her now. And I must join them.

But enough about that,’ she concluded. ‘Come now. It’s lunch time – my last one here for a while.’

Lunch was a tasty cucco soup with Lon Lon milk. Link finished his serve in a trifle, but Impa denied leave of the table until she and Aryll had finished.

Link was bored. He sat at the table looking glum.

‘Mum! Big Brother’s kicking my chair again,’ Aryll complained.

‘Link, stop it,’ Impa cautioned.

‘Mum! Make Big Brother stop that annoying clinking with his spoon!’ Aryll exclaimed, putting her hands to her ears.

‘Link, stop it,’ Impa warned, raising her voice.

‘But it’s cool music!’ Link protested. He demonstrated, beating the spoon on his bowl in the tune of ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star’. ‘Dun dun dun dun dun dun daa, dun dun…’

‘Mum! Make him stop!’

‘Link, if you don’t stop this minute I’ll send you off to the Goron Craters. I’m sure they could use a tough boy like you to push heavy mine carts, lift boulders…’

‘Cool. I like the Gorons. They’re fun. And I could see Gongoron. That would be cool.’

‘Who’s Gongoron?’ Aryll asked.
‘Haven’t I told you he’s my pen…’

‘Link, you’re impossible these days.’ Impa sighed and shook her head. ‘If you do one more thing today, you will be in big trouble, I swear.’

Link fell silent. He had been joking when he said that he thought the Gorons were fun. And he had made up Gongoron.

But he was still bored.

He carefully poured some milk into his spoon and pushed the head backward.

‘Link, if you’re going to do what I think you’re going to do you’ll be…’

But it was too late. He had already let go.

‘MUM!’ Aryll screamed, spluttering through a faceful of milk.

Impa snatched Link by the arm and dragged him away from the table.

‘You are never to do that again,’ she scolded. ‘Now wait here while I clean your sister up and think of a suitable punishment for you.’ She went back to the table.

Link sulked. Why shouldn’t he be allowed some fun? Although really, he thought, you should be thankful that your mother only put you here. Next time, you’ll really be in for it.

He had been there for a few minutes, and Impa was just about to fetch him back, when there was a knock at the door.

‘Could you get that, please?’ Impa called.

‘Sure!’ Link exclaimed. He made a beeline for the door and opened it.

Standing there was a graceful young woman about Link’s age. She was wrapped in a rough brown cloak, and the hood obscured all but two curly locks of her long blonde hair. The two locks hung in front of her face, either side of her soft blue eyes. Another thing the hood could not hide were her long, pointed ears.

‘Excuse me,’ she asked. ‘Are you Link?’

Link nodded.

She exhaled in relief. A shy smile emerged from her lips, showing her pearly white teeth.

‘Thank goodness!’ she exclaimed.

Link raised an eyebrow.

The girl sighed. ‘Perhaps I should explain. I am Zelda.’

T

TheSkywardSword

And now for chapter 3! They're all so out of character :P Enjoy!

CHAPTER 3: LEAVING KAKARIKO

Link’s eye’s bulged as he forced himself into a bow. ‘The princess?’ he ventured. ‘Everyone’s looking for you! My own mother, for instance! What are you doing here, at my house?’ His voice rose with every word.

‘Hold on Link. Don’t start shouting my presence,’ Zelda said. ‘I need to speak to you in private. Do you have the time?’

Link hesitated. He would dearly have loved to speak with the princess. Maybe she was the way out of here. Maybe this was the door to his fame and fortune!

On the other hand…

‘I’m sorry, Your Highness. I would love to, but we’re right in the middle of lunch at the moment. Can you wait for about ten minutes?’ It wasn’t what he had hoped to say, but he didn’t want Impa at him again.

Zelda nodded.

At that moment, Impa’s voice rang out through the hall. ‘Link, who is it?’

Zelda’s already pale face turned even paler. ‘No! Don’t tell her. If an adult finds out I’m here, they will just take me home without listening to my plea. I’ll wait just outside the village for you.’ She turned and sped away.

‘Link?’ Impa was getting impatient now.

Link thought quickly.

‘Don’t worry Mother,’ he called. ‘It’s just Malon.’ Malon was Link’s best friend from Lon Lon Ranch. ‘Can I go to Lon Lon after lunch?’

‘Fine, Link. But if you mess up one more time before lunch is over, you won’t. Now come back to the table!’

Link grunted and returned to the table, where he behaved like an angel until lunch was over.

Inside, he was overjoyed.

Ten minutes later, Link quickly headed to the village gates to see Zelda waiting for him.

‘Good to see you made it, Link,’ she said. ‘I can now tell you of my quest.
‘You have heard the legends of the Hero of Time? How he sealed away Ganondorf in darkness and rescued my ancestor?’

‘Yes, Your Highness, in fact he was my –‘

‘Link, I am aware that he was your ancestor, but please do not interrupt me.’ Zelda requested. ‘As I was saying, Ganondorf had freed himself from his bonds before, but the Hero of Twilight and the Hero of Winds were there to stop him. Now he is sealed the tightest of all, but I have dreamt of his return. In my dreams I see his shackles breaking and him roaming Hyrule. Are you with me so far?’

Link nodded. His thoughts turned to the dream he had had the previous night. Could it be…?

‘I had a dream too,’ he said.

‘Really?’ Zelda asked. She continued. ‘Anyway, if Ganondorf does escape…’ She looked up to the sky as if praying. ‘There’s no knowing what he would do. He will stop at nothing to get the Triforce, he has done so much for it already. And in the meantime…’ She choked back a sob.

‘Continue,’ said Link. ‘I see what you’re getting at.’

Zelda looked at him with her hypnotic eyes. ‘I am a princess. A princess who will one day be the queen of Hyrule. I want my subjects to be safe from harm, safe from evil. Which is why I want your help.

There is a way to maintain his bonds, but I do not know what it is. But in my dreams I have been told to seek out the youngest in the line of heroes (Link beamed) in the hope that they would accompany me on my quest. So will you?’

Link couldn’t believe his ears. Here was someone asking him if he would go on an adventure!

‘Of course, Your Highness!’ he exclaimed.

‘Good,’ Zelda grinned. ‘The dreams tell me to go to the Great Deku Tree to find out how to seal Ganondorf away forever… But… hang on… you do have a weapon, don’t you? You know that you’re going to need one?’
Link smiled weakly as he produced his wooden play sword and plastic shield.

Zelda sighed. ‘Go get yourself a sword and shield then,’ she said resolutely.

‘I will, Your Highness,’ Link nodded curtly and he turned to go back home.

‘Mother?’ Link called as he entered his house. ‘Are you still here? Or have you gone to find Zelda already?’

‘I’m right here, Link,’ Impa said, appearing from nowhere. ‘What do you want?’

‘Do you have a proper sword I could use? Not to mention a shield?’

Impa frowned. ‘And what do you want with a real sword? You’re only twelve – those swords can be sharp.’

‘Mother, that’s just it. I’m twelve, my play sword is not enough. I’m ready for a metal blade. And a shield too. Can I have them please?’ Link would have liked to tell her the truth, but Zelda’s secret was too much to waste.

Impa thought for a moment. ‘If you want to have a sword and shield I want to be sure that you can use them properly. Come downstairs.’

Impa lead Link downstairs, where she showed and taught him a number of sword and shield techniques that she had learnt at the castle, including fighting stances, the proper way to hold a sword, slashes, stabs, jump and spin attacks and the proper way to hold and use a shield.

Link learnt fast, in some cases doing even better that Impa had.

‘Good work, Link,’ said Impa, presenting him with a Guard’s Dagger (the lowest form of sword at the castle) and a wooden shield. ‘Now pray tell – what do you want with a real sword and shield? You’re not going to terrorise the cuccos, are you? Or even wound or kill them?’

‘No Mother! Those cuccos would sooner kill me than I them!’

Despite the laughter that ensued from that remark, Link could not hold it in any longer. He sighed.

‘I’ll be going away for a while… and I’m not sure when I’ll be back.’

The full realisation of the situation hit him. He was leaving Kakariko Village, the village he had grown up in. He may never see his home, his sister, his mother again. He fell into his mother’s arms, crying.

When he had composed himself, he told her the whole story. Impa made to go outside when she heard that Zelda was there, but Link stopped her.

‘I don’t know whether I want to do this Mother, but I have to do it for the princess’ sake… and for your sake too. I’m sorry Mother, but goodbye.’

He gave Impa another hug, then left the basement. Before he left the house though, he went upstairs to Aryll’s room and gave her a hug too.

‘Eww, boy cooties!’ Aryll exclaimed, but she didn’t object to him.

‘Goodbye,’ Link said feebly, then turned and left the house for what might be the last time.

T

TheSkywardSword

Alright, next chapter out! :)

CHAPTER 4: THE GREAT DEKU TREE

‘Thank goodness!’ Zelda sighed with relief when she saw Link returning with a sword and shield. When he got closer, she could see that he had been crying. ‘What’s wrong?’ she asked.

‘It’s nothing,’ Link brushed it aside. ‘Come on, Your Highness, let’s get out of here.’ He started to walk out of the gates.

Zelda stared after him for a moment. ‘Hold on Link!’ she finally called as she ran after him.

Once Kakariko Village was out of sight, Link and Zelda stopped to rest.
Zelda looked back the way they had come. Kakariko Village was just a blur. She looked the other way, the way they were going. Thick forest obscured their way.

She decided that her disguise would not be needed for a while yet, and fumbled to find the string which was tied around her waist.

Link was sitting under a tree, waiting for his breath to catch up with him. He may be the Hero’s descendant, but he was built for fighting, not walking.

He turned his head from his feet.

And gasped in shock.

Zelda had removed her disguise.

Her long blonde hair was now free and waved in the gentle breeze. She wore a pink jewel on her forehead. Now that her cloak had gone, her long black eyelashes seemed to stand out on her pale face. She wore a long pink dress that reached down to her ankles. An embroidered crest hung from around her waist.

Link continued to stare.

‘Is there a problem Link?’ Zelda asked, confused.

‘No, Your Highness,’ Link said quickly, snapping out of his daze. ‘I just wasn’t expecting such a change.’

Zelda laughed. ‘Well, I must wear something under the cloth I’m using for my disguise. And you can cease your formalities. Zelda will do.’

Link managed a smile. ‘Okay then… Zelda.’

‘Are you ready?’ Zelda asked, ‘because we still have a long way ahead of us to the Great Deku Tree.’

Link nodded, got up and he and Zelda continued their way.

If Link and Zelda had thought to look behind them as they left, they may just have seen a small shadow zip from one tree to another.

And if they had thought to listen, they might have heard the rustling of clothes and the scribbling of a pencil.

But, as is the way, they didn’t.

It is the way of the Sheikah to make sure they don’t.

Shark slightly altered his position behind the tree. He held a pencil in his right hand and a writing pad was balanced on his knees. Even if Link and Zelda had had the misfortune to see him, he probably wouldn’t have noticed or cared. He was too intent on his writing.

1. Zelda disappeared from the castle this morning. I later found a beggar child speaking to a boy who was wearing the clothes of the hero. They were making plans to see the Great Deku Tree. I followed them into the woods and saw the beggar remove her outer garment to reveal her royal dress.

The hero and princess of legend have returned.

After another few hours of walking, Link and Zelda stopped for a break under a large tree.

Link admired the scenery. Since they had stopped before, the path they took had become crowded with forest. He felt calm in this forest, sort of at home. He knew that the Hero of Time had spent his childhood with the Kokiri, but didn’t think that, thousands of years later, this would affect him.

‘It is rather tiring, isn’t it?’ Zelda’s soft voice broke into his thoughts.

‘Hmm?’ he asked, startled.

‘This whole adventure. I wasn’t expecting Hyrule to be so large.’

Link let her words sink in. Of course. Zelda must be having a horrific time; after all, she is the princess, he thought. Princesses aren’t particularly known for being able to walk long distances. And what must it have been like to walk all the way to Kakariko Village? Surely it was tiring.

Link felt the wind against him. It didn’t seem to blow, strangely – it seemed to suck, as if the tree behind him was breathing in deeply to say something.

‘And then the quest itself,’ Zelda continued. ‘Will it take long? Will we die of exhaustion before it is over?’

‘No you won’t,’ said a voice.

Link and Zelda jumped. ‘Who is that?’ Zelda asked in a weak voice.

‘Are you looking for the Great Deku Tree?’ the voice continued.
Link stood up and unsheathed his sword. ‘Yes, but who are you?’ he asked, trying to mask his fright by putting on an air of self-confidence.

‘I am who you seek,’ said the voice. ‘I am the tree you are resting under, The Great Deku Tree III.’

‘The Great Deku Tree?’ Zelda asked, genuinely surprised. ‘The guardian of forest?’ She bowed to it.

Link stood still, but forced himself into a bow. When he raised his head, he could see a face etched into the tree.

The Great Deku Tree laughed. ‘Children are funny things, they take offence to you until they find out that you are nobility, then they fall head over heels to praise you,’ he chuckled to himself.

Or was it to himself? An owl hooted in the distance.

Zelda turned back to the matter at hand. ‘Link and I have dreamt that Ganondorf is returning, and we have been told that you can help us. What are we supposed to do?’

‘Ganondorf…’ the Great Deku Tree mused. ‘I have heard that name before. He is the Gerudo man that was possessed by Ganon, is he not?’

Link and Zelda looked blank.

‘… You don’t know, do you?’ the Great Deku Tree said, breaking the silence. ‘Ah well - there is no time to explain now. Yes, I have heard that something was going on about him. Yes, indeed.’

‘Great Deku Tree!’ Link exclaimed. ‘What are we supposed to do to stop him?’

‘Oh yes,’ said the Great Deku Tree. ‘Now there is a way to stop him. ‘You have heard the legend of the Triforce, have you not?’

‘No,’ said Zelda. ‘I think I have been told, but I think I have forgotten it.’

‘Very well, then,’ the Great Deku Tree sighed. ‘I will tell it to you. Shall I begin?’

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheSkywardSword

SORRY THIS IS LATE!!! School started back this week for me, and I had to edit this chappie anyway because of SKYWARD SWORD! Remember, this is the legend that the current Hyrule believes - all the games in published order, except for SS first. Also, for less complications, not all the games will be included.

And thank you ZC.

CHAPTER 5: THE HISTORY OF HYRULE

‘In the very beginning, millions of years ago, there was only light and darkness,' began the Great Deku Tree. 'Back then, they were as different from each other as chalk and cheese, but they coexisted peacefully.

The light split and became three, Din, Nayru and Farore, the three goddesses.

The goddess of power, Din, began to dance, and as she danced, the earth appeared under her feet and followed her. When she leapt, the land leapt with her, making tall hills and high mountains. When she dropped to her knees and danced lowly, the earth sank too, creating valleys, gorges and lakes. Din had created space.

The goddess of wisdom, Nayru, began to sing. And with the sound that came from her mouth, knowledge came too. It curled around the land, making rivers run, fires burn, winds blow and the days and nights pass. Nayru had created time.

The goddess of courage, Farore, painted the world with diversity. Plants began to grow, animals awoke and people of many races spoke. Farore had created life.

The goddesses created spirits to watch over the land. Din created Leaf, Nayru created Neri and Farore created Ciela. Content with their work, the goddesses left the world they had created to the spirits, only to glance over it occasionally to check that everything was all right.

At the place where they left the world, there was a blinding flash, and a mysterious artefact appeared. People call it the Triforce. It consists of three golden triangles arranged to make another triangle. The uppermost triangle was Din’s Triforce, the Triforce of Power. The lower left triangle was Nayru’s Triforce, the Triforce of Wisdom. The lower right triangle was Farore’s Triforce, the Triforce of Courage.

The people kept the Triforce holy. They closed off the place that it was kept and called it the Sacred Realm. If anyone managed to touch the Triforce, they said, they would have one wish granted. If they were good and pure of heart, the Triforce would stay one and the wish would be granted. If their heart were overbalanced, the wish would still be granted, but the Triforce would split into three. The Triforce of which the wisher was full of most would be awarded to them, and secured onto their left hand. The other two Triforces would search the land to find bearers of their own, following the same criteria as the other Triforce.’

‘Meanwhile, the darkness was sulking. The light had made the world without its consent. The darkness turned away from the light, giving itself a name that people now believe will bring certain doom to the world, so it was never spoken, and thus forgotten with the ages.

The darkness created seven evils to help it in its revenge against the light. But even with the other evils’ help, the darkness knew that it could not unravel the goddesses’ work. It needed a mundane man to help it.
It confided in the Gerudo man, Ganondorf.

Now don’t get me wrong here, Ganondorf was not evil. Nothing in the world of the goddesses was evil. Ganondorf wouldn’t dream of being evil. He just had a reason to need a wish granted. He had heard of the Triforce and wanted his hands on it. He wanted to wish for something to make his world better.

The darkness used this to its advantage. It called out to its most trusted evil, Ganon, who reached out and possessed Ganondorf. It turned his attention from greed to destruction. It made his lust for the Triforce stronger than ever.

In the heavens, the goddesses saw Ganon’s evil intentions. So they made a boy, a boy they named Link, because he was their link from the heavens to the earth. They made this boy strong, smart and above all, brave.

They created the Hero of Time.

The Hero met with the princess of the land (the people had been quick to establish a pecking order) and slew Ganondorf, thinking that he was the source of the evil. But Ganon was quick. He cast the dead body of Ganondorf aside – he didn’t need it anymore – and became his natural mundane form, a giant wild boar.

The Hero and the Princess tried their best, and eventually slew Ganon’s body. But the spirit of Ganon lived on. He reclaimed the body of Ganondorf, whose spirit had long left this world to join the goddesses. But the happiness of Ganondorf (as this is what he became to be known by) was short-lived, as the sages that the Hero had awakened throughout his quest were quick to seal him away in the Shadow Realm, where he, the darkness and his evils remained. While the darkness was not happy that Ganondorf had failed, it still recognised Ganondorf’s potential and put him in charge of the revenge while it devised a new plan.

Now, one at a time, the other evils escaped their prison, and returned, to prove their worth to Ganondorf and the darkness. First Majora escaped, but later returned after being slain itself. Then Onox and Veran escaped together to try to resurrect Ganondorf. All three were slain.

Then Ganondorf himself grew tired of waiting, and after much toil from him and his fellow evils, managed to escape twice. But the goddesses were ready, sending descendants of the Hero of Time (the Hero of Twilight and the Hero of Winds) to seal his fate once again.

Then it was the turn of Bellum, then Malladus, to test their fate. Both were slain also, but Ganondorf accepted that each evil had lasted a suitable time on the earth to be worthy of their appearance in his presence.

Recently, the sages decided that Ganondorf, and therefore the darkness, was becoming stronger, so they renewed his bonds with a Triforce Seal. They created six jewels, called the Triforce Crystals, a Lesser and a Greater Crystal for each Triforce. They placed these around the land of Hyrule in the shape of the Triforce itself, and appointed a race known as the Picori to care for the gems so they would not be harmed.

Not much has come from the Shadow Realm as of late, but a half-Picori named Vaati has been accused of potentially evil behaviour, partially directed to resurrecting the seven evils from their grave, and so has been imprisoned. But he escaped last night, and needless to say, he almost certainly still has great power.’

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom