• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Inactive Link

I do wish Link had a bit more about him!
He never gets ‘going’ he is a bland character, the only time I’ve seen him do something spontaneous is at the start of the Sand Seal Race!
Was a surprise when I saw him doing stretching exercises!

Toon Link (The Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, etc) has a lot more fun in the situations he's in, and the art style kind of encourages him to be more expressive in that way. Link in Breath of the Wild does have the occasional moment where he appears to be having fun though. Kinda similar to your stretching observation, he has a unique idle animation if he's not wearing a shirt where he'll flex and check out his biceps.

I feel like they forgot how to write him the WW way or perhaps they were a different team. In Japan they have very strict views about 'imposing' to put it mildly.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
He a link to you so i think youre probably doing mini stretches before sand seal racing....

Yeh, he does have a few ‘moments’ it would just be nice if he had a bit more character on show.
He gets embarrassed about the Gerudo clothing but has no reaction to any of the females he encounters like the Sheep farmer who invites him to spend time with her and Paya who obviously likes him.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Well, in BotW it is sorta explained why he is the way he is. If you read Zelda's diary, she notes that the reason Link doesn't really speak or express himself that much is because he feels the weigth of his duty so heavily that he is very focused on maintaining a stoic facade.

"With so much at stake, and so many eyes upon him, he feels it necessary to stay strong and to silently bear any burden."

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Well, in BotW it is sorta explained why he is the way he is. If you read Zelda's diary, she notes that the reason Link doesn't really speak or express himself that much is because he feels the weigth of his duty so heavily that he is very focused on maintaining a stoic facade.

"With so much at stake, and so many eyes upon him, he feels it necessary to stay strong and to silently bear any burden."
I'm pretty sure that in "Creating a Champion" they said somewhere that they intended for Link to be a little more carefree in BotW than he was before the calamity, with his amnesia wiping away the memory of his burden and nobody knowing who he is or having expectations for him.
If I had to guess as to another reason I'd say it's just because of the nature of BotW. The game is all about the player's journey, allowing you too play at your own pace and to go wherever you please. Just as how the story aspects are minimal as not to distract from this, Link's personality is hidden so the player can focus on their own feelings and not his.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yeah he was much more expressive and stuff in WW despite not speaking too, so its not the lack of speaking that's the prob. Be nice to get some of that WW personality back for BOTW2. :)

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

A nice way of trying to narratively justify why he's barely a character.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I agree that Link's being a minimalist character got a bit awkward at times in BotW, especially the one memory with Nabuuro where she just said "Your silence speaks volumes." That was an awkward moment in what was supposed to be an important scene.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Yeah, it's disappointing to see Link be so lacking in expression in BotW. The most you get is some dialogue options that don't really have the same vibe as a wild glance or happy vocalisms.

WW probably came closest to making Link feel sufficiently expressive despite his lack of speech. I mean, look at this victory dance.
giphy.gif

Full of personality, among several other instances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom