• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda In What Order Did You Play the Zelda Games? And What Did You Think of Them?

I'll preface by saying my initial experience wasn't playing the Zelda games the myself but rather watching my eldest brother play them alongside my middle brother. This started off with OoT, and continued on during MM. I messed around on his profile a bit but never truly experienced completing dungeons myself. More often than not I would just play around Kakariko Village or play the ocarina songs eventually to the point of memorization much to the surprise of my brothers (I was about 9-10 years old). I thought the games looked awesome but I was terrified of trying to play them myself. My introduction wouldn't come until a few years later.

About 3-4 years later, I had acquired a Gameboy advance, and my brother had heard of Oracle of Ages as well as Seasons. We each got one and although it took me a couple years, I eventually completed each one. I loved the items and although the fighting was incredibly difficult for me, I was eventually successful. It was an incredibly rewarding experience, having been the most challenging game I had completed to date. Even at that point I had yet to beat the Elite Four in any Pokemon game.

We had heard of WW at the time, but being as young as we were, we thought the cartoon-like Link looked stupid as though they turned Zelda into a kid's game. We never bought the game, and I wouldn't get to experience it until much later.

After a long time of not purchasing another game from the franchise. The Gamecube passed, and the Wii was announced. Twilight Princess had both me and my brothers excited. We bought the console on release alongside TP. This time I was more than ready for the adventure to come. Getting used to mechanics took some time, but with more experience, I got the hang of it. I loved every second of it, and the adventure was more grand than any other I had experienced in a game. To this day TP is my favorite Zelda game, even recently, playing through it again I found new things to love, such as the Midna's character development as well as the tone that the game starts with and changes as you proceed. The items despite taking a large amount of reference from OoT were changed in order to create new uses that were personally unexpected and welcomed. It had everything that made OoT great as well as a wealth of new things to appreciate alongside them, and for the first time I got to experience it all first hand. With this title also truly started my fascination of the series, whereas my brothers' interest in it waned.

Another couple years without too much continuation of my Zelda experience lead me to become attached to the DS. One day talking to one of my friends they were telling me about Phantom Hourglass. Seeing as I hadn't played a handheld Zelda since OoA/S and the fact that it seemed to be incredibly similar to the 3D Zelda titles I picked it up soon after. Although my memory of the game is fuzzy, I do remember greatly enjoying it being able to customize the ship as well as how fun sailing from island to island was.

Following in the previous trend, this time Spirit Tracks was coming out. But unlike the past experience, this time I was much more aware of this title's release. After picking up the title soon after it's release the train based gameplay was alright at the start but once the phantom trains appeared on the map I quickly became frustrated with it. Unlike PH in which you chose your path and were more or less free, the tracks felt incredibly confining. I become infuriated and stopped playing the title. Despite this after a few months of respite from the game I eventually picked it up again and completed it. Despite never truly enjoying the train conducting, the rest of the game was solid. I wasn't a huge fan of the phantom puzzles, but the traditional dungeon puzzles were always welcome.

The next title was one I was familiar with due to my past. I bought a 3DS at release and was thrilled once OoT 3D was announced as a title. I bought it on the release date and relived the childhood memory this time in my own control. The game was incredibly nostalgic and Master Quest made it even more memorable. I had already seen almost every dungeon and boss fight, but the experience was still incredibly entertaining. I had finally completed the very game that I had once been terrified of.

After this I did end up trying a multitude of other titles shortly. I tried to play the original Legend of Zelda, but despite my efforts never finished it due to it's difficulty. The same story occurred with Adventure of Link. Both of these played using the 3DS.

My next step was Skyward Sword and it's unique controls. Even though this was the next console Zelda, both my brothers weren't nearly as interested as I was. They condemned motion controls and had began to move onto other series such as Halo and Assassin's Creed. Nonetheless, I was thrilled to give it a shot. The stamina meter was an incredibly odd addition, as was shield durability. Shield durability is probably the biggest blunder in the game. Due to it's nature I more often focused on dodging and never found myself resorting to the shield out of fear it would break and I would have to purchase a new one. Despite this, the somewhat whimsical storyline that tied a lot of the things mentioned throughout the Zelda series was very interesting. Groose ended up being one of my favorite characters of the entire franchise by having the least stereotypical story that they could have come up with from the characters beginnings. The controls that were stemmed from the idea of freedom, made the game very difficult to adjust to. On my first play through, I found myself infuriated by all the motions required to accomplish simple tasks such as fighting enemies. The game promised for the detailed combat to be rewarding, but more often than not it punished you for being inaccurate. Despite these tribulations I did finish the game. My opinion upon it was somewhat neutral, puzzles were interesting but something was missing. After having done replays of TP and SS, despite the difference in tone the major change in the titles were the dungeons. In TP the dungeons were long, grueling and filled with chests to open, whereas the ones from SS are actually fairly small in comparison as well as being rather linear. It's not that these dungeons were bad, it's just that it needed more of them in the game in my opinion. The upside of my second play-through of SS was that the motion controls became a lot more fluid for me. Enough to the point where the SS final boss surpassed any other final boss I had experienced since the beginning of my journey throughout the franchise. It did what the premise promise, it rewarded good usage of the motion controls and you truly felt a new sense of accomplishment and connection with Link.

As of a week ago, I purchased a Wii U alongside, Windwaker HD so that I could finally check out the 3D Zelda title that everyone else in my family had missed. While the dungeons weren't particularly interesting, I did love the openness of the over-world and experiencing it for the first time. The only true moment where I was gripped by the story was Medli's character development during the game. As a character she stands among the best in terms of characters in the Zelda franchise alongside Groose. In my opinion they still don't hold a candle to Midna, but that is only my opinion. The puzzles were classic Zelda fare, and the bosses rarely disappointed. The dungeon's as a whole felt more extensive than Skyward Sword's but still fell short of the monoliths in TP and OoT. Nonetheless, the game was a ton of fun to play through. After a considerable amount of time playing the sailing portions did become a bit formulaic. After each dungeon i would find the treasures I had found maps for and then would proceed to the next mission.

The next title I'll most-likely play will be Zelda Wii U in over a year, but I couldn't be more excited. 3D console Zelda titles are rare, but well worth the wait as they always end up being a unique experience.

If I had to rate the Zelda's that I've completed, the list would probably go as such: TP > SS > OoT > WW > PH > ST > OoA/S. That said, all of these games have been fantastic, and despite the fact that I like some more than others, each was a unique experience that I enjoyed experiencing to the fullest.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Majora's Mask
Then
: OH EM GOODNESS! THIS IS THE BEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED!
Now: Whether or not it's the best Zelda game is debatable, but I certainly believe it's the strongest, adding strengths and taking away weaknesses from OoT, and it's not only my favorite Zelda game, but my favorite video game of all time. Majora's Mask, despite being a sequel to OoT, was it's own thing, which is what Zelda games should be. (I'm going to pay for that comment come the TP section)

Ocarina of Time
Then
: Wait? What? I was told this would be better than Majora's Mask. Pretty overhyped if you ask me. Oh well, it's still pretty decent.
Now: Technically the best Zelda game but not the one I enjoy most. This game is so classic it can appear dated to alot, whereas Majora's Mask and Wind Waker age much better in terms of story and gameplay, but OoT had no ground breaking OoT to go off of. It had ALttP, yes, but still no OoT which for me makes it more impressive.

Minish Cap
Then
: Wow, I didn't know 2D Zelda was fun too! This is awesome! Zelda is officially my new favorite series!
Now: One of my all time favorites. This game is just a fun experience. I don't take it too seriously within the series, but it still delivered beyond what I expect. This game, imo, is the true sequel to ALttP (despite appearing miles ahead in the timeline). I think its a great way to intro a fun loving person to the series because of all the Zelda's I think it portrays the atmosphere of fun the most, especially with that music.

Adventure of Link
Then
: This game sucks. It's too hard and too boring.
Now: I understand completely why Nintendo did what they did. It wasn't a bad idea, it was just one that didn't work. Good out of the bad? It showed us what we didn't want in a Zelda game.

Twilight Princess
Then
: ... (I was speechless with how awesome it was).
Now: Still, imo, the most under appreciated Zelda game. It certainly has it's flaws, but I think many hate it for reasons I just can't agree are good reasons. And even though I said Zelda games should be there own thing, I believe if a Zelda game is trying to be a traditional sequel, that does not make it a clone. I still don't believe this is an OoT clone, it's just a sequel in a more traditional sense.

Spirit Tracks
Then
: Okay, seriously, why are these games so good!?! I didn't even want this game, but got it as a present and it's blowing my mind with how good it is!
Now: It's a good game. I'm not in awe at it, but I'm not disappointed either. If Nintendo wants to make a game gimicky, they should use this as a blueprint. Indeed it is gimmicky, but one can easily feel the Zelda atmosphere.

A Link to the Past
Then
: Wow... that was much harder than OoT.
Now: I consider this, along with OoT, to be the greatest of the Zelda series thus far. It's no where near my favorite though.

The Wind Waker
Then
: So this is the game everyone say is... WHAT IS THAT GLORIOUS MUSIC!?! OH EM GOODNESS, I COULD LISTEN TO IT FOR HOURS!
Now: WW is a great addition to the series. The music, imo, is the best the series has offered thus far. (ST is a close second) The graphic style just goes to show that you can still have a Zelda game while changing the outside. MM is my favorite, but I think I appreciate the changes this game took more than any other Zelda game.

Skyward Sword
Then
: Meh, that was okay but it wasn't the best Zelda game I've ever played. I'm at least excited to see where Zelda is going.
Now: Much of my realization from what's bad about this series comes from this game. IMO, the worst 3D installment and really close to being the worst Zelda game period. I don't like Link or Zelda which is a first for me, exploration is eliminated, I HATE the story, I hate the villains and not in a good way, the music is forgettable which is bad for a Zelda game, the gameplay is WM+ with more WM+ and a bunch of complaints I've been saying for a long time. I don't hate this game, but it's certainly the game I like least. If I give all Zelda games atleast a nine out of ten, this one gets a six.

LoZ
Then
: It's a classic, what do you expect?
Now: It's a classic, what do you expect?

Phantom Hourglass
Then
: Okay, I understand now why everyone said ST was a clone of this. Glad I played that first.
Now: Meh, nothing to comment about. It's good but has its flaws.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Oracle of Seasons
3. Oracle of Ages
4. Majora's Mask
5. Wind Waker
6. Minish Cap
7. A Link to the Past
8. Twilight Princess
9. Skyward Sword

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
1. A Link to the Past. This game was so amazing to me that I decided to play more Zelda games.
2. The Wind Waker. It did take me a while to play my next Zelda game, but this was also a greaet game and so I continued. Not as good a ALttP though.
3. Twilight Princess. Wow, this game was amazing to me. Like A Link to the Past, but way more epic. Remains my favorite Zelda game to this day.
4. The Minish Cap. This game certainly wasn't as good as the previous three I played, but it was still a fun adventure to go through.
5. Ocarina of Time. I had heard a lot about this game and how good it was. But after I completed it, I didn't really see what everyone was talking about. Still a good game.
6. Majora's Mask. Decided to play the direct sequel to Ocarina of Time. I didn't really like how the game took the focus away from solving dungeons and put more focus into the characters, sidequests, and the world in general.
7. Legend of Zelda. So I decided to play the game that started it all. Used a walkthough all the way. Oh well.
8. Attempted playing Adventure of Link before I quickly gave up. So I moved on to the Oracle games.
First was Oracle of Seasons. I actually liked this game a lot. It had a unique style that was both simple and complicated at the same time. Good story and gameplay mechanics.
9. Oracle of Ages. This game was truly amazing. It was like Oracle of Seasons, but harder and better. To this day, I cannot beat Jabu-Jabu's Belly without getting stuck somewhere. I loved the time travelling mechanic in this game. It borrowed what Ocarina of Time had done and made it better. Definitely one of the best Zelda games made. Plus, the linked ending made my experience even better, for both games. When playing the true final boss (and died millions of times), I sort of wished I played Oracle of Seasons first because the items in that game were better and made the final boss easier (Roc's Cape and Hyper Slingshot as opposed to Roc's Feather and Seed Shooter).
10. Link's Awakening. It was a game similar in style to the Oracle Series, so I decided to give it a shot. I basically though it was like the Oracle Series, but not nearly as good or fun.
11. Phantom Hourglass. Finally got my hands on the sequel to the Wind Waker. The game wasn't that bad, even if it was sort of easy. Going through the Temple of the Ocean King for the first time was exciting.
12. Spirit Tracks. Makes sense to play this next, right? So it was kind of like Phantom Hourglass, but I didn't really like it as much as PH. Plus, the Tower of Spirits wasn't as exciting to go through.
13. Four Swords Anniversary Edition. I don't know if it counts, but why not. It was a good time killer, nothing to take seriously.
14. Skyward Sword. The motion controls were excellent. It was a big adventure and took time to go through for the first time, which I like. But it quickly became boring when I tried to play it again afterwards because of how much filler content there is in here. Plus, I didn't really get why they made the plot almost identical to Spirit Tracks, when it was released just after spirit tracks.
15. A Link Between Worlds. Reminded me of the good old days of Zelda. Great game, though I can't quite say I like it as much as A Link to the Past. Still up there though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom