• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time In The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, It is Said That the Kokiri Live Eternally

G

GibdoMaster64

If so, then why wasn't there any Kokiri in Twilight Princess, A Link to the Past, and other games in the adult side of the timeline after Ocarina of Time?

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
uh i think maybe the humans in ordon chased out the kokiri because look at talos and malos ears they arent hylian but humans, and the forest temple in twilight princess might be the deku tree then in a link to the past they couldnt live any longer as the hylians we're moving closer to the lost woods, but in real life the to people near the lost woods cutting down the tree were like prototypes of the kokiri while in Twilight Princess maybe they couldn't put them in because the monkeys were there? I don't know that's what I think.

Mikepoke101

Just Chilling.
I think with the timeline being recently stressed out to the Nintendo company we may see the Kokiri again but I believe that only theory and your own personal assumptions will give you an idea why.

Ganondork

goo
they cannot live without a deku tree, so they aren't able to live in the child timeline. plus if I recall, in TP which is on the adult timeline, the mountains are where the kokiri forest was, so they all died from freezing or were killed.

Din Akera

Sniper
Twilight Princess is on the child timeline. Thought that should be cleared up. So Ganondork is partly right. My take on it would be either, because the Deku Tree died and the sprout is not/cannot be born until the sage of forest is released on the adult timeline, the Kokiri are unable to survive without a deity, which may be the source of their eternal life, or it may be as simple as he kept them all in order to live.

The other option I would suggest is that in TP we never did find the Kokiri forest and it may be that we simply didn't venture that deep into the wood in that game. Ordon is speculated to not be part of Hyrule, so we would not find them there. Faron province has woods as well but they are refereed to as Faron Woods. Now, we did find the Lost woods and the sacred forest meadow. Which is near Kokiri, but again, not quite there. I believe it very possible that we simply didn't make it that far.

As to AttP, I will agree with Erebea, I think the major reason we don't see them is that this game was made before OoT. I don't think it is necessarily a theory/timeline/history related issue.

One important thing is, the first and foremost reason why the Kokiri haven't appeared in any other games is because they were invented for Ocarina of Time. They were a part of its story, and particularly of Link's origin story. The only other game to have them (kind of) appear was The Wind Waker, which was a direct sequel to OoT, and had an evolved form of the Kokiri, the Koroks. The Deku Tree has the exact same story going on. While the Gorons and Zoras have appeared since OoT, that's mostly a matter of luck or popularity. The Kokiri and the Deku Tree just aren't as popular nor as relevant.

1. The Kokiri were designed in Ocarina of Time, which came after A Link to the Past in, you know, real life. A Link to the Past also doesn't have an official placement as far as the Adult and Child timeline go.

2. Twilight Princess is in the child timeline, where there is no trace of the Deku Tree, who is their guardian spirit.
Erebea here is completely right about #1. A Link to the Past just... isn't relevant to this discussion, really. He's also right about Twilight Princess' timeline placement, but I disagree with him about the Deku Tree here. The Deku Tree is dead on both timelines, but in the Adult Timeline the Deku Tree Sprout grew because the evil in the Forest Temple was purged.

In the Child Timeline, the Forest Temple was never purged... but oh wait, yeah, that's because it was never infested with evil in the first place. Ganondorf never became king on the Child Timeline. Even if he did seed his evil in the Forest Temple ahead of time (which is little more than an assumption), it's not likely it would have stayed there without any reason to be there.

Din suggested that the Sprout only came up when the Forest Sage was awakened, but this falls apart in two ways. 1., it wasn't Saria's awakening that freed him, it was fixing the Forest Temple:
Because you and Saria broke the curse on the Forest Temple, I can grow and flourish!
And 2., even if that aforementioned quote didn't exist, there still would be a Forest Sage. There was one in Twilight Princess, and it's likely the previous sages (they are mentioned in OoT) were still alive. It's implied the sages only lost their power (or died?) because of Ganondorf.

So no matter how you slice it, the Deku Tree Sprout would have grown on either timeline, except for some kind of crazy untold story that is pointless to throw into theories.

they cannot live without a deku tree, so they aren't able to live in the child timeline. plus if I recall, in TP which is on the adult timeline, the mountains are where the kokiri forest was, so they all died from freezing or were killed.
I really do not think one can use the maps of the Zelda games for any kind of theory. The games are designed individually, and while they keep areas from game to game, the world's layout is changed to be a new area in a new game. Otherwise it would get boring. This is irrefutable, because even the specific areas themselves which still bear the same name have completely unique layouts in each new game. The overworld isn't relevant. And besides, how would a mountain pop up in the middle of a forest?

The other option I would suggest is that in TP we never did find the Kokiri forest and it may be that we simply didn't venture that deep into the wood in that game. Ordon is speculated to not be part of Hyrule, so we would not find them there. Faron province has woods as well but they are refereed to as Faron Woods. Now, we did find the Lost woods and the sacred forest meadow. Which is near Kokiri, but again, not quite there. I believe it very possible that we simply didn't make it that far.
Exactly. There's no reason to assume that the overworld placement means anything, and it's likely we just never visited those areas. Furthermore, there's no reason to even vaguely assume that Faron Woods correspond to the Lost Woods in any way.

And Din, while some theorize that the Sacred Forest Meadow and Lost Woods appear in Twilight Princess under different names, that's still only speculation. Twilight Princess doesn't contain either. It has Faron Woods and the Sacred Grove, and neither possesses features of the Lost Woods besides the presence of the Master Sword, but even with that in mind, the Temple of Time's placement makes no sense, so either way you look at it, it can't mean anything because it's just a scrambled overworld.

I am actually kind of interested to see if Skyward Sword will mention this at all.

*SPOILER* The Deku Tree revealed the secret about Link being a Hylian and having his mom carry him to the Kokiri Forest before she died. Well, if Ocarina of Time is ALLEGEDLY the sequel to OOT, then shouldn't the game end with the war in Hyrule which caused his mom to run to the Deku Tree in the first place?:cry:

OK, there's one thing I don't understand. If the only reason they survived was because of the Deku Tree, why didn't they die out in the 7 years they had without a Deku Tree, or a sprout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom