• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern In Regards to Graphical Styles

• Thread starter Deleted member 14134
  • Start date

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am in love with Zelda U's style. I was really hoping for it to look bright and vivid like that, and I'm very happy that it does. The last thing I would have wanted was the tech demo graphics and art style. I didn't like them because they remind me too much of Twilight Princess's art style, which I don't like and have never liked. In my case, I don't blindly accept anything Nintendo throws at us; I have certain tastes. In this case, what Nintendo has shown us matched them. As it did with Skyward Sword and Wind Waker (though I wasn't a Zelda fan at the time when Wind Waker was released).

Fig

The Altruist
I personally enjoy the art style for Zelda U. I don't mind realistic graphics but it really is annoying to see fans time and time again that they dislike the game because it isn't realistic. Last time I checked, Zelda wasn't about being realistic but rather immersion. It also is very weird to hear fans say that you can only have dark, gritty themes with realistic art styles. Look at Majora's Mask, a game that is unrealistic in terms of graphics yet is arguably the darkest Zelda game to this date because of the atmosphere, the emotions within the game, and the theme surrounding it. Who's to say that just because we got vivid and beautiful colors in Zelda U, means the game won't be dark? Who knows, this game could take place in a war, maybe Link's friends and loved ones get killed in some way, and of course a psychological plot could be implemented in Zelda U. Only time will tell.

Overall I enjoy the new art style for Zelda U and I do hope we get to see more on a later date. I really want to see Link in his famous green tunic and hat. That would be great to see!

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think the new artstyle, though not the cinematic and more realistic game I hoped for, will be cool. It allows for great coloring and beautiful enviroments, while not immediately making everyone think its a kiddy game (at least we hope). I think cel-shading has great potential for allowing the colors of monsters, mountains, and fields, as opposed to oceans, to come to life for us. Aonuma will do great things with it.

Who else finds it ironic that WW, the most stylized game in the series and the one least dependent on graphical detail, was the one to get an HD remake?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
To be honest, I was really excited when I saw the Zelda demo at E3 2011. I knew that they were probably not going to choose that style for the next game, but it was interesting to see some of the Wii U's capabilities. I, for one, liked the graphic style of Twilight Princess, and hope they work with something like that in the future. Upon seeing the Zelda Wii U trailer this year, I immediately fell in love with the style. It reminded me of a highly detailed OoT Hyrule Field. As you can see, I'm kinda all over the board when it comes to graphics. :P To me, graphics don't necessarily make or break a game. Sure, they give the player an initial impression, but I have never judged a game based on that alone. I'm excited for this upcoming Zelda game, and though we don't know much about it yet, I think that graphic style this time suits it perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom