• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

In OoT when Can You Get the Ice Arrows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
There's a lot of posts about this, so I'm sure it has been said, but you can get them before the Water Temple. I'm 95% sure there are enough keys that are obtainable without the longshot, hover boots, and silver gauntlets to get you to the chest, you just can't go to the right when you get into the room with the ice arrows, otherwise you'll need every key.

Just note that it's difficult to get the ice arrows pre-water temple. I can only do it because I know where every key is, and beaten OoT like 12 or 13 times. Now that I think about it though, there's a chance you might not be able to get through a certain room without the longshot. I've never tried this before so I'm not sure.

OotLord1003

Young Link
You don't necessarily need Epona to cross the gap. You can use the longshot. I finished OoT without getting Epona (of course I skipped the Biggoron sword quest because there you need Epona) and at Gerudo I simply used the longshot to cross the Bridge. But this means you must have been at the water Temple first otherwise you won't get the Longshot.
Well why no get the long shot, use farores wind and then go get the ice arrows, then go back, get the boss key, and finish the dungeon?

L

LegendMaker

I'm gonna go ahead and say no. If you try to go to the gerudo's base before you finish the water temple, they don't throw you in jail, they kick you back out to where the carpenter boss is standing. So if you can't become a member of the gerudo, then you can't do the training grounds, and no ice arrow.

Didn't hitting water with the ice arrow just make a little iceberg thing? Like the ones you jump on to get to the cave where Jabu-Jabu used to be.

MW7

I always am able to complete the Gerudo Fortress once I get the bow. How did he get into the Fortress as Young Link? My computer can't display the video.:(

With glitches it's a cucco jump (search and i'm sure you'll find something on youtube). And I believe I read somewhere that the gerudo pass can be obtained as a child (only with using the cucco jump or other glitches though).

Without glitches it is only possible in the N64 version because the river of sand could be walked over at the edge with backwalking (unless you consider this a glitch also).
1. Warp to Spirit Temple
2. Walk through the Haunted Wasteland (must have the path memorized since the poe doesn't appear at that entrance to the Haunted Wastleland)
3. Cross the river of sand by backwalking across the sand on the edge on the side near the flying carpet salesman.
4. Since you warped to the Spirit Temple you probably already got the gerudo pass as adult link so you can walk around freely. I do not know if you are allowed to enter the training grounds by talking to the guard as child link (I would assume you are though). But with glitches virtually everything is possible so I would guess you could get in there anyway.

As for the topic, I'm 99% sure you can get it before entering the Water Temple, maybe even earlier.

As Caleb said you need 7 of the 9 keys. In this paragraph I'm using the names of the rooms given by the ZD walkthrough. The keys in the sandy stalfos room, dinalfos room, and room of locks require no dungeon items so that's 3 easy ones. The key in the lava room just requires the song of time and no items. You can collect all the silver rupees in the lava room without the longshot to open the water room. The water room just requires the iron boots (the longshot and zora tunic would make it much easier) to get the key. Go through the lava room to the flaming enemy room (the door is elevated so maybe you can't reach the hookshot target without the longshot, but you can hookshot the torch below it), and you need the megaton hammer to get the key. You need the megaton hammer and bow to go to the eye statue room from the flaming enemy room. The eye statue room just requires the bow for the key that appears in the platform in the center of the room. That's seven keys and enough for the ice arrows. I purposely went through this path because I think (very unsure) that you need the longshot to pass through the timed silver rupee room. Also I'm not sure if you can reach the second platform in eye statue room without the longshot to reach Pierre to get the key through the door there (but this would be the 8th key so it's extraneous for the purposes of my path).

So anyway, it's definitely possible to get the ice arrows with the bow, megaton hammer, and iron boots without the longshot. It might require even less than that though, I'm not sure.

Thread moved to Game Help.

I usually never get the Ice Arrows when I play through OoT, but as Bellum said, you need the Silver Gauntlets in order to complete the Training Grounds. And I seriously don't know if you can beat the Spirit Temple before the Water Temple.

Since you only need 7 of the 9 keys you don't need the Silver Gauntlets to get the ice arrows.

You can definitely finish the Spirit Temple before the Water Temple though without glitches. My explanation depends on your definition of a glitch and the version of the game you are talking about. In the N64 version you could backwalk across the river of sand so you could reach the Spirit Temple before entering any other adult dungeons (you just needed Epona to jump Gerudo Valley and I think the hookshot also to freeze guards in gerudo fortress). You do need to beat the Forest Temple in order to be able to go back in time to beat child Spirit for the Silver Gauntlets though (in a glitch free run).

You can also (in either game) complete up to the longshot in the Water Temple, leave, beat the Forest Temple, then beat the Spirit Temple. So technically you can beat the Spirit Temple before beating the Water Temple, but this way of doing it requires you to enter the Water Temple before doing the Spirit Temple so it kind of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Red Link

Sandwhich and Cereal
u find it in the gerudo Training grounds for more info watch Caleb Simpson's Ocarina of time walkthrough:)

MW7

Ok, so I tested it out in the OOT 3D version and it requires less than I originally thought. The Longshot is not required to reach anything in the entire Gerudo Training Grounds. This means that you can get through the timed silver rupee room with just the hookshot, and it's possible to get the key above the room of locks reached by going through the door on the top platform in eye statue room unlike I originally thought. The trick is that you think you are stuck in the center of the eye statue room once you get the key, but if you fall in the lava, you are warped up to the top and can get the other key through the door.

Note that everything that follows is without glitches.
I confirmed this myself:
2 keys require something to fight with (i.e. the sword)
1 key requires the Song of Time
1 key requires another key (the one in the room of locks)
2 keys require the bow
1 key requires the megaton hammer
1 key requires the iron boots
1 key requires the silver guantlets

So this means at a minimum you need:
1. bow and megaton hammer
2. bow and iron boots

The combination megaton hammer, iron boots, and iron gauntlets would require the bow without glitches because you must complete the Forest Temple before getting the iron gauntlets. So this would be the exact same as getting all the required items so I didn't include it in the minimum required list.

Also note that the Hover Boots are completely unnecessary. The one point at which you may say they're required is in the lava room. Usually falling in the lava would reset the room, but only if you haven't collected all the silver rupees. The only one that requires the longshot or hover boots to get is the one engulfed in flames. So you just need to get that one last then fall in the lava. Then the door to the water room is open.

Also I tested the theory that the Ice Arrows are useful against Morpha in the OOT 3D version, and they don't really do anything helpful at all. Shooting a tentacle just creates a ripple effect through it. Shooting the water very briefly creates a small useless piece of ice that disappears after a split second (it is just a visual effect that you can't jump on since it is gone so quickly). Shooting the weak spot doesn't do anything special either.

Last edited:
Yes it is possible. in order to do it you need the longshot or Epona. Then go to Gerudo Valley and do the Training Grounds. If you have anymore Q's feel free to ask:)

I

ironicguy58

well, you can get to the water temple, grab the longshot, go to the shadow temple and get the lens of truth, then run to the spirit temple and grab the silver guanlets, so... i think it's possible!

T

thefourthsword

I believe you just need epona to save the carpenters before you go into the temple but this is a guess

To be specific, you can get them anytime after the carpenters, to get to the spirit temple get Epona early on and jump the broken bridge so you don't have to do the Water Temple and viola!

I'm not sure if you can freeze Morpha, but you can freeze Bongo Bongo and activate a new animation using the ice arrows. Maybe you misheard? They are both bosses meant to be fought before you obtain the ice arrows.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
If you're talking about completing the dungeon, then you need to beat all of the dungeons before you do the GTG. If not, you can snag the longshot from the Water Temple, move onto the Shadow and Spirit Temple to snag the Hover Boots and Silver Gauntlets, and you can get the Lens of Truth at any time once you beat the Forest Temple, as Sheik won't let you return to a child until you beat the Forest Temple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom