• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

In High/junior High School, Were/are You Stuck in a Clique?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I was watching The Breakfast Club earlier tonight and I thought it would be interesting knowing the experiences others had in high school. I've never really been a part of a clique, I'm pretty much a loner for the most part. I have friends who I've know most of my life, but most of them have found their own groups to hang out with for the most part.

I've seen a lot of people over the years become almost defined by the group they hang around with or clique as it is known as, this has often been used against them and for them. This leads me to the topic of my thread:

Have you ever been stuck in a clique?

Have your friends ever been stuck in a clique?

Was it advantageous for you or your friends or did it hurt you or your friends?

Did you ever think about hanging out with another clique?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Have you ever been stuck in a clique?

Everyone in my high school was in a clique. It wasn't a choice... I hung out with all the other kids that hated that fact - and by doing so, we formed a clique with a hatred of cliques (ironic, no?). I was decent in track and football so I was afforded a bit of social mobility (popular girls actually talked to me by my senior year :O)

Have your friends ever been stuck in a clique?

We were all stuck together

Was it advantageous for you or your friends or did it hurt you or your friends?

It worked out, I guess. Force a bunch of like-minded people together, they tend to become friends. The ****** part about it all was how much the self-proclaimed popular kids picked on people they considered inferior - and were tacitly backed up by administration. Rich kids have rich parents, who have the dean of students on speed dial.

Could have we rebelled against the system? Sure. But why? I didn't care for those people anyway. Why would I fight for the right to socialize with people I generally disliked?

Did you ever think about hanging out with another clique?

I was allowed from time to time. At the very least, I became invisible (on the inside looking in, so to speak).

When I was in Junior High/High School, you had to be in a clique of some sort in Junior High or you'll be segregated out completely. For some reason when I joined sports, I was automatically in a group, the athletes/jocks group. I personally didn't want to be apart of it because I would get teased by them saying "oh so you're part of the goth/emo group?" and I said "no, they're my friends, and they happen to express themselves in anyway they want", and they just backed off completely. So when High School came along it was more subtle, everyone got along with everyone but there was still the groups and cliques, BUT, if you didn't do any sports, or some sort of band/orchestra or student body council thing going on then you will be invisible to the people around you. When I decided to stay in sports, in my High School years, I was friendly with everyone but I didn't really have any friends that I could say I talk to on a daily basis other than 2 people, but they both went to school in a different area so we never talk to each other.

Cliques weren't a big issue at my school since I was well known and everyone was nice, but some other students did have it more rough that I expected.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well I've gone to a private Christian school since Kindergarten, and my class has always been small. Elementary school was just whatever, we all talked and laughed. Junior High was when it really started sucking though. For a time, my class was the most cliquey class you could think of. There was literally a clique for every 2 people, in rare circumstances 3. I'm not kidding. I had this good friend that I had known since I was 3, and we always were kindof alone, honestly I was kinda the nerd kid in Junior High. I wore pants that were too short, I had super curly hair, glasses, I was freaking sheltered, I just... wasn't great :P Well when I say wasn't great I mean more my personality. I was offended by things way too easily, and it caused me to have spite towards many people and cliques in my class. 8th grade, the worst year of my life, which I could elaborate on more somewhere else, I really don't feel this is the place, changed me. Once I got into High School I started really worrying about the way people saw me. So I tried to dress "cool" just so I could be accepted. Be a part of the "cool kid clique". Nobody really disliked me, I just simply wasn't on their tier of "cool". 10th grade was just as bad. But this year... my 11th grade year... I don't know what has happened. But my entire class has united. We all get along, nobody ever gets mad at anybody for more than 10 minutes, I could even literally hang out with every single person in my class for hours on end. I love every single one of then so dearly. And on my part, I think it's because I stopped trying to find the wrong in people. Yeah everyone sucks in one way or another. But if we just rest on that, they're just gonna suck more. Life is what you make of it. And if we try to focus on the good in people, eventually, it's naturally all we'll see. Our class laughs so much, has so many good times and memories, and I would treasure nothing more than to just hold hands with everybody and say as one, "We are the Class of 2015." So... Cliques are now dead. But they were pretty bad before :P

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Kinda, sorta, maybe... I wouldn't call it a clique exactly. My friends and I are well known around our school for being the ones that are willing to practically do anything. We've been labeled as nonconformists and, on occasion, pure idiots! XD

Though, that was more earlier... Nowadays, I tend to spend more time by myself because my friends are all distractions. Believe it or not, despite the amount of time I spend on this website, I actually do spend the same amount of, if more time doing work of all different kinds. My friends just get in the way of that. Though, occasionally, we still do weird and crazy stuff, like ride textbooks down the stairs. :yes:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Nope I never have been. There were groups; the popular ones and the not so popular ones. I was stuck somewhere in the middle. I never was interested in cliques and never wanted to be a part of it

Violet Link

takumi was a mistake and so are the S supports
I really am not interested in being with a clique. Even if I'm actually in a clique.. they'll just gonna leave me alone a lot.

Well, I only have Iqa now, and we do really weird stuff together nowadays xD

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well high school/secondary school is full of cliques and it's hard not to be a part of one. In my first few months I got a decent group of friends on top of friends that I already knew before I started. So straight away I had a good group of friends. I wouldn't say we were the most popular, but certainly somewhere near that. However, what happened as time went on is that cliques started to join together, so I was suddenly hanging round with a lot of bad groups on top of my own circle of friends.

In the end, everyone who was somewhat popular were all acquainted with one another. I made a few bad choices when I was in school, but I didn't fall into that hole. Thing is, a lot of my friends did and most are low lives now; they're on drugs, and are basically doing nothing with their lives.

When I went to College (16-18) cliques were still apparent, but it was more a friendly environment as people were a lot more mature.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
In jr high I was the bullied kid, and in high school I was the outsider, so not really part of a clique, more like the one constantly denied access. The first year of high school I had just a bordering on outsider-role. I wasn't really part of anything, but I wasn't shunned, either. The rest of high school I was a proper outsider and the black sheep of the class...

Jiggly Jaws

Who is This Guy?
Throughout high school I would have to say I have been in a clique. I don't know if I should call it "freaks and geeks" or "Counter-Culture is still a Culture". It's weird to say the least, and a surprisingly diverse group.

Salem

SICK
No, I had a few friends that I hang out during lunch, sometimes after classes, but no not really.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I'm not part of any clique. the most part, I am a loner that wanders wherever he wants. In the morning, I stand by a tree surrounded by friends that could talk to me if they so chose to. I sit at the same place at lunch every single day, but no one else does the same. There are days I sit by myself and times some of my friends are around. My school also has a short break. Teachers sell snacks there raise some money for their respective grade levels. I sit by the office with the same people, but they might be buying food or in the bathroom.

#Introverted

Kind of. When I made the majority of my long-lasting friendships (which are arguably over now, but that's a different story), mostly during sixth and seventh grade, there weren't any reasons we became friends with one another outside of the fact that we got along well and shared a sense of humor and such. As time went on we found ourselves to all be in band, we were always the ones taking the advanced classes, we all played copious amounts of video games, we stayed close together, etc. I suppose, to people outside of our group of friends, we could've been viewed as some sort of clique; "Band Kids" or "Smart Kids/Nerds" or whatever. But these were all just coincidences. Maybe that still would've made us a clique, but I don't really know or care.

Fig

The Altruist
Throughout my junior high and high school careers, I have always had to face people who were part of specific "social" cliques that somehow gave them the right to judge others to make themselves feel/ook good about themselves. Honestly, I really don't see the point in trying to be part of a clique. In the end, no one is going to care if you were part of a social group, especially one that dissed, lashed, and ultimately disrespect fellow remembers in their society. It's not like being in a social group will give you the best life you could or make your like easier or successful. I personally don't believe I ever have been I'm a clique has it does have a negative connotation with it, but rather in communities. I say this because my band family will always be a huge portion in my life, taking up 7 years of my life. I've never thought that people with such different backgrounds and lifestyles could come together to create music for others to hear. Internet relationships are also a huge factor of my life too. It is truly amazing that I can never have known the person first-hand and be great friends with them. Hell I see you guys as family as it seems that I can open up with ease to you all rather han with IRL. So no, I have never been a part of a clique, but I have been a part of groups of friends who make me feel at home.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Nope, I was an outcast in school more or less, and as such was basically a lone wolf spare for the fact that I had a single best friend whom I'd often hang out with. In ether case, my association with solitude had followed me into high school as well, and as such I was still somewhat of a loner and never fell into a specific group or whatever. I was know as the Silent Assassin though, so perhaps I was just in a category that was unique to me alone, it was originally a title associated with my defensive skills in Gym Class but when others associated it with my rather unemotional and distant personality instead it actually caused some to fear me. It was fun though, some thought I was awesome while others thought I could very well be an actual cold blooded killer, heheheh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom