• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Impressions of the Game

Instead of having different threads like " here's my impressions and here's mine" I thought that it would be better to have one thread that everybody who has played the game can wright in and share each others oppinions and impressions of the game, if you think this is unecessary or if a thread like this has already been posted, feel free to close it.

Anyway, I got the game today and for all of you that has to wait until tomorrow or sunday and are worried if this game will be living up to theyre expectations or not can in my opinion rest easy, Im very happy to tell you that i am pleasantly suprised by this game and if you are a zelda fan i think you will love this game, i have just finished the forest temple and defeated the boss ghirahim, so i have only played for a few hours, but still this game has been amazing so far, though it has some minor flaws, but they are defenetly not anything that ruins the experience. Don't worry about spoilers because i won't write any.

first i would like to say that the first 30 to 45 minutes of the game is probably the best start for any zelda game ever. The character development is great and the game really makes you care about the characters even after just 30 minutes in, and the motive is very strong, i myself really want link to succeed and it keeps me playing the game, which makes me relate to link even more.

The controls for the sword are great, not perfect, but great. They take some time to get used to, bet when you've figured out how the game wants you to hold the remote it will be much better.But there are still times when you need to hold the wiimote still in a few seconds so it can re-calibrate. but it is very fun to just chop things, and you can slice ALOT in this game, there are plants, grass and trees everywhere for you to hit. all the items work perfectly so far and the bird flying is, once you got it down, very nice.

I was worried before that the game wasn't that large and with the 3 split underworlds and more dense areas i thought there would be less exploration than before, but i was wrong. For example Faron woods is much bigger than the videos show you(imo), and there are alot of stuff to collect and find. secrets are everywhere and the upgrade system makes collecting stuff more fun. When i was exploring faron woods a thought came to mind that " oh wait, there are 2 more of these underworlds and i haven't even seen half of this one, and there's a huge sky to explore too!" so so far im very pleased with the world design, which was a relief.

Im split on the graphics. sometimes it looks beautiful, and sometimes it looks pretty bad, but i dont really care, the artstyle fits with the game and its never anything that breaks the experience. Overall i am pleased with the graphics. The water looks really good though in my opinion, for wii that is, just something i wanted to point out.

the save point system is actually pretty good in my opinion, they are very frequent so you don't have to travel long distances to reach your destination, and the game will ask you after major events if you want to save your progress so i have no problem with that. And its better than saving anytime you want in some ways, for example when you were in a dungeon and saved in past games, when you then started again you were most of the time sent back to the entrance, however in this game if you save at a statue that is deeper in the dungen you will start there and won't have to go through the whole tempel again.

some minor flaws i have is that it can be a little frustrating to go back to skyloft everytime you want to buy something or upgrade something and to buy a potion you need to have a bottle( of course) but you won't get a bottle automatically like you do in twilight princess for example, and i think this is the hardest zelda game yet, iv'e only died once, but i have been close a few times. But this is a very minor flaw and it should not be considered as something gamebreaking.

those are the things that i want to point out right now, despite the very few and minor flaws this game shows great promise and it will be an absolute joy for all of you to play this weekend i think. It is different from other zeldas, but in a good way, i do not say that i want all zelda games to be like this, but this works great.

feel free to ask questions about anything you want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

glaceer

Your arm won't hurt when playing or after you've played the game, the only possibilities for it to hurt is if you've never lifted your arm before or you swing the wiimote like a maniac :)

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Thank you very much my good sir! I had the same exact worries and I am glad that they are put to rest! I can't wait to get the game on Sunday!

G

glaceer

SS is a great game, it's a great game in it's own kinda way just like all zeldas are. And there are so many great games out there so it's impossible to make a list haha... But it is definitaley one of the best games this year, just like skyrim and uncharted etc are :)

Kazumi

chagy
Well, I've been playing the game for almost a week now and I can assure you that the game is in fact very good. I'm not exactly sure what kind of worries people were having, but if it's about the motion controls, then don't fret. They work very well, and are incredibly fun to use. The combat is really enjoyable, and is difficult without being frustrating due to the controls. The new items are interesting and fun, and most all of the old items have some sort of new mechanic that make them feel new as well. The puzzles are also fresh and interesting, though not necessarily difficult. Some of them can be a little on the tricky side, but I have yet to come up against a particularly difficult puzzle.

In terms of the new stamina system, I really like it. I think it adds another layer of game play to the game, and really makes it more strategic than just swinging your sword around like a maniac. I hope that the stamina system is something that stays for future Zelda games, even if they aren't motion controlled. For some reason I doubt that will happen. The sprinting is also interesting, and is not only more useful for getting around than rolling, but is also used in many different puzzles and even boss fights. It's a fun, useful mechanic.

As was stated, while the world is split up it is still very fun to explore. There are many secrets in all of the different sections of the underworld, and in the sky. The game also forces you to do a lot of back tracking to old areas, yet finds ways to keep those areas interesting. It ends up working quite well. There are many collectibles in this game, including items. As you probably know, you store many items in your "Adventure Pouch". This is a system that I really like, and I hope that it's expanded on in future Zelda games. I love how you have to keep additional bomb bags, quivers, ect. in your pouch. It makes the game much more strategic than just "Oh I got an upgrade".

So far, the only thing I've been a little disappointed in is the story. I was hoping that since this was supposed to be the first game in the series, it would have a more interesting story. To me the story seems somewhat dry and boring. The characters are never really fully developed, and there is an almost complete lack of emotion. I think this has something to do with the lack of voice acting. Seeing characters lips move awkwardly and nothing come out is starting to get a bit old.

So anyway, the game is very good. I wouldn't let things like GameSpot's review sway your decision to purchase the game or not.

Nope you won't get tired playing it, however there was this one time when i was using the beetle and i flew around exploring without hitting anything and for some reason i held my arm really high up which then med me a bit tired in the arm, but it was nothing bad and i only laughed at it

It's very difficult for me to place the game in a top 10 list because i haven't played that much, but as I said it shows great promise so far and i love the beginning

It's friday and I do not have any homework so i'm going to play all night, can simply not be a better friday evening

HookShotFTW

Weapon of a Lifetime
some minor flaws i have is that it can be a little frustrating to go back to skyloft everytime you want to buy something or upgrade something and to buy a potion you need to have a bottle( of course) but you won't get a bottle automatically like you do in twilight princess for example, and i think this is the hardest zelda game yet, iv'e only died once, but i have been close a few times. But this is a very minor flaw and it should not be considered as something gamebreaking.
There are actually two bottles near the begining of the game. Also at the end os the first temple there are some fairies you can catch in your bottle. Also, where did you die? and Where did you get close? Personally I died twice at the First boss fight(Used potion on first pack of moblins...).

To be honest, I have no major complaints. Most things I found "wrong" with Skyward Sword are considerably minor and can easily be dismissed. It was indeed a great experience.

(lol) However, I am growing a little tired of reading the rants about Skyward Sword's main antagonist being a rip-off of Street Fighter's [Shin/Oni] Akuma. The resemblance is striking, yes; I will not disagree on that, but geez. What they both have in common is that their appearance is based on the legendary Oni of Japanese mythos. /end tangent

Selda

Mysteries of the Deep
My cousin got it :'(

She says:
Graphics:Good but could be better
Wii mote controls:Hard but workable
Enemies:Are challenging
And she's at the Earth temple!

iv'e found one bottle now and it was so easy to get that I facepalmed myself after i got it, I died when battling the spiders in the first dungeon but after you figured out how to kill them it was easy as pie.

working my way through lanayru mine facility atm. Confusing stuff

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I picked up my copy today! I have been playing it and am now into Faron Wood finding those Kiwkli's or however you spell it. In the beginning it is a bit weird with the controls but once you get used to it the fun begins :D I am a bit fanatic with swinging my sword hahahah!! Hmmm so far no main disappointments yet maybe the graphics a bit. Sometimes it looks cool and other times it looks a bit odd. But in general it looks like a good game to me and I can't wait to continue playing it. I can't believe I am actually playing it!!! One year ago we were asking ourselves when it would be released and now we are playing it!

N

nationofjoe

How do you guys feel about the Z-Targeting no longer allowing you to aim projectile weapons at a locked-on enemy? I must have shot 5 Deku nuts at a Keese with the sling-shot before I realized that Z-Targeting didn't make me aim at the enemy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom