• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Impression of X/Y Overworld Preview

So, the last pokemon game i played was Gold (having previously played red and yellow) until late last year I got Pokemon Black. I thought picking up a new pokemon game after so long would be a nightmare but I found that not much had changed at all aside from the volume of Pokemon within the game...

In fact the biggest feature for me in Black was Castelia City, a weird quasi-3D town on the world map that took me by surprise and thought it came off quite well on the DS itself.

However after seeing the announcement for Pokemon X/Y today and the quick clips of the overworld where the characters roam and travel through, I don't see it (thus far, i know early days) as too great a jump between Black and X/Y, it seems that a lot of attention has been put into the battles rather than the overworld presentation.

So what were your impressions of the quick glances of the overworld that we saw? Does it look too much like Castelia City in black or does it look like the evolution you really wanted when the 3DS is capable of the lush locations of OoT?

Not much has changed in the overworld department, all they've really done is took the overworld gameplay we know from past games and just turned them into full 3D. I quite like the fact they retained the overworld gameplay, but it would of made sense to use the Colosseum engine which everyone I'm assuming prefers. Still it's not much of a big deal anyway, I'm satisfied with what they have in store for us regardless.

Zleda

Toon Deity
It seems that they have only updated graphics, not the aged "one button-press, one step" thing. Personally I thought they would use the circle pad for the same kind of movement as in Colosseum, but alas. As for the graphics they look good but not as polished as they could.... IMO

Battles look gorgeous, but the overworld sprites seem a bit lacking. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it really looks fine.

The region also seems to be based off of Europe. (Well... from the little we saw...)

Austin

Austin
I also don't see why we can't have Colosseum/XD movement in this game. Additionally, some of the camera angles in the video were a bit weird (extremely far away from the player) so I'm hoping that's not going to be the norm. Other than that, I'm loving the new graphics. The battles brought Pokemon Stadium immediately to mind.

This is the first time I'm excited for a Pokémon game in years. As Vaati101 mentioned, there are aren't any alterations to the overworld sans the transition to 3D but that's enough to satiate me. Nintendo has brought all of its 2D behemoths successfully to the 3D stage with the first journey into the z-axis of each franchise especially standing out be it Ocarina of Time or Metroid Prime.

Zleda said:
As for the graphics they look good but not as polished as they could.... IMO

Never judge a 3DS game by seemingly choppy Youtube video filming. The handheld has a lot of power under its hood and I'm sure the Pokémon Company has dedicated itself to making the best product possible.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
ALIT said:
Never judge a 3DS game by seemingly choppy Youtube video filming. The handheld has a lot of power under its hood and I'm sure the Pokémon Company has dedicated itself to making the best product possible.

This is very true. I was worried at first, seeing how pixelated it looked, but I realize that the taking away for sprites is only the first step. Soon, I imagine, they will be working to make the graphics look much better.

However, I worry how this will work online. Higher graphics means higher ping (or in other words, lag). So, Nintendo will have to compensate between amazing graphical capabilities (for a handheld) and online gameplay speed. Hopefully the mixture is good, and they don't lose great graphics to the necessity for online gameplay speed.

But that all depends on the abilities of the 3DS. Can it handle both at the same time? Or does Nintendo need to heavily compensate in order to make online play smoother?

Deeds

no text
Yeah, handheld game previews always make the visuals look awful. Don't know why.
I remember seeing OoT 3D footage and people saying it looked worse then on the 64. When I actually got it, you can see how nice it really looks - hopefully this will also be the case with this new game. I've noticed from this preview, though, that the art style looks a lot like the Dragon Quest on DS. Dragon Quest IX I think? Not too sure. I was never really too keen on that art style, but it makes me neither disapointed nor happy.

I don't want to seem too negative so early on, but I'm disappointed with what we saw of the overworld. I thought some of the sprites seemed choppy and un-polished, some of the camera angles were a-bit wonky, and I am REALLY upset that we don't have Colosseum movement; instead we're stuck with the age-old mechanism of moving one pre-determined square at a time.

Just so this post doesn't seem too negative, I liked the designs of all three starters. At least Nintendo is getting their heads together in that department since I haven't been pleased with the Pokemon designs since Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom