• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Imperial or Stormcloak?

Imperial or Stormcloak?

• Total voters

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (My favorite game) has 2 different groups on opposite sides of the war: The Imperials, and the Stormcloaks.

Anyone who has heard any scraps about Skyrim lore know what positions both sides take, and I can't report on that given my very biased opinion. So...

Are you an Imperial, or a Stormcloak? Why?

I am an Imperial. I know that while they may have tried to cut off my head at the beginning of the game, it was an honest mistake, and they gladly apologized and gave me work in troubled times as a soldier. The Empire saved Skyrim selflessly from the Thalmor during the Great War, but could not win with steel, so we made a deal with the Thalmor that we ban Talos worship in exchange that they do not take Skyrim. Stormcloaks hate the Thalmor. So does the Empire, but we know that sometimes we need to let them win today so that we can win tomorrow. We are for all people, not just the Nords, and we have a leader that isn't self centered.

Quin

Disaster Master
Been a while since I touched skyrim but I think I really didn't care for both sides. I went for the empire just to get it done with.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
it was an honest mistake
It really wasn't. They captured you because you were nearby, that's all. Even when they became aware that you had no connection to Ulfric or his soldiers and they had absolutely no reason at all to execute you they still went ahead with it.

It's not: "Oh, sorry, we thought you were with the enemy." It's: "Who are you? Whatever, kill him as well."

The Empire saved Skyrim selflessly from the Thalmor during the Great War
The Empire did win the war... with an army of Nords from Skyrim. The Empire got its arse utterly torn open by the Thalmor, losing Cyrodiil and the the Imperial City for over a year. They were only able to take it back because the emperor fled to Skyrim and recruited local Nords to fight for him. Thousands of Nords died to reclaim the Imperial City, and their reward was the fundamental defilement of a cultural icon.

This wasn't "selflessly" saving Skyrim. Skyrim saved Skyrim in that war, it just did so under an Imperial banner.

That said...

The Stormcloaks are led by a man whose only interest is becoming the High King of Skyrim. For all his rhetoric, Ulfric's goal is to simply be the Big Chief, which he achieves through defeating his enemies and replacing them with sycophants. Every Jarl appointed by Ulfric is given the title simply because they have agreed to vote for him when he calls a moot, not because of their deeds or suitability to the position. The whole civil war is a power grab by a man too cowardly and unliked to take it legitimatley. This is best demonstrated by his killing of the previous High King, Torygg. Nord culture values honour in combat, but Ulfric's use of the Thu'um in their duel displays his lack of honour. Every eyewitness to the duel agrees that Ulfric killed Torygg with the Thu'um directly, but Ulfric says he used it to sudbue Torygg and then finished him with a sword. Ulfric is the only one with a reason to lie about this, and his hasty retreat from Solitude lends credence to his dishonourable actions and weight to the accusations of murder. Ulfric just wants power, and he goes against the values of his own people to get it.

In addition to fighting a devastating civil war for petty, personal reasons, Ulfric (and his supporters) are enormously prejudiced and xenophobic. Windhelm, the city Ulfric directly rules as Jarl, is the only city in all of Skyrim that actively bars Khajiit and Argonians from entering the city walls. The city's Dunmer population are restricted to a ghetto (with the racial moniker "Grey Quater" no less). Ulfric and his Stormcloaks openly and often talk about how "Skyrim belongs to the Nords" and how those who side with the Empire are not "true" Nords. His whole idealogical position is built on racism and national purity, which is as pragmatically short-sighted as it is morally bankrupt. He even despises the Reachmen, Bretons who, like Ulfric, rose up to reclaim their native homeland only to be put down by the sword. Ulfric's sword. I could go further with regard to how Tamriel itself is not a native home for any human races and Nords are, technically speaking, foreigners to the lands they claim as their own, but the point is made: Ulfric either despises or doesn't concern himself with anyone who isn't of the same racial or political type as himself.

These facts alone are enough to ensure that I won't side with the Stormcloaks and view those who would in a less-than-favourable light. The Empire is the better choice on every level, in my view. The Empire is a monarchical power structure with large amounts of of decentrealised authority. People from any race and background can occupy the highest official positions. With a few notable exceptions, religious freedom is almost universally guaranteed. The Empire has brought prosperity and, until the end of the Third Era, security to the continent. In the wider picture, the Empire is one of the only obstacles to the Thalmor achieving their ultimate goal (which is the destruction or subjugation of all humankind and a return to the Merethic Era, the "Era of Elves"). The only thing working against the Empire, in my view, is their ridiculous decision to execute you for literally no reason. If you can overlook that, then there's only one clear faction to side with. If you can't, side with no one as they're both a bunch of bastards.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
SKYRIM FOR THE NORDS. That being said i may have taken all my fellow cloakies armor and equips and then fed them poison...............

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The Imperials screwed up. Not only do they try to execute you for nothing, but they sold out Skyrim from under the Nords. I am a big believer in national sovereignty. Skyrim only became a province of the Empire in the first place because the Nords viewed whats-his-name Emperor (Talos, rite?) as a great and honorable hero and Nord society venerates capable noble leaders.

The "greater good" argument for the Empire banning Talos worship to appease the Thalmor is a weak one. The Imperials lost to the Thalmor, straight up. And they weaseled out of unconditional surrender by serving up Skyrim to the Thalmor on a platter. That is weak and cowardly. The Nords have every right to be pissed.

The Thalmor are the true enemy, but to the Stormcloaks the Thalmor aren't the immediate threat. The Imperials are responsible for their present situation. It's not even the Imperials in charge of the empire anymore. It's obvious the Thalmor pull the strings. So it can even be argued that the Imperials sold out all of Tamriel to the Thalmor. Tamriel is no longer worthy of an alliance with Skyrim. The Stormcloaks of Skyrim wish to go their own way, as is their right, Imperials and Thalmor be damned. Skyrim didn't have a say in the matter in the first place, why should they care what trouble their rebellion causes now? As far as the Stormcloaks are concerned, Skyrim already lost. Capitulating to the Thalmor is a recipe for disaster. The Nords know that you make friends of those who are worthy. You do not capitulate with an enemy. And surrender is never an option. The Nords know this so well their entire culture abides by this tradition. This is how you remain a strong people who are capable of defending themselves and remaining prosperous.

The Imperials have no redeeming qualities in the matter. They failed due to weakness and incompetence. The Stormcloaks of Skyrim are trying to defend themselves.

That having been said, Ulfric is a right bastard. The worst kind of leader. The Nords have no business venerating this little prick. It makes it difficult to side with the Stormcloaks when their leadership is as atrocious as the Imperials. But at least the Stormcloaks's ideals are worth fighting for.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The Imperials screwed up. Not only do they try to execute you for nothing, but they sold out Skyrim from under the Nords. I am a big believer in national sovereignty. Skyrim only became a province of the Empire in the first place because the Nords viewed whats-his-name Emperor (Talos, rite?) as a great and honorable hero and Nord society venerates capable noble leaders.

The "greater good" argument for the Empire banning Talos worship to appease the Thalmor is a weak one. The Imperials lost to the Thalmor, straight up. And they weaseled out of unconditional surrender by serving up Skyrim to the Thalmor on a platter. That is weak and cowardly. The Nords have every right to be pissed.

The Thalmor are the true enemy, but to the Stormcloaks the Thalmor aren't the immediate threat. The Imperials are responsible for their present situation. It's not even the Imperials in charge of the empire anymore. It's obvious the Thalmor pull the strings. So it can even be argued that the Imperials sold out all of Tamriel to the Thalmor. Tamriel is no longer worthy of an alliance with Skyrim. The Stormcloaks of Skyrim wish to go their own way, as is their right, Imperials and Thalmor be damned. Skyrim didn't have a say in the matter in the first place, why should they care what trouble their rebellion causes now? As far as the Stormcloaks are concerned, Skyrim already lost. Capitulating to the Thalmor is a recipe for disaster. The Nords know that you make friends of those who are worthy. You do not capitulate with an enemy. And surrender is never an option. The Nords know this so well their entire culture abides by this tradition. This is how you remain a strong people who are capable of defending themselves and remaining prosperous.

The Imperials have no redeeming qualities in the matter. They failed due to weakness and incompetence. The Stormcloaks of Skyrim are trying to defend themselves.

That having been said, Ulfric is a right bastard. The worst kind of leader. The Nords have no business venerating this little prick. It makes it difficult to side with the Stormcloaks when their leadership is as atrocious as the Imperials. But at least the Stormcloaks's ideals are worth fighting for.
Not enough for me.

It wasn't cowardly to su=ender to the Thalmor, it was tactical. They knew that people would still worship Talks. Hell, even the Imperials do. They surrended to stop the bloodshed and to regenerate until they could win back the freedom of Skyrim themselves. The Stormcloaks fighting the Empire is self destructive and literally the opposite of what is going to get the Thalmor to leave and free Skyrim. Have you ever noticed that almost no one enforces the law against Talks. It is because the Imperials are on the side of Skyrim too.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
200w.gif

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
**** Ulfric and his racist ethnostate ideology. He ends up being an unwitting pawn of the Thalmor because he's weakening his own country by being prideful and arrogant when keeping his head down and biding his time with the Empire could have helped with a surprise attack against the Thalmor and the Summerset Isles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom