• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I'm So Fed Up With...

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
All the people who are so mad that there isn't a left-handed option. Eiji Aonuma already explained why, yet there are still a ton of people complaining about it! The Wii remote isn't even designed to be held in the left hand, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there has never been a Wii game where the remote was required to be held in the left hand. Why are people still upset?

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
I don't know why people would want it, controlling Link with the nunchuk in your right hand seems pretty damn difficult.

HappyMaskSlsman

Smilus Creepus
(This is sent via 3DS, so please excuse any errors/shortness of post- I'll be at my comp soon enough.)
There are two potential reasons for these complaints, the second likely more common than the first. The less common, though more viable source of disappointment is from the community of left-handed gamers who will have to adapt (as is a reoccurring problem) to the right-hand oriented controls. This is a reasonable cause for distress. However, the majority of causes for such an outpouring is likely the reason you posted this topic- those who simply complain due to it not being the usual canon. This is likely magnified, as SS seems to be one of, if not the, earliest games in the not yet disclosed Zelda timeline. Either way, (and admit to grumbling as well) its a simple matter of old fans of the series missing an apparent Zelda staple. Still, what could Nintendo have done? Sacrifice motion control for a simple detail? Yes, it may seem a trivial matter, but can we really be blamed? It's along the same lines of us, myself included, who don't consider TP fof the Wii as the official canon, due to the mirrored graphics.You may finnd that the complaints will ease as the game comes nearer to launch. Either way, as long as long-time Zelda fans exist, so will such complaints. Just my two Rupees.

Yeah I can see how it would be more awkward for a lefty to swing a remote as opposed to pressing buttons with their off hand...but I bet they will get the hang of it after awhile.

This is completely different but I've always been amazed that right handed players have learned to be so precise with their left hand on the analog stick

Nicole

luke is my wife
Lol. I want to have all the righties go play a fast-paced Wii game with the Wiimote in your left hand, nunchuk in your right. It is by no means easy. Your fingers will fumble for all the wrong buttons, and it will get increasing frustrating as the game progresses. Trust me, I've tried it.

I'm ambidextrous, you could say. I write with my right hand, but do most athletic things with my left hand, like throwing. When I play the Wii, I play with the Wiimote in my right hand and the nunchuk in my left hand. This does not by any means stem from my handedness, but rather, how accustomed I am to having the analog stick on the left side and all the buttons on the right side, from the Gamecube era. Even Gameboys had the control pad on the left, and the buttons on the right. So do 3DS's.

Honestly, it would be pretty awkward for me to hold the Wiimote in my left hand, despite left generally being my dominant side. However, I don't know how many lefties actually do hold the Wiimote with their left hands. I imagine the general consensus of lefties is that it is too awkward or difficult to hold the Wiimote in their opposite hand.

Aelic7 said:
All the people who are so mad that there isn't a left-handed option. Eiji Aonuma already explained why, yet there are still a ton of people complaining about it! The Wii remote isn't even designed to be held in the left hand, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there has never been a Wii game where the remote was required to be held in the left hand. Why are people still upset?

Well, actually, I had never heard the the Wiimote is designed specifically for the right hand. It seems pretty balanced that you could possibly use it in your left as well.

Aelic7 said:
but there has never been a Wii game where the remote was required to be held in the left hand.

Well... Now there is a Wii game that is required for the remote to be held in the right hand. You can see how that could upset people who are not naturally right-handed.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Well, actually, I had never heard the the Wiimote is designed specifically for the right hand. It seems pretty balanced that you could possibly use it in your left as well.

It's not. This is some kind of misconception going around. Though I can't provide you first-hand confirmation from having played SS myself, there should not be any difficulties with wielding the wiimote in your left hand, and the nunchuck in your right. For some reason, a lot of people have been overlooking this idea. There may not be a lefty option, but this seems to address the problem so easily that it actually makes it seem that to include a lefty option would be rather unnecessary.

Last edited:
L

Link x Malon

I am handicapped - I had a brain hemorrhage in 1990, that paralyzed my right hand, but luckily enough, I have always been a lefty. I bought Twilight Princess or whatever the game is for the Wii, without looking at the controllers on the game box. I had thought it was just the controller you can turn sideways to play with. I hate being wrong. I opened up the package but it was too late. I had to return it and get my cash back. I use my lips on the A+B buttons, in case you're wondering. developed that after I hemorrhaged... wanted to play the NES really bad, so I just did it like that and it has worked ever since.

wait - what was my point...? oh yeah! you can do anything you set your mind to.... although gettin' my hand back would seem to be a nil deal...

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
I am handicapped - I had a brain hemorrhage in 1990, that paralyzed my right hand, but luckily enough, I have always been a lefty. I bought Twilight Princess or whatever the game is for the Wii, without looking at the controllers on the game box. I had thought it was just the controller you can turn sideways to play with. I hate being wrong. I opened up the package but it was too late. I had to return it and get my cash back. I use my lips on the A+B buttons, in case you're wondering. developed that after I hemorrhaged... wanted to play the NES really bad, so I just did it like that and it has worked ever since.

wait - what was my point...? oh yeah! you can do anything you set your mind to.... although gettin' my hand back would seem to be a nil deal...

Im very sorry to hear that :( Im sure you'll find other ways to play Zelda :)

Okay i've played the wii with both hands....No problem at all. Im sure leftys can adapt. As for the ppl who complain about the canon of Link being right handed or left handed: WHO CARES. It's the smallest thing ever in a zelda game. Link is still Link right? There hasnt been anyone to replace him in spinoffs right? So just let it be. Fans will love Zelda no matter what!

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Even though I'm right-handed, I do feel that left-handed people have adapted to the difficulties of playing with their wii-mote in their right hand instead of their dominant hand because well, I haven't seen a wii game with a left-handed feature. Although it would be much easier for them to use their left-hand, Skyward Sword's development would probably be set back and won't be released until 2012 if Nintendo gives Skyward Sword a left-handed feature because you would have to change the graphics and gameplay in order for a left-handed user to have their left hand with the sword 'n' stuff. And we don't want Skyward Sword to be out later, do we?:P

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
Sorry if I offended anyone, but I'm not saying that all lefties are inconsiderate and rude. I'm only talking about the ones that say "this game sucks!" or refuse to play it just because there's no left-handed option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom