• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I'm Looking Into Handheld Gaming. Help, Anyone?

I'm looking into either a 3DS or DSi

What's the difference between the DSi and DSlite?

My favorite genres are Action/Adventure and RPG

Is the 3DS backwards compatibility for DS games seamless, or does it run in bad resolution?

Tell me about your experiences with handheld gaming

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
DSi is a much more advanced version of the DS Lite, that's basically the most notable difference. The DSi is much larger, including not only a camera, but correct me if I'm wrong; several other apps as well. The 3DS took off that idea and expanded it, and it did so very well. Out of either the DSi or the 3DS, I personally prefer the 3DS. It was worth every cent. Two games that I recommend for you are Ocarina of Time 3D and Kid Icarus Uprising.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
In concurrence with Atticus, I recommend getting the 3DS. It's backwards-compatible with DS games and plays them in (an upscaled) higher resolution, has a better eShop, and has much more advanced games.

There are lots of games worthy of being purchased for the 3DS -- Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D, etc. -- but two must-have games for it are Resident Evil: Revelations and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The 3DS is in every way superior to the DSi, as the 3DS is fully backwards compatible with all DS software and it even plays some DSiWare as I recall. Which do you prefer, a cheaper console with a smaller library (only DS games) or an expensive console with a bigger library (DS+3DS games)? It's up to you and what your budget can allow. :)

For GAMING, there really aren't many options at the moment. The best games I can recommend to you on the 3DS are Kid Icarus Uprising and Resident Evil Revelations. For DS, I recommend New Super Mario Bros and Kingdom Hearts Re:coded. Sorry I couldn't help you better :(

One thing that's important is the respective battery life of each system.
I think I'm leaning towards the DSi or the 3DSXL

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Well if you're thinking battery life then I think the 3DS XL is a better way TI go. It's just not quite as pocket sized. I personally love the 3Ds and am glad I bought mine almost immediately.

P

Pinzon23

The dsi is a console with better resolution than ds lite, it will have the same games as the ds lite while the 3ds will have better rpg games and others like zelda:eek:carina of time and other awesome titles.I think it would be better to get the nintendo 3ds .

The 3DS is the way to go if you're looking into entering the handheld market. As Atticus mentioned, the DSi is an enhanced DS Lite featuring a camera and several built in applications including sound editing software and the DSiShop. On the downside, however, the upgrade removes the ability to play Gameboy Advance games. The 3DS, on the other hand, is a brand new system, the first of the eighth generation machines. The system's primary gimmick is obviously the glasses free stereoscopic 3D but it's also built in with loads of other quirks including a gyroscope and accelerometer. A bigger version of the system is available, known as the 3DS XL. All DS games are backwards compatible although they only take up a portion of the top screen seeing as how the 3DS's 3D screen is larger than its touch screen, a disproportion not present in the original DS models.

What software is worth purchasing? Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Star Fox 64 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus Uprising, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 are all worth checking out. Some upcoming games include Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, and Animal Crossing: Jump Out!

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Get the 3DS. It's more than worth the price. Heck, it was more than worth the price before the big price drop.

Also, they don't make many games for the DS anymore... Nintendo's focus has shifted to the 3DS, so you won't see any more first party titles on the DSi.

I have a 3DS, and I can tell you, it was worth every penny. But now that the 3DS XL is out, you should just go ahead and get that. Like many others have said, the 3DS and 3DS XL are vastly superior to the older DS models. With backwards compatability, you can still play your normal DS games with somewhat better resolution.

I still have a DS Lite, but that's only to play GBA games on since I no longer have a GBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom