• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Im Against a Majora's Mask Port for the 3DS...

If you were playing the GameCube version, then I guess you got lucky. If you were playing any other version, then you're fine since they haven't been known to crash.

The GameCube version crashed on me right after beating Snowhead Temple. It showed the cutscene with everything thawing out, and right when it was supposed to return control to me, it only showed a black screen and I had to reset. Due to the game's save system, the only real way you could protect yourself against crashes was to owl save frequently, then copy the save before you started playing again so that if your game crashed, you wouldn't lose any of your progress from before the owl save.

It's weird, because ever since Axel make that video about why not, there's been a bunch of people who wouldn't want one either. Axel made some great points in that video, but I have to say, it didn't sway me one bit, I'm still all for it.

I think you may be misunderstanding. Axel is against remakes, but supports ports. This thread is against ports. As for whether it's for or against remakes is down to the individual.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Ima against remakes, but not ports. Hey, I'm like Axle!

(This post is short because I have nothing else to say.)

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I'm a fan of both, in all honesty.

First of all, ports allowed me to play LoZ, AoL, ALttP, OoT, and my favorite Zelda game, MM right at home, whereas I couldn't play them because I had no N64, NES, or Super NES. That being said, I'm a fan of ports simply because they allow people to play the original game with no edits.

I also support remakes, because for the sad, sad people that only play games with "good" graphics, then they'll be able to play classics that have been remastered in newer graphics, and minimal to few edits or fixes. Hopefully, they'd even find a way to get the originals and play those.

So, as I said, I'm for both. I'm still loving all the various ports of classic games, not just Zelda games. Ice Climbers, for example, I never would've played unless I got the port as part of the AP. But now... Well... Don't even get me started. But remember that ports and remakes probably got several people into classic games that now rank high on their favorites.

I don't see any problems with either except for possible bugs or crashes, which I've never actually experienced. I see where you're coming from, but I'm a bit annoyed that you based your opinion partially on crashes and bugs. Crashes and bugs, from what I know, can rarely be fixed. And seeing as I never experienced any, they're totally random, and therefor I think shouldn't be considered as a point.

All in all, there's more gain than loss (if any) for me.

I don't see any problems with either except for possible bugs or crashes, which I've never actually experienced. I see where you're coming from, but I'm a bit annoyed that you based your opinion partially on crashes and bugs. Crashes and bugs, from what I know, can rarely be fixed. And seeing as I never experienced any, they're totally random, and therefor I think shouldn't be considered as a point.

Firstly, crashes and bugs was just a point. It's not even considered a opinion but fact. and secondly that's a bit of an unfair statement to say bugs should'nt be a point just because you haven't witnessed them. The Majora's Mask port for the Gamecube had a major bug that froze the game, and devistated those who took advantage of the save system. I and hopefully many other people would like to play Majora's mask without that bug, and Ocarina of time 3D proves that such bug can be fixed. This may not be a major reason, but it's still considered a point.

Crashes and bugs, from what I know, can rarely be fixed.

I'm going to assume you don't know much about programming, then, because they sure can be fixed. Once you find a problem, you figure out what causes that problem to the point where it can be repeated. Once you can repeat the problem, you step through the source code to figure out what changes are causing the problem and what part of the code is causing it. Then you rewrite the code so it still does what you want it to do without doing the stuff you don't want it to do. That's the entire point of the game testers/debug team/quality assurance departments, only they're supposed to find those problems before the game is released. Sometimes they miss some really obscure stuff (or just don't do a very good job - I'm looking at you, Over the Road Racing, and you too, Sonic 2006) and the players end up finding them. With games that you install, like PC games, or games on systems with hard drives, they can release a patch to fix those problems. With cartridge based games, it's a lot less likely that they'll be fixed unless there's a reprint of the game, such as the Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects/Greatest Hits releases, or if there's a game breaking bug that the developers feel kind enough to fix and replace the faulty game, like what happened with Bubble Bobble Revolution.

Ocarina of Time is actually a great example. In the very first version of the game (1.0) there was a bug where you could use the hover boots to float on the water at the fishing pond, then cast your rod, and when the boots wore off and you sank, you'd regain control of Link while still keeping the rod out. Since this isn't supposed to happen, the game behaves strangely, like letting you go outside with the rod which normally shouldn't happen. They figured this out and fixed it in the next version, 1.1. They missed the infinite skulltula glitch, though, where you throw the boomerang at the token, then step into the light to leave the cavern after the boomerang catches the token but before it returns to Link. However, they fixed that one in Ocarina of Time 3D. And that's just the easy to perform stuff, not the crazy stuff that requires frame-specific timing like the superslide techniques.

It's true that no software is perfect, but when a problem is known it can be fixed and the software can be made better. Perhaps not in something like the Virtual Console titles where they simply emulate the original game, but if they rewrite the code for a remake or port, they totally have both the opportunity and the ability to fix problems.

I'm a fan of both, in all honesty.

First of all, ports allowed me to play LoZ, AoL, ALttP, OoT, and my favorite Zelda game, MM right at home, whereas I couldn't play them because I had no N64, NES, or Super NES. That being said, I'm a fan of ports simply because they allow people to play the original game with no edits.

I also support remakes, because for the sad, sad people that only play games with "good" graphics, then they'll be able to play classics that have been remastered in newer graphics, and minimal to few edits or fixes. Hopefully, they'd even find a way to get the originals and play those.

So, as I said, I'm for both. I'm still loving all the various ports of classic games, not just Zelda games. Ice Climbers, for example, I never would've played unless I got the port as part of the AP. But now... Well... Don't even get me started. But remember that ports and remakes probably got several people into classic games that now rank high on their favorites.

All in all, there's more gain than loss (if any) for me.

I'm not against ports at all, I love ports, I'm just not interested in a direct port of Majora's Mask to the 3DS. I feel the controls would be hard to match up, they'd probably have to redo them, the glitches could be fixed in a remake, and I'd like it to use the 3D because I think that game would work well with that feature. They'd have to go through so much to make a port that worked on the 3DS and used the 3D that, in the case of Majora's Mask because it uses the same graphics and engine as Ocarina of Time, they might as well remake it. And if they use the second swivel pad for the controls of a Majora's Mask port, to make them match up with the Game Cube port, it would cost more than I'm willing to pay for a direct port, because I'd have to buy that... thing. And then I'd have to take my Ocarina of Time case off if I wanted to play Majora's Mask, and that means hauling all that around with me everywhere if I want to play it on the go. And it would still be using a stick essentially to play the ocarina :hmm:

So, it's not that I don't like ports, I just don't feel like a port is a good idea in this case.

H

heylisten88

Hi I am...well what you could call a kid and I got into LoZ by Ocarina of time (N64 not 3ds). I Bought a n64 off ebay because my friend told me to check out oot.
After oot I played Ladx (Completed :D) and the graphics for both of these games were not as good as... you know xbox, Ps3 and all that HD stuff. When I got a 3ds I replayed oot and mquest and liked the much fresher cleaner graphics. For a while now I have wanted to MM But I'm not sure about the expansion pak and all that but the not so good graphics did not annoy me.
My point is that younger audiences will still enjoy MM even if it is re-released.

The notion of Home games should never be on handhelds is just silly... When I plug in some headphones and play Ocarina on the 3DS I am pretty absorbed into the game I do not even think about the screen being small.... and the sound with headphones on is pretty amazing.

Besides when I am on the couch playing a game at home its not like from that perspective my tv screen seems that much bigger you would have to play about a food away to make it so you can not see anything else other than the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom