• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Im Against a Majora's Mask Port for the 3DS...

Hi there guys!

I've recently watched the follow up video about Axle the beast against Operation Moonfall. Don't get me wrong, I respect his opinions for against Majora's Mask 3D, However there is one thing he said about it which really needs to go into more detail, and that is to re-release Majora's Mask on the 3DS. I just want to take this time explaining why it's not a really good idea.

First thing on my mind is Majora's Mask on the Virtual Console. Axle strongly believes that there will be a Virtual Console release for Majora's Mask on both the Wii-U and the 3DS. The Wii-U...mabye, but the 3DS, absolutely not! The 3DS Virtual Console is dedicated to previous handheld games from the Game Boy, Game boy Color and Game Boy Advance consoles, Nintendo confirmed that. Putting a home console game on the 3DS Virtual console would'nt work since it's not a handheld game.
Also, Nintendo never put a handheld game on the Wii Virtual console, so why should they put a home console game on the 3DS virtual console?

Next is the sense of a re-release. remake Ocarina of time, port Majora's mask. To me that doesn't make sense because what was the point in remaking Ocarina of time if you just gonna port it's sequal? My opinion, Make Majora's Mask 3D or don't bother.

Another reason for against a Majora's Mask port is because there are known bugs that crash the game in both the gamecube and Wii ports. Because of these bugs, I had to redo Great bay and Ikana Canyon. this alone proves that there are problems with ports. now with a remake, you are able to fix these bugs. Ocarina of time 3D never had any bugs that crashed the game apart from the black room glitch which can easily be avoided.With a remake, you hardly get any bugs, whereas a port there is bound be a major one that crashes the game.

Nintendo is asking us whether or not we want a remake, not a port. If it comes to the conclusion that more people don't want Majora's Mask 3D (which i hope wont be the case) then it won't be made.On that note, Nintendo won't consider a re-release.

Finally, we have the Younger Generation. There are kids out there who have bought their 3DS;
kids out there who have played Ocarina of Time 3D and have just gotten into the Legend of Zelda. Ocarina of time ended with a cliffhanger, and this cliffhanger was reveiled in Majora's Mask. Now these days, kids are brought up playing high graphical games. When they are informed that Ocarina of time has a sequal, they would be expecting Nintendo to make Majora's Mask 3D, to them Majora's Mask is new.So if Nintendo decide to release Majora's Mask as a port, then those kids would be very upset that Majora's Mask didn't have the same qualities as Ocarina of time 3D and won't play it, or worse decide to not like the legend of Zelda at all.With this in mind, Nintendo has a dilemma: Re-release Majora's mask and lose a younger audience, or Remake Majora's Mask and gain a younger audience.

And these are my strongest points against a Majora's Mask Port. Now before you counterattack by talking about the NES Titles coming in september, I'll Just explain about that. Ok yeah, they're home console games, but will they be in the Virtual Console section? Due to recent discoveries, yes suprisingly. having said that, I think Nintendo won't be making anymore NES titles after the ambassador program.Those NES titles will be on the E-Shop Because of the ambassador program, other than that, i don't see why they should port more home console games on the 3DS Virtual Console.

And that's wraps up my thoughts on a Majora's Mask Port. I would like to Know your thoughts about it, but please be respectful and don't flame. This is mearely my thoughts.

(Just to point out, in general I don't have a problem with ports and
re-releases, i'm just have a problem with a Majora's Mask port for the 3DS.)

Last edited:
From http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...menu=about&submenu=ctr-gi-amb-available-games

Ten of the 20 downloadable games eligible for free download by Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors have been announced so far. There will be a total of 10 NES Virtual Console games and 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games.
(emphasis added)

They're not remastered in 3D. The only 3DS-specific feature I'm aware of is wireless multiplayer, and that's only for games that already had simultaneous play.

That aside, I agree that a simple port wouldn't be the best way to handle Majora's Mask on 3DS. Take the N64 Virtual Console on Wii. Technically you have enough inputs with the GameCube and Classic Controllers, but it's not the controller the game was designed for, and it's not as intuitive or comfortable to use. Y and X are C Left and Right, but the button above them is C Down? You have to tilt a stick to simulate pushing a button? Sure, it works, but it would be much better if the game was modified to match the controller. Same issue on the 3DS. Do they use Y and B on the 3DS for B and A to keep the positioning the same, or do they use B and A for B and A to keep the letters the same? X and Y (or X and A depending on which they choose) cover two C buttons, which leaves the other two mapped to the touch screen and throws off the cross shape of the C buttons. The D-pad has the cross shape, but it's on the same side as the circle pad.

I thought OoT3D handled the changed controls perfectly, and it simply doesn't feel as good going back to the Virtual Console version. Not to mention the other conveniences and enhancements, like having a map always visible, having an extra item slot available, having key items like the Ocarina instantly accessible, the smoother frame rate, etc. that wouldn't be available with a simple port.

Yeah, Majora's Mask has never really had much fun being ported. Somehow even the more advanced game systems can't handle the awesomeness that is Majora's Mask :P

The Game Cube Collector's Disk is an absolute nightmare with it's crashing, and isn't the 3DS supposed to have similar ability to the Game Cube? So I'm thinking that porting it to a system of that level again is not such a good idea, because it could have the same problems. A remake wouldn't, because they could fix that in the remaking process, it's not that Majora's Mask is too advanced for the Game Cube, it's just that Majora's Mask doesn't seem to like being ported.

The Virtual Console Majora's Mask on the Wii has not crashed for me, but I notice sound glitches and lag. I believe all versions of the game have those, including the original N64 game. This is a very solid, technical reason for it to be remade.

The controls are also a big issue in porting it, the 3DS is not designed to fit with the N64 controller that Majora's Mask was made for. On the Game Cube and classic controllers the c-buttons are the c-stick, but this is not there on the 3DS, so would the direction pad be the c-buttons? But if the 3DS's L is Z, then what will the original L be? It's usually the direction pad on the ports. Would it be X or Y and take away from them doubling as an item button? Would they just remove L? But I like L, I use it to get the map off the screen so I can see a little better.

Which is another point, on the 3DS with that small screen, how will you see anything past the junk that adorns Majora's Mask's screen? It's already hard to see where your going at times, this would only be worse. Plus, the 3DS joystick (which isn't really a joystick, but I'm asleep here so forgive me), while much smoother than past systems, is not suited for MM's shooting galleries. It would either move too slow or be very hard to control, that's why the gyro aiming works so nicely in Ocarina of Time 3D.

And to put Majora's Mask on the 3DS and not make it 3D would be depressing, as I think I said in my other post about reasons for a remake (I think talk about MM3D way too much, sorry if you're sick of hearing me) Goron rolling in 3D! Majora's Mask has very interesting and dynamic visuals that would look awesome in 3D.

Majoras mask

Creepy purple guy!
i think nintendo should concentrate on making new games rather than ports. also with Oot 3D in a way that was just to show off the capability of the 3ds and that doesn't need to pe re-proven. also Oot is simply more popular than majora's mask so it had a better chance of selling loads. and to quote 'MahBoiLink' "The Game Cube Collector's Disk is an absolute nightmare with it's crashing, and isn't the 3DS supposed to have similar ability to the Game Cube?" which wasn't a problem for oot on the gamecube (with wind waker) and i have both that and the collectors edition.

I dont know if i can say this here but i am going to say it anyway.
Not only do the collectors edition crashes the project64 emulator has the same problem.

I dont know if i can say this here but i am going to say it anyway.
Not only do the collectors edition crashes the project64 emulator has the same problem.

Mabye it wasn't a good idea to bring up Project64. However, your point is still valid, and proves that there are problems with ports.

C

chicken storm

I really don't care whether or not MM is re-released. I don't care if they port or do nothing at all to it. It don't have anything against MM. but like Axle said, everyone's time could be better spent playing a new game. But I want to play MM so bad...

This topic isn't about wheither Nintendo should spend time making a new game, this topic is about why Nintendo should'nt Port Majora's Mask for the 3DS.

Majoras mask

Creepy purple guy!
they've made so many remakes and re-releases for 3ds though: MGS snake eater, (Oot obviously), kid icarus , starfox 64.... i mean just give it a rest! and besides i love the graphics of majora's mask and don't want them to change =) although i'd love to see the final boss and a goron roll in 3D! :)

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
Ok, I am only opposing a port of MM right now because OoT recently came out and Star Fox is out on the 9th...I would wait till after to start porting the game. That way you give the other games a fair chance to have good sales before swamping gamers with another 3DS game. Sure, it would be a drawing card, but it can wait.

JerônimoLink

New Hyrule's Engineer
they've made so many remakes and re-releases for 3ds though: MGS snake eater, (Oot obviously), kid icarus , starfox 64.... i mean just give it a rest! and besides i love the graphics of majora's mask and don't want them to change =) although i'd love to see the final boss and a goron roll in 3D! :)
Actually, Kid ICarus Uprising is a new game.

I think that the game would look great in 3d, the goron rolling, the four giants, majora's mask, link putting a transformation mask and screaming, etc.

Zleda

Toon Deity
I would love to have Majora's Mask on the 3DS! I don't get why people are against it, why wouldn't you want one of the best Zelda games on a new port with new graphics? It's not like it gets any worse when it's in 3D... I do think it's important to preserve a classic, but I dont really consider MM to be classic. LoZ and LttP are classic in MY opinion. idk. i just like 3D games i guess :)

I don't get why people are against it

Me Neither. I don't get why they bother half the time anyway cause there not doing anything to prevent Majora's Mask 3D. Suppose they don't hate the idea that much to try and stop it and that it's their personal opinion.

I partly agree to what your saying. I think Majora's Mask Should be the last Remake for the 3DS. After that, work on original titles.

Zleda

Toon Deity
I think Majora's Mask Should be the last Remake for the 3DS. After that, work on original titles.

EXACTLY. I can't think of another game I would want re-made honestly.. Except maybe... WAIT. WHERE IS SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 3D?!?!?!?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom