• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild If Zelda Wii U doesn't meet expectations...

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
If the game is bad... I will worry for Nintendo. They NEED this next Zelda game to be good.

Personally, I will buy it, complete my first playthrough in blind gamer bliss, then attempt to replay it a few weeks later and notice all the things that I suddenly hate about it. Then I won't replay it anymore.

octorok74

TETTAC
It won't meet expectations, but as then what game does? As long as the game is good Nintendo will be okay and their fanbase will be a bit disappointed but fine and happy they have a new Zelda game.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It probably won't meet many of your expectations. Purely because you're older and playing Twilight Princess when you're 16 (and easily impressioned) won't the be same as playing Zelda Wii U when you're 25 and have a lot more going on in life.
Not true at all. I was waaaay older then most of you when I first got into zelda but I love it and enjoy it probably as much as a teenager would who just discovered the games. Age is not a reason to enjoy a game less. It does depend on the game though but because it's zelda I will play it witout any doubt and I'm sure I will have a good time with it. I had a huge lot going on in my life (responsibilities and stuff) but I do enjoy playing the game and have no expectations at all other than just wait and see.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Expectations are a tricky thing even when reasonable. When they said Skyward Sword would have more dungeon-like levels, I just took that to mean content would be more concentrated and tightly designed as opposite to how overworlds usually are. Turns out outdoor maps also felt more enclosed than they ever had before, which didn't sit too well with me. More or less the opposite happened with Link Between Worlds, where I thought not having weapons in-dungeon would mean the only optional chests to find would be those dumb pointless rupee chests they like so much. This time, it turned out a fair amount of them actually had more useful things like ore, which made the optional chests in ALBW some of the most satisfying things I can remember having in a Zelda game in years.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I think that, ultimately, every game will end up disappointing someone. Every Zelda game I have played to date has had some flaws that I have seen, either on the first, or more likely on subsequent play troughs. In Twilight Princess, it was the long and tedious start. I encountered the same problem with Skyward Sword, plus there was too much hand holding for me to enjoy playing through the game again as much as I had the first time. When I played A Link Between Worlds, I didn't have any problems with the intro, it was quick and got the player into the action immediately, but once I got into the game, I found no real difficulty curve, and the lack of story between the chunks of dungeons was really disappointing.

I am getting older, as is everyone, and I find that with age I get less hyped about games, and I find more flaws, and those flaws I find annoy me more than they used to... but does that mean that I won't enjoy the game, no. Nothing is prefect, and I expect this game to meet the standard I have for this series, which include flaws. Expecting a perfect game is almost always a terrible idea.

By the way, this is my first post in many years, and I'm very excited to be back in this community.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Well, although I don't think there's such a thing as a "perfect game", with which you have no complaints, but there are games that are perfect despite their flaws. Does that make sense?

So, for me it was Twilight Princess. Played it once, got to... the
City in the Sky, with the Cucooa, or whatever they were called
and I hated it and I quit. I started it up again a few months later, and got to a little before that, hated it and quit.

I finally picked it back up again years later, and I loved it and I beat it. *shrugs* ... why? Why did I hate it? Why did it suddenly become a great game suddenly, even though a few years before I hated it? Who knows. I guess that makes this story a waste of time, but the point is that there's no such thing as a perfect game, and even though Zelda games have flaws, they're still awesome. They always meet my expectations, even though they are never perfect.

Expect for SS. That game sucks. :)

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
Well, although I don't think there's such a thing as a "perfect game", with which you have no complaints, but there are games that are perfect despite their flaws. Does that make sense?

So, for me it was Twilight Princess. Played it once, got to... the
City in the Sky, with the Cucooa, or whatever they were called
and I hated it and I quit. I started it up again a few months later, and got to a little before that, hated it and quit.

I finally picked it back up again years later, and I loved it and I beat it. *shrugs* ... why? Why did I hate it? Why did it suddenly become a great game suddenly, even though a few years before I hated it? Who knows. I guess that makes this story a waste of time, but the point is that there's no such thing as a perfect game, and even though Zelda games have flaws, they're still awesome. They always meet my expectations, even though they are never perfect.

Expect for SS. That game sucks. :)

Truly an inspirational story.

But seriously, I think I understand what you mean when by a game that has flaws but is still perfect. What you are referring to is a game that has flaws but is still so good anyway that the game as a whole cannot really be criticized.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Truly an inspirational story.

But seriously, I think I understand what you mean when by a game that has flaws but is still perfect. What you are referring to is a game that has flaws but the is still so good anyway that the game as a whole cannot really be criticized.

That's the ticket. Thank you for putting my thoughts into words! :P

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
No Zelda game since Wind Waker has met and surpassed my expectations, so while I'm excited for Zelda U I'm still apprehensive about it potentially disappointing me.

For me it isn't too bad... if Zelda U doesn't meet my expectations (if its another SS for me) then i still have Wind Waker HD at my disposal (the reason i bought a Wii U). Over a decade later WW still doesn't bore me so i can rely on that game if Zelda U doesn't meet my expectations.

Still, I played SS from beginning to end (three times) wanting to like it, so its not like i don't give Zelda games the chance they deserve. I'll play Zelda U from beginning to end even if it disappoints me, just to see it through to the end, i like to know the whole of something before i judge it.

Though I'm sure Zelda U won't suck, right? ...Right? :/
I think I'm in love, but in all seriousness I agree with Spirit. You cant judge a game until you play it. Like I thought skyward sword was a ok game at the end, it was just that my expectations was too high because I was hearing things about the knight academy that you can do side quest that what made me think that you can do a lot of missions in the game like in majora's mask. skyward sword is a ok game to me, so I'm not going to have high expectations for the new game but I will have expectations for it to be a decent experience.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
One game can't sink Zelda. It'll be something odd we reflect on, kind of like Zelda II or TP for some people. We'll play it and find some enjoyment in it, just maybe not a second time. The franchise has so many experienced developers behind it I'm sure it will pick up with the next game. Believe me, it'll just be a game that didn't meet expectations on a console that didn't meet expectations.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
No games meet my expectations because I'm a Zelda fan, and all Zelda fans do is complain.

:coolhecks:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom