• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If Zelda MM is Remade, Should It Be Realistic or Cel-shaded?

Drahsid

~Deku Drahsid~ | The Hero
Before you raig and say "REALISTIC CUZ ITZ DARK" think about it, Cel-Shaded games CAN be dark.
anyways, just a interesting little forum crated for arguments, enjoy?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't care about it being dark or not, honestly. But I would prefer cel-shaded graphics rather than realistic graphics... if those were the only choices. If we do in fact get a Majora's Mask 3D, I would prefer it have the same graphics/art style as Ocarina of Time 3D.

A Majora's Mask remake should be faithful to the original game's art style. Ocarina of Time 3D and The Wind Walker HD did a solid job of preserving the original games' aesthetic focusing mostly on adding more detailed textures and shadows. Art style is already a major point of contention in the Zelda community, and changing a game's look for a remake would not only be unfaithful, but also cause fan backlash.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
I would prefer the realistic graphics. Don't get me wrong, WW is gorgeous, but that demo they had last year is too good to pass up.

bunny

birb overlord
Is Majora's Mask is remade, I would assume it would be on the 3DS, and made to match Ocarina of Time 3D. The original games matched in art style, so I can't see why Nintendo would change that.. even if it is a remake. They are sequels, and Zelda game sequels tend to match in style. It'd just be kinda weird if they didn't...

Fig

The Altruist
As much as I love the cel-shaded art style and graphics that Wind Waker utilized, I think it would make better sense for Nintendo to keep the original graphics in tact that Majora's Mask had if Nintendo does decided to remake Majora's Mask in the nearby future. Ocarina of Time 3D and Wind Waker HD kept the same style of that their respective original titles had and simply upgraded to match with the current generation of graphics. That and the fact that since Majora's Mask is a sequel of Ocarina of Time and use the exact same engine and design, if Nintendo and GREZZO joined up to create Majora's Mask 3D, it should follow the same engine that Ocarina of Time 3D used.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I actually prefer the anime-esque art style of OoT and MM to the "realistic" look of TP and the cel-shaded look of WW. If they remake the game they had better stick with the OoT3D look and transition it to MM. (And keep the blurring effect the game uses, I know it was a work-around for the limited capabilities of the N64 even with the Expansion Pack, but I honestly really like that effect and think it looks cool.)

If or when MM is remade it will likely be for the 3DS in which case they would very likely improve the detail and polish it up like they did for OoT3D, it makes more sense and would be cost efficient as the tools to do it with already exist and frankly I'm tired of cell shading.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would just want it to be the similar way they did OoT3D, those graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and at the same time very true to the original style :)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
What benefit is there of making MM cel shaded? I see none. The cel-shaded games, rightfully so, give the player a lighthearted experience, and their cel-shaded graphics really help to emphasize that. Not to say they can't have serious, dark or scary moments, but the overall experience is supposed to be comfortable. MM is supposed to be uncomfortable. There's no reason to present a more lighthearted and comfortable style into was is supposed to be an uncomfortable experience.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well the term realistic doesn't really apply to any art style within the Zelda series. Sure they're are the more realistic styles such as the one witnessed in Twilight Princess - this style isn't exactly realistic though. So by "realistic" I guess you're referring to the art style we saw in Ocarina of Time 3D.

OoT3D had some pretty unique visuals, of course it was similar to the original style, but it was very fantasy-like which I think suits the series down to a tee. It's not too out there like TWW/SS and and it's not more so on the realistic side of the series like TP. I won't lie, I'd love a darker style but the style seen in the remake of Ocarina of Time Is the best of both worlds and as such, it won't split the fanbase or cause a stir like some other installments.

On the topic though, cel-shaded isn't really suited to the tone of Majora's Mask in my opinion. MM Is a very one off Zelda game, it maintains the series' charm but it's also very, very different. It's a darker game and I really don't think cel-shaded would complement the game's tone. The perfect style in my eyes is the one we saw originally in OoT3D; however don't just do a carbon copy of the visual style, make it distinct to this game. So use it as a template of sorts, but maybe use a slightly darker colour palette or use darker shades and whatnot.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well the term realistic doesn't really apply to any art style within the Zelda series. Sure they're are the more realistic styles such as the one witnessed in Twilight Princess - this style isn't exactly realistic though. So by "realistic" I guess you're referring to the art style we saw in Ocarina of Time 3D.

OoT3D had some pretty unique visuals, of course it was similar to the original style, but it was very fantasy-like which I think suits the series down to a tee. It's not too out there like TWW/SS and and it's not more so on the realistic side of the series like TP. I won't lie, I'd love a darker style but the style seen in the remake of Ocarina of Time Is the best of both worlds and as such, it won't split the fanbase or cause a stir like some other installments.

On the topic though, cel-shaded isn't really suited to the tone of Majora's Mask in my opinion. MM Is a very one off Zelda game, it maintains the series' charm but it's also very, very different. It's a darker game and I really don't think cel-shaded would complement the game's tone. The perfect style in my eyes is the one we saw originally in OoT3D; however don't just do a carbon copy of the visual style, make it distinct to this game. So use it as a template of sorts, but maybe use a slightly darker colour palette or use darker shades and whatnot.

Yeah I got to agree with what coolguy said, the style of OoT 3D is what style they need to go for with MM 3D just make it more darker to keep the feel the game originally had. That is if they even make MM 3D, have they even hinted towards making it yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom