• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds If Zelda 3DS Was Played Like ST or PH with Stylus ONLY, How Would You Feel...?

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
The title really says it all. For me, It would be a hard buy. I didn't care for PH simply because of it's controls. It really made the overall experience dull for me. I could never get into the game because of it... (no offence to people who liked it). This caused me to never buy ST. What would your reaction be if Zelda 3DS was only played via the touch screen, what would your reaction be?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If the game played like PH nad ST, I would definitely skip out on the title. Even if it were sold for $5 and had everything I wanted as far as Zelda is concerned (bar controls), I would skip it. Yes, It' shallow, but I really despise ST/PH's control scheme. It cramps my hand beyond belief. There's simply no way around it.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I severely disliked moving Link via the Nintendo DS Stylus. It was a pain, and I could never adapt to it. Although this may be evident, it won't prevent me from purchasing the next DS/3DS game. Yes, the controls may be difficult, but it's a small price to pay when it comes to a new Zelda experience. :)

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Make a formal complaint to Nintendo. Seriously, I really don't want to go through something like forced motion controls again. There are buttons and a circle pad on the 3DS, Nintendo. Use them.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
PH was pretty poor, but ST was amazing. If this was a BEV game, I would probably refuse to buy it unless they incorporated this system. I hated the poor control system given to us in the original 2D games.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
Personally, I think the controls in the DS titles were the make/break factor, and for me it broke the experience. Like someone said above, If the game had EVERYTHING I ever wanted in a Zelda title but still had the stylus on controls, I wouldn't get it.

if Zelda 3DS had stylus control i'd be seriously annoyed, while PH and ST worked and had responsive controls, i still found them to be fiddly and very limiting which made the games far less enjoyable than they should have been, especially when PH and ST had some difficult to love level design to start with. So if Zelda 3DS was wholly based on stylus control again then there is a fair chance i'll not play it until i either lend it from someone or buy it dirt cheap, either way i wont go out of my way to play it based on past experience.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I wouldn't complain, but I wouldn't be overjoyed, either. I really want movement to be put back in the hands of the D-pad (or Circle Pad, doesn't matter). However, as I've said before, I don't want touch controls to go away completely. They add a LOT more freedom in what can be done with the gameplay, namely the combat and item use, so taking that away would be foolish. A combination of the two different methods is what we need if we are to see a BEV Zelda on the 3DS (which I'm sure we will eventually).

Out of curiosity from living under a rock, what does "BEV" mean?

I've generally avoided Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks because of their controls (and the somewhat poorer ratings they garnered), so I wouldn't be pleased to see that aspect return on the 3DS. It's very difficult to have deep combat and accurate controls when it all revolves around scribbling on a piece of glass, and those two things are important to me. Kid Icarus: Uprising, for instance, makes near-omnipresent use of the stylus, and while its particular usage works for the most part, it's still uncomfortable and would have been better off using the touch screen as supplementation rather than the end-all-be-all. I don't want to see that limitation on Zelda again.

The motion controls in Skyward Sword were a bit different; after all, you didn't need motion controls to make Link move, did you? The extra control was used a bit more as supplementation than the main choice (even though I do feel it was slightly overbearing at times), so it didn't come off as nearly as obtrusive. But games that rely too heavily on their advanced control schemes while trying to keep the beat with the previous games usually wind up controversial. For instance, you can't have deep combat or fast action when your movements are slowly governed by the stylus. If you seriously alter the control scheme, you need to alter the rest of the game to keep pace.

I didn't mind using the stylus for Phantom Hourglass at all. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. But, what would making a 3DS game use the touch screen for the main screen rather than its namesake screen--the 3D itself? If I'm playing a 3DS Zelda game, I'd be pretty disappointed if the upper screen was used for something stupid rather than the gameplay itself. I mean, really. Especially since Nintendo said the 3D in this game would mean something.

No, but I don't mind using the stylus. Except on the 3DS, the location in which the stylus is stored is not as convenient as on the DS, so I usually use my thumb on whim if it's for a quick tap on the screen rather than prolonged use. But either way, whether or not use of the touch screen is used to its fullest potential, I'm indifferent. Since it's already gotten its fair share of attention, I doubt Nintendo would neglect the upper screen since it's the new special feature on this system.

we dont need stylus back. now there is a circle pad tha we can use.stylus isnt comfortable and its capabilities are very limited

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
we dont need stylus back. now there is a circle pad tha we can use.stylus isnt comfortable and its capabilities are very limited

How are they limited? I'm not trying to rebuttal your thoughts on the stylus coming back, as that's personal preference -- I myself would rather move Link around with the Circle Pad -- but it's an absolute fact that you can do more with a touch screen and stylus than you can with a control pad and buttons, as the DS games showcased very clearly. It's like comparing a standard controller to the Wii MotionPlus. There just aren't as many available options.

I personally really liked the play-style of PH and ST and wouldn't mind seeing it return, but at the same time I'd rather they do something different. That's sort of how I feel about everything in Zelda actually...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom