• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds If Zelda 3DS Was Played Like ST or PH with Stylus ONLY, How Would You Feel...?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
"...touch controls allowed you to draw lines, swipe the screen, touch specific spots with accuracy, and write stuff, while buttons allowed us to perform one task: pressing down on them."

Multiple options beats out 1, my friend.

Alright, I'll give you that touch controls can do all of those things. But, are they conducive to gameplay - more efficient than buttons? Do they make for an overall better Zelda game; controls do aid in crafting a good game right?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
no touch screen movement, no motioncontrols, and if there are i think we should have the option the use the Pro controller. the motions controls suck and have made the franchise worse in some area. but touch navigation and combat is a no, i will not play the game it that is how it turns out.

you dont hear comment like this from me, im usually pretty natural. but if they change the zelda control, not so much SS, i dont really care bout that but would think it would go fund to return to some time, but yeah thats how i feeL

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Alright, I'll give you that touch controls can do all of those things. But, are they conducive to gameplay - more efficient than buttons? Do they make for an overall better Zelda game; controls do aid in crafting a good game right?

I don't think either is objectively superior. Touch may have more options and more freedom, but that doesn't make it automatically BETTER. Both schemes were pulled off with flying colors, so I don't see how anyone can call one better than the other (although I can understand preferences).

And, like I've said countless times, I'd prefer to see a mixture of the two styles in a BEV 3DS Zelda game. The Circle Pad would allow us to move Link in any direction like in the DS games (just without anyone having any reason to stress), and the touch screen & stylus would allow us to use Link's inventory in more creative ways than buttons would allow for.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Alt+Tab
Tab
Start typing
Alt+S

Meanwhile, the mouse can...what? Click? What will that accomplish, ignoring the Mouse-based Keyboard application for some PCs? Nothing at all. The same idea applies with control pads vs touch controls.

Click.

Cut.

Copy.

Paste.

Surf the internet.

Define most MMOs.

Wasn't Zack and Wiki based off such gameplay too?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Click.
Cut.
Copy.
Paste.
Provided you typed something into the field with a keyboard first, yeah.

Define most MMOs.
Like mouse, touch controls do have potential. I'm not denying that at all. But, with the typical MMO format, keybinds (read: buttons for KEYBOARD) are more than highly recommended if you want to have an enjoyable time with base things. Yes, mouse - touch controls - are still used with part of the interface, but the breadth of the controls typically stem from WASD (control stick) and your keybinds (buttons).

As a kid the first Zelda game I got was Link's Awakening, but I didn't play it much. When I bought a DS, the first game I played was PH, I loved it so much that I got hooked on Zelda. When ST came out I played it less than PH, so maybe that's why I feel like PH was longer. But ST was better in gameplay and storyline. After those I got around playing some old Zelda games: LoZ, ALTTP en OoT (N64), I liked the controlls and view with OoT more than PH/ST so I hope the new one is going to be like that. I also think it's weird if they would make a stylus based Zelda game when you now got a circle pad.

DarkLink17

Well then
The stylus controls were not all that bad, I enjoyed how the Boomerang and other items really utilized those controls. If it came down to the final decision though, I would rather not use the stylus the whole game.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I don't think either is objectively superior. Touch may have more options and more freedom, but that doesn't make it automatically BETTER. Both schemes were pulled off with flying colors, so I don't see how anyone can call one better than the other (although I can understand preferences).

And, like I've said countless times, I'd prefer to see a mixture of the two styles in a BEV 3DS Zelda game. The Circle Pad would allow us to move Link in any direction like in the DS games (just without anyone having any reason to stress), and the touch screen & stylus would allow us to use Link's inventory in more creative ways than buttons would allow for.
Okay, I can agree with that part. I think having only necessary parts of the game us touch controls, such as marking stuff on maps, selecting items, and other minor things is cool, but if this game uses ONLY touch screen, count me out. As for the old saying, "if it aint broke, why fix it?" Why only put touch controls in a game we have played our whole lives using buttons? Plus, even gaming publications and websites have stated the downside to Iphone gaming is touching the screen. That alone proves buttons are the preferred type of gaming.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As for the old saying, "if it aint broke, why fix it?" Why only put touch controls in a game we have played our whole lives using buttons?

That's a fallacy. The appeal to tradition fallacy, to be specific. Just because something has constantly worked in the past doesn't mean it's the only thing that should ever see the light of day. This is something I went over in my article on voice acting in Zelda.

Now, I can see where you're coming from with this, though. After all, the traditional controls were much more convenient as far as moving Link went. Still, the argument of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" doesn't quite work on its own in this situation.

The stylus controls were not all that bad, I enjoyed how the Boomerang and other items really utilized those controls. If it came down to the final decision though, I would rather not use the stylus the whole game.

I like the idea of only using the touch screen for items and mapping.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
tumblr_lq0hmsSYRg1qafrh6.gif

It would really not make use of the 3D feature, becoming (effectively) a non-3DS title.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Honestly, I feel like it would be a total waste to me. The 3DS was built with an analog pad, and I would hope and pray that it would be used. Besides, a title like Spirit Tracks of Phantom Hourglass would make no sense since the 3D display is on the top screen, and I would know that Nintendo would love to have that 3D on full display without your hand blocking it because you're using the stylus to move Link.

Now, with all of that said, I would still love to see a game using the same art style as that of Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks. Maybe there could be a way to keep that Adult Timeline going with more titles taking place in the New Hyrule or perhaps just another game with the same visual quality.

I would probably not buy it. But I doubt they would do that, they did because of the lack of a circle pad on te DS, with stylus movement, you weren't limited to 8 directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom