• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds If Zelda 3DS Was Played Like ST or PH with Stylus ONLY, How Would You Feel...?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
How are they limited? I'm not trying to rebuttal your thoughts on the stylus coming back, as that's personal preference -- I myself would rather move Link around with the Circle Pad -- but it's an absolute fact that you can do more with a touch screen and stylus than you can with a control pad and buttons, as the DS games showcased very clearly. It's like comparing a standard controller to the Wii MotionPlus. There just aren't as many available options.

You cannot do more with a stylus than you can with control pad and buttons. That's like saying you can do more with a mouse than you can with a keyboard - the notion is absolutely ludicrous. You're limited to basic touches, but you do get a surplus of range to move around with (you can touch anywhere instantly with touchscreen, can't move anywhere instantly with sticks). But, that range is the only advantage that ttouch controls have over buttons. Everything else, buttons outclass the touch.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think this would be a really lost opportunity if Nintendo did this...

From general opinions I think people would prefer alternative controls to stylus, of course this isn't everyone but am just going off the majority. I didn't particularly like the controls in PH or ST, i did in fact get used to them as I got into the game but I think button controls not only are more efficient to use but also offer more control over Link and the game. Stylus controls can be very fiddly at times and even though I don't mind touchscreen options, I don't think the controls should be stylus only.

With the new 3DS you have the D Pad, analogue controls, gyro sensor and the option for touchscreens with the stylus. Limiting the range to just one option would just be a very poor decision and frankly stupid. The next installment should utilise all the control options in the most effective way...D Pad and analogue contols should be the main basis or format for most actions, such as moving, combat Etc. Gyro Sensor should be optional however if used like in OoT3D it could be used as an aimer for certain items. Finally the stylus, this should be used for just simple use of the extra screen for simple and efficient menu navigating and drawing notes like in PH and ST.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
You cannot do more with a stylus than you can with control pad and buttons. That's like saying you can do more with a mouse than you can with a keyboard - the notion is absolutely ludicrous. You're limited to basic touches, but you do get a surplus of range to move around with (you can touch anywhere instantly with touchscreen, can't move anywhere instantly with sticks). But, that range is the only advantage that ttouch controls have over buttons. Everything else, buttons outclass the touch.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression that touch controls allowed you to draw lines, swipe the screen, touch specific spots with accuracy, and write stuff, while buttons allowed us to perform one task: pressing down on them. My bad, I must have been mistaken.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would be fine with partial use of stylus, like marking maps and such, but I would want it to primarily be a button-controlled game. The stylus is a rather limiting way of controlling in my opinion and I would definitely be disappointed if Zelda 3DS were to be a stylus-controlled game.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It depends on how y' look at it, mouse moves in all angles and controls stuff on your comp.
The keyboard is many buttons that control it too.

True, but click out of your window and then try to come back here and respond to me, using just your keyboard. Explain how you did it. If you do, I'll do the same with my mouse and explain how I did it.

A mouse can do anything a keyboard can and more--you just need to make substitutions....

Last edited:

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I'd be cool with it. The controls in those games (PH and ST) worked well and I'm sure Zelda 3DS, if it were to control like that, would too. Granted, I'd prefer button controls or even a combination with touch screen functions, but that's just me.

Snoober

P O K E M O N M A S T E R
I would be fine with partial use of stylus, like marking maps and such, but I would want it to primarily be a button-controlled game. The stylus is a rather limiting way of controlling in my opinion and I would definitely be disappointed if Zelda 3DS were to be a stylus-controlled game.
I 100% agree. I wouldn't have minded if PH and ST would have made partial use of the stylus such as controlling the boomerang's and boat's path and other features, but making it a stylus only game killed the overall experience for me. With SS, yes motion controls were there (I'd have preferred traditional controllers any day) but the whole game wasn't controlled by it.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I 100% agree. I wouldn't have minded if PH and ST would have made partial use of the stylus such as controlling the boomerang's and boat's path and other features, but making it a stylus only game killed the overall experience for me.

^ Why I say a BEV 3DS Zelda should use the Circle Pad to move and the touch controls do everything else. (As well as a targeting system. That would open up a lot of combat opportunities for a BEV Zelda.)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
True, but click out of your window and then try to come back here and respond to me, using just your keyboard. Explain how you did it. If you do, I'll do the same with my mouse and explain how I did it.

A mouse can do anything a keyboard can and more--you just need to make substitutions....
Alt+Tab
Tab
Start typing
Alt+S

Meanwhile, the mouse can...what? Click? What will that accomplish, ignoring the Mouse-based Keyboard application for some PCs? Nothing at all. The same idea applies with control pads vs touch controls.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Meanwhile, the mouse can...what? Click? What will that accomplish, ignoring the Mouse-based Keyboard application for some PCs? Nothing at all. The same idea applies with control pads vs touch controls.

"...touch controls allowed you to draw lines, swipe the screen, touch specific spots with accuracy, and write stuff, while buttons allowed us to perform one task: pressing down on them."

Multiple options beats out 1, my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom