• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If you wrote a book...........

I would write a fantasy/adventure book set back in the times of Draons and mystical creatures :D. It would be about a great war probably and how the war goes on until I would finally end the series with the victory of one of the sides.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
:) I've WRITTEN books. I've been bothering people to try to get them published - without success so far, but I've heard that most writers suffer loads of rejection before anyone takes a chance on them. Publishing is a business, after all. Publishers and agents like to seek out marketabilty (sometimes over good writing, sadly), and seem to rather stick with "safe bets" - i.e. writers already establised in the business. I've researched this junk... I am serious about pursuing being a novelist.

That said, I write fantasy. My very first "novel" is a big steaming pile we will not talk about. It rests in a box somewhere, awaiting the day I get the guts and desire to give it a complete overhaul.

Another novel I've tried to get published is something I've put on the back burner, as well. I think it could be decent with a little more work, I still like some ideas in it. It is a story of a fantasy world that's based upon cliche's - the people in it fill archetypical roles ("Hero," "Companion" etc.) and they all know about and are doomed to this - the story deals with what people would do in a self-aware fantasy land where they knew they were doomed to their specific cliche's. I wrote that one several years ago and decided, ironically, that it's too cliche' and I'd rather keep it on the back burner than purse publication on it as of the moment.

As far as pieces I'm actively trying to get literary agents and publishers to pay attention to...

I have a website promoting one of them. It has a few sample chapters posted to it. http://www.shadsie.com/MBSite/MBindex.html
It is about a gryphon and the slave woman who raises him from an egg. It has a lot of complicated themes such as the natural world vs. the human world and questions regarding the morality of war and "are humans good or are humans b@%^&*&s?" The story is actually a fantasy with a little bit of sci-fi flavor as genetic engineering is a major plot point and it is shown at some point in the story that the humans arrived to the world on "great birds" (that I hint at being dimension-crossers rather than just space ships, simply because a planet filled with mythical type animals doesn't make sense to me as hard science).

I have another, quite a bit longer novel I'm trying to get attention paid to, but I do not, as yet, have a website for it. I do artwork for it, which sometimes appears on my DA page. "The Featherchaser" is about a boy on a quest - but of a different kind than most quest-fantasies. He grew up in a little walled city that is feared by his world as a place where human sacrifices are preformed - but the city is actually kind, a place that takes in the world's unwanted people and takes care of them. When their young people reach a certain age-group, they are sent out as "sacrifices" to the world upon little world-bettering quests of their own chosing. My main character is facinated by nature and chooses to collect one feather from every bird (and other feathered creature) in his world to build a scientific record. So... a young person on a quest, but he's not out to destroy ancient evils or collect mystic artefacts... he's just out there being a birdwatcher, all the while meeting people and changing lives in subtle ways along the way. Fairly introspective and stuff about human nature is explored.

I'm currently dabbling/trying to write a new book that's somewhat post-apocalyptic (not immediate aftermath, more like a "couple of centuries after something bad happened to reduce the human population. The survivors and their decendants have gone on with their lives." ) It has to do with small town people, mystical guardian creatures, and the nature of faith - but not regarding any one particular religion. I've taken it upon myself to write a secular novel about the nature of faith, so, while I hope to see it through to the end, if it peters out, I'm sure I can forgive myself because the themes I'm playing with are pretty lofty.

Also of note: I suppose I could vanity press publish (pay a book bindery, do it yourself type), but I do not want to. I want a bonafide literary agent to represent me, a bonafide "we decide who is worthy" publisher to take me on. I need someone besides me and my friends to see my work as "good." I feel that vanity press is a cop-out (and only something I'd do if I found out I was dying and it was my last chance to see my work in print or something). I really want someone in the professional realm to take a chance on me and to give me that kind of validation.

Meanwhile, I'll keep writing because I am addicted to it.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

Seeing the name of this topic made me laugh a little, as I HAVE written a book and I sent it to Shadow Mountain (a publishing company) a few days ago. It's mainly Fantasy/Adventure, but has a chapter or two that seem relatively sci-fi. It's actually where Asui is from to start with. I sure hope they decide to publish it. I wrote an amazing opening paragraph toward the end of production, though, and people have told me that it's really good, so I believe I have the right to get my hopes up a little bit.;)

I found this topic again and laughed at the title again, though maybe not in exactly the same context.

Sometime after that post, I got the rejection letter from the publishing company. They weren't really harsh about it though, and they encouraged me to keep writing. :)

I revised the book a bit (actually, quite a lot) and I think it's about ready. I think I need to change the very end just a little bit, then I'll send it to a second publisher. Never fear, I have not given up hope!! The current version is far more likely to get published, I think.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I found this topic again and laughed at the title again, though maybe not in exactly the same context.

Sometime after that post, I got the rejection letter from the publishing company. They weren't really harsh about it though, and they encouraged me to keep writing. :)

I revised the book a bit (actually, quite a lot) and I think it's about ready. I think I need to change the very end just a little bit, then I'll send it to a second publisher. Never fear, I have not given up hope!! The current version is far more likely to get published, I think.

Don't give up hope on your first try. Or your second, or third.... If you really believe in your work, hold on with iron teeth.

I've had many rejection letters from literary agents and publishers for my various works. I just keep trying. In fact, as an act of good humor, I decorated a very nice box to keep them in - I painted it to depict one of my characters. http://www.shadsie.com/MBSite/art/art7.html

It holds lots of letters.

S

supergoron97

I have written short fiction stories about a fictional war between Athens and the rest of Greece, the main character is the Ithacan King Razmius, which is also a nickname of mine

A

Abyss Master

I'm preparing for writing books (FO' REELZ) by writing these little short stories and seeing how I can improve on this and that. My book will be about a "hero" who is not really a hero at all, who grows up in an era where peace is a frail substance and evil hides behind many doors. He grows up to become a master swordsman but continues to see hardships from both within family and friends, as well as perils that come crushing down upon his homeland. After becoming used by a close relative for questionable missions and experiments, he disappears from his village, and is never heard from again, roaming the land as a lone swordsman whose skills are renowned. The people knows him as the "Black Wolf", which will be the title of the book.

Throughout the book he will run into associates of his once close (but now evil, hurr hurr) relative, as well as others who wish to fight for the same cause as he is. And his journy for both justice, as well as redemption, brings him to places never thought to be real.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
The number one thing a writer needs is PATIENCE. Well, I guess the number one thing is creative ability, but you still need patience when writing anything, especially when it comes to waiting for a book to get approved for production.

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
Okay, I'm going to be the black sheep here but.. I'd probably co-author a textbook before I'd write a novel. I'm not much of a fictional writer or reader. As far as fictional creativity goes, I'd sooner come up with a MMORPG than a novel.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
I'm actually writing a series of books right now, which are turning out quite well. Expect to see first book on shelves in about 4 years. :

It's a fictional story, yet very realistic. It involves how people relate to each other, their lives, and their deaths.

There will be a novel, followed by three mini-novels, and wrapped up by another novel.

I'd give more detail, but I wouldn't want to ruin it, nor have my ideas stolen. ;)

Look for "One" by Alter, coming soon!

L

Legendary Pizza

Mine would be about how to be a good politic after all then we'd have a bunch of sara palins runing our world

Dragon Tamer

Cold hearted...thing
I'm actually trying to write a book now. I'm still thinking about the title though...Right now it is called "Forgetful". It is about a girl who is abused from her mother. On her way home she gets jumped on. She blacks out and wakes up with her memory gone. A guy saved her and she later finds out that she is somehow linked with him. He controls the element light, and she controls darkness. Later in the story they find an enemy and they have to find all the people who controls an element.

The story is something like that. I'm going to try and finish it and get it published. :)
Wish me luck! :P

I

IvilNatty

If I wrote a book it would be about magical creatures. No humans would be allowed to be written about. The book would consist of constant adventure, maybe a bit of romance and of course comedy.

i think i would probably write something like the zelda series. forbidden love and action packed adventure. i think atleast someone should write a book about it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom