• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If You Could Make a Zelda Game.

If you could design your own zelda game what features would it have? would there be more music?, more fighting?, or anything else you can think of.

personally i would love to see some form of mulitplayer in the games. there was four sword adventure but it was just zelda party game i want to see online features maybe a full blown mmo. that is a little unrealistic but an online feature would be awesome. imagine fighting through a whole new hyrule with people from across the globe i think it sounds great.

The other thing I would change is the lack of mini games or other things to do . it's like once you save hyrule threes not much to do

Fig

The Altruist
I would love to make a MMO Zelda game for everyone to enjoy. It would probably be in the format of Runescape since it is similar to Zelda as the two are fantasy games. I would add an endless amount of sidequests and just add a bunch of features that everyone can enjoy! I would also make the accounts free since I don't want to make it available for only rich kids! :P :lol: I just wish I knew how to make a game such as this one that I'm describing! It would take a long to develop, but the result would be awesome and fantastic! ^^

Last edited:
I have SO many expectations and aspects I would add in, but I'm just going to leave it to 2.
1. Lots of amazing music, a completely orchestrated soundtrack.
2. Many, many, many sidequests.

ALSO, I would like to see what it would be like in hyrule, or wherever the game takes place after ganondorf/evil villain is defeated.. but I don't know how that would work.. :P

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Id have awesome music, and a super duper awesome story explaining more about the Shiekah people! Lots of fighting, more overworld puzzles, and harder dungeons and boss fights!

Ganondork

goo
Now, let's just get something off my chest..

Fig said:
It would probably be in the format of Runescape since it is similar to Zelda as the two are fantasy games

Wat. There are countless MMOs that are closer related to Zelda than Runescape ever will be. Simply because they are in the same - or similar - genres, that doesn't mean they would be in similar format. In fact, I would pray that it wouldn't have Runescape's format. That would be awful.

That being said, if I could make a Zelda game, it would be 2D. It would be considerably darker than the usual 2D Zelda games. I would stress darker, more difficult dungeons, and definitely have more combat than puzzles. The puzzles that do show up, however, would no doubt be difficult. I would also make it considerably difficult, and have 16-bit songs for the soundtrack.

2D is easily my favorite type of Zelda; I've always enjoyed the way that there are screens, instead of just an overworld to explore. I always feel that screens give more exploration options; you have four different directions to take. My ideal Zelda game would definitely stress the use of screens. The only drawback I predict is that 2D Zeldas are usually on handheld systems, and even the DS Zeldas had 3D aspects to them.

Dark Zeldas are usually my favorite; A Link to the Past especially. They usually have more depth than the lighter and more upbeat Zeldas, which I feel would be rather important to have. Zelda rarely has a compelling story, which I feel keeps the series back at points. Skyward Sword had the best story development, but even that was noticeably weak. Zelda usually has great gameplay, but 2D Zeldas usually use the same formula. Recycling that formula that has always worked so well would give more time to develop the story itself. This, I feel, would create a better Zelda than the recent ones we've seen.

Difficult dungeons - and an overall difficult game - would be prevalent. I'm tired of Zelda games that take me a couple of days to beat when I really sit down and play the games. It's disheartening when a game as good as Oracle of Seasons is as easy to beat as it is. For this reason, I would want there to be long dungeons filled with very difficult enemies, whether they have a lot of health or a very intelligent AI, or even both. I want the puzzles, when there are puzzles, to take time and effort to figure out. Puzzles ideally that would rely on the environment of the dungeon or cave to be solved. I would want the player to have died dozens of times before I would be content.

And then my final point; 16-bit music. I was excited by orchestrated music when Skyward Sword was announced, and then was promptly slapped across the face. Skyward Sword's music had few memorable tracks, whereas A Link to the Past had plenty. Many people remember the Dark World, Hidden Mountain and Forest, etc.? Of course you do. I tend to remember the 16-bit tracks much more than I do any orchestrated songs, and most of the 3D Zelda tracks for that matter. A 2D Zelda wouldn't be complete without this amazing style of music. This would easily top off any great Zelda game.

That's more or less how my Zelda game would be.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I would like it to have a darker plotline also-- and I dont mean like a horror game. Idk, i just feel more connected to the protagonists if they go through some sort of a struggle, but thats just me. I'd like there to be a lot of new orchestrated music (I'm not sure if there is one, but shouldn't Link have his own song?). I'd want the realistic graphics like TP with the same colours from SS. I would want a CD to come with the game (much like SS) Because I love the Zelda soundtrack, so It would be really awesome if all the games came with it.

MORE PUZZLES! I dont know about you, but I feel totally smart when I crack a puzzle. I would bring back the magic meter, which hasn't been in many newer games. in the timeline, it would take place after Oot but before TP. I would bring the Gerudos into the story again, because I feel that they weren't in the franchise enough despite being Ganondorf's race and people. I would try to come up with new ways to defeat bosses instead of reusing the same ideas (ex. Hitting Ganondorf's attacks back at him). I'd also give Link some magic abilities --like in Oot.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If I were to make a Zelda game, it'd blend all of the good that the series up until SS has brought. It'd be ideally made for four people but obviously can be completed solo (you could choose to have bots or just play solo; difficulty overall scales with how many people you have in your party). It would easily be a dark Zelda game, because the lighter games just make me angry (funny moments are cool, but we're not going to have any goofy looking enemies this time around *leers at SS with contempt*. Oh, you could choose between having Link playable (male or female) and a few other characters (namely Zelda, Ganondorf, Ghirahim to get some extra pizazz in there, etc).

This game would have many RPG elements akin to Star Ocean Till the End of Time and Guild Wars. Status effects like frozen, burn, weakened, blind, etc would be implemented with ease, and many enemies would be able to cast a variety of spells that inflict these effects. Skills, such as "Attack speed +33%" buffs and of course special attacks like "teleport to enemy which causes blind in a certain radius for 3 seconds" would be available, though which skills are available to whom obviously would differ. I think the gameplay would be class based; if one has ever played an MMORPG they typically have classes of the holy trinity "Heal, DPS, Tank", but every character will be able to play each role, just one such character will be more suited to a specific aspect of the trinity (e.g Ghirahim would be a DPS character primarily but could have a certain build that allows him to play Tank, yet he would be a pretty weak healer).

Zelda = Healer primarily
Ganondorf = Tank/DPS Hybrid, mostly tanking though
Link = Well rounded
Ghirahim = pure DPS

Oh, items. Well, I'm confused on how the format of items should be in this game. On one hand, I'd love to see an item wheel. But the thing is, I want some items to be status effect remedies (e.g Alarm Clock in FFXII). There would be a problem selecting whatever little bugger you'd like. I suppose I could adopt how Kingdom Hearts (I and II) deal with items == you select whichever item from a drop down menu, then your party members come up afterwards and you select who to use the item on. Eh, I'm still iffy on this part.

Enemies would scale according to the zone you're currently in. So, for example, Kokiri Forest would be a starting zone. Enemies would be pretty easy to defeat, inflicting only the most basic of debuffs IF they inflict any (Weakness is a good one to start), but won't cast buffs ever. Those enemies would be few in number. In comparison, a place like Vaati's Palace would feature several different enemies in a mass variety, some buffed of previous models and others being entirely new enemies. These enemies would cast a wide range of buffs AND debuffs, making for skill, timing and efficiency to be absolutely crucial (this IS endgame, after all).

A massively fixed and upscaled Upgrade System would be featured in this game, with most upgrades being extremely useful as well as completely optional; I don't want to force people to grind. Many enemies will drop materials that you need, or alternatively you can take to gathering those materials. Rupees wouldn't be so abundant as to make upgrading trivial, but they wouldn't be so sparse so as to make it a grindfest.

Sidequests would be abundant. You could talk to the typical NPC to grab a quest (you know, like a traditional MMO), or you could walk in the field and an RNG NPC would spawn while being chased by a clan of Bulbins, prompting you to defeat said Bulbins and procure your reward. The sidequests would range from fetchquests to specifics within combat. They wouldn't cease to exist. :yes:

This game would have post game content. I'm thinking gear grind, extra dungeons, and unlocking different characters by going through a trial of sorts. Of course, enemies will scale in difficulty if you're in post game! ^.^

Above all, though, it'd still have the typical Zelda core to it. It would still feel like Zelda, even if it plays slightly different to what we're used to.

Last edited:

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
Bigger world, more exploring, more sidequests, more battling, and more epic music, truthfully i've had the idea for a game for a long time, with a more twisted depressing feel.

Z

Zeldacelli

Honestly I just hope they have fully orchestrated scores from now on. Nooooo MIDI format, please! I'm a music student, if I'm playing a video game I want to listen to real violins, not bloop boop beep all day. Also I hope they have more content after the main quest, like mini games or like an extra dungeon or something. I like a big overworld as much as the next person, but I want it to be an overworld that's full of valuable space, not just miles of grass. So side quests, please please please!

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
- SOOPER DOOPER AMAZING MOOSIC
- whatever graphics i feel fi the game
- an awesome intense epic story
- time wastign elements like minigames
- lots of sidequests
- very big overworld
- actually creative dungeons
- more difficult combat instances
- epic final battle

To make things more organized and manageable I will shape my thoughts into bulleted points.

* I would create a perfect balance of linearity and non-linearity. There would be a set path for the player to follow, but would have the option of not following it and taking a different route. For example, the second half of Skyward Sword should have been completley optional. I should have been able to complete the Ancient Cistern, Sandship, and Fire Sanctuary in any order. Unfortunately this was not the case; but this example represents a perfect blend of the aforementioned gameplay mechanics and it's something I would strive to implement. Another perfect example is The Wind Waker.

* I would add voice acting. Oh gawd this series needs voice acting. Link wouldn't talk but everybody else would. Think of Skyrim but without the annoyance of people randomly coming up to you and saying crap that the player doesn't care about.

* I would make Link and Zelda have the semblance of an adult. Twilight Princess featured the best (hawtest) looking Zelda out of the series, and this is something I would totally capitalize on. In my game, we would finally see Link and Zelda formulate a deep and emotional relationship. And I'm not talking about a cute childhood crush relationship (SS), I'm talking about a mature, adult relationship that the player can emotionally get involved in. This relationship would build off of and be affected by the events taking place in the game, as well as the player's choices during Link's adventure.

* I would incorporate an extensive and connected overworld; blending the positive qualities of the TP and OoT overworlds together to create a place that is aesthetically pleasent and rich in content. No transportation here, we're going old school and bringing back our trusty steed that we know and love. There would be a variety of overworld bosses and enemies that the player can tackle on or off Epona, as well as frequent houses/towns/villiages that the player can visit for short or extended sidequests. In essence, this overworld would have the fluidness of Ocarina of Time, but the expansiveness of Twilight Princess; packed with tons of content.

* Something that I haven't thought of before was enemey progression throughout the game. I feel that Ocarina of Time has done this the best and its something that I would make sure is added to my game. I would make it so that each new dungeon brought a variety of the same common enemey already faced, but also brand new enemeies never seen in the game before. This would make combat more exciting as well as the dungeon more rewarding once completed. It would alsomake the player more excited to progress through the game to find out what's beneath or inside the next dungeon/temple.

* Finally, the most important thing of all, I would add a mutha truckin' difficulty level. Seriously Nintendo... wtf? Adding a difficulty level would solve all the problems in the world. It might even cure cancer.

Anywho, there is more that I would do but I'm tired of typing haha. This sums up the points that I would focus on the most.

tlozoot

the evil even Link fears
i agree with most of the comments others wrote especially:
1-Huge overworld
2-choose in difficuly level
3-strategy needed in battles
4-more sidequests
5-MMO
and some more.

I would combine aspects of my favorite Zelda games while adding some new stuff.

* The first is the most important, an open overworld like Twilight Princess but with more in it. Think Xenoblade Chronicles, creatures roaming around, ignoring you for the most part, unless you provoke them. Beautiful landscape with wonderful music.

* A strong connection between Link and Zelda. Both Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword demenstrated this. SS made them the best of friends and developed their friendship throughout the game. ST made her the companion, also strengthening their newfound friendship, evidenced by their holding hands at the end. I think that Zelda should once again be his companion through the game as a disembodied spirit because of some event that puts her in a coma and accompanies Link while her body is healing.

* Each boss needs more than 1 phase

* More than just one villain and a twist on the whole "hijacked by Ganon" concept. One villain could be working with Ganon only as a means to accomplish a goal of his, such as revenge against the royal family, and plots to betray Ganon. The other could be serving him, not because he's brainwashed, he's offered something in return or has been tricked, but, here's the unique part, he serves Ganon by choice. Something like the A-Squad Rangers from Power Rangers SPD, a rival of the hero, someone who is seen as the better or is more accepted by the public turns evil of their own choice, thus giving Link a more symbolic victory of overcoming what he used to be by defeating the person he was overshadowed by.

* Continuity nods and fanservice (by that I mean stuff like nod to Ocarina of Time Skyward Sword, not like, say, Zelda in a bikini)

* A supporting cast with personality as well as their own subplots and have some role in the main story, like training Link's swordsmanship or presenting the boss rush. Also, show how they change depending on what Link does. For example, Impa would start out opposing Zelda's friendship with Link like the king, but because Link is the only other person who can see her spirit and of his growth, she quickly changes her opinion on him.

* Going back to that rival thing I mentioned. A more confrontational rival than Groose, someone who is always seen more accepted by the public, humiliating Link and is praised by even the king, yet in his attempts to court Zelda, she rejects him in favor of Link.

* Like Skyward Sword, give Link a reason to go to the dungeons for MacGuffins, for example, after obtaining the Master Sword, his reasoning for visiting the dungeons would be, like The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, to restore its power, or in this case, learn new techniques with it, like Sword Beam or causing a quake with it like in A Link to The Past.

* Like Skyward Sword, an optional love interest would be nice. In this, case let's say Malon, Ilia and Kina are secondary love interests. You could start a relationship or break off with them depending on what advantages come with them. Example, if you pick Malon you get free Lon Lon Milk and can ride Epona around the track for free to beat your record.

* Have some strong themes, in my case, themes of Idealism vs Cynicism, the underdog, relationships and growth, both physical and spiritual.

Throw in dungeons, each a different theme, fan favorite characters, iconic weapons and an excellent score and you have, what I would call, the perfect game that I could make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom