• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If You Could Know the Date of Your Death, Would You?

Joy

The Sexy One
It's a good question, and one I hadn't thought about. Most people would choose not to know, but I think I'd like to know when I die. That way, I can plan how to live my life.

For example, if I'm bound to die next year, what's the point of studying hard? I could just have fun, and experience the most I could in the short time before death.
However, if I didn't know, I'd work seriously at school next year thinking thatI can always have fun later on in my life. And then, when I die, I haven't really lived.

Another attractive point is that way I get to say goodbye to the ones I love. Imagine again if I die unexpectedly. I could get into a fight with someone I care about right before, etc. But if I know, I can make preparations, maybe even have a goodbye party, that way I get to have fun with all my friends one last time before we never meet again. On the last day, I'd do everything I'd usually avoid, like eating tons and tons of chocolate, go and eat in a really really expensive restaurant, drink very strong liquor etc.

I don't think I'd get depressed, like some of you said. On the contrary, I think the last week would not be spent in doom and gloom, but I'd spend it having the most fun I can.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
If it were a death that I could prevent, yes I would. If an inevitable death, no. I would spend too much time worrying about it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
If it were a death that I could prevent, yes I would. If an inevitable death, no. I would spend too much time worrying about it.
We had this conversation in the Shout Box. If you receive your death day, is it really preventable? It would be an interesting exercise in proving or disproving fate and destiny, and perhaps give us insight into the nature of time.

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
I think I would want to know. Even if it was set in stone and inevitable, I would want some sort of warning. Like, hey, you have this much tie to make a difference in the world and make sure your life means something. Besides, I am not the type of person who freaks out about death. It is a natural part of the cycle of life, and nothing is infinite anyways.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
Never. I would never want to know when I want to die. Do u know how fearful that would be? I would hate to know when I'd die. That would mean I'd have to rush things. Heck, if I was going to die tomorrow, or within an hour, I still wouldn't want to know. I would rather wake up feeling optimistic about each minute I'm alive, instead of counting down the days until I die.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I don't think I would want to know. Like some people, I don't fear death that much, but if I knew the date of my death it would still be in the back of my head saying "Hey, Listen! You're going to die on (insert date)!". I'd much rather live a long and happy life without knowing when I was going to die. No one wants to die and to prevent my death I might lock myself up in one of those foam rooms (whatever they're called) and spend the rest of my life in there.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i wouldn't want to know the date of my death just because i would like to live my life having fun and not thinking about death, but if having fun kills me i'm okay with that.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
you know I fear death so badly though i still wouldn't want to know the date.. because then i would just freak out about not getting enough done and not living it up like i should be lol.. I think for me in this case ignorance is bliss lol.. because I don't want to "race against the clock" I would more want to swing life at my comfortable pace and not worry about my death date lol.

Mudora

Innocent, but not fearful.
I think I would be curious, but I would never want to know. The date would constantly be in my mind, and I would worry about it, instead of enjoying life.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
No. Although it is instinct not to want to die (even if you have suicide thoughts you don't want to die, if you think otherwise your thinking irrationally ;)). And although you could prepare for you death, I think it best to leave it a mystery. It leaves that feeling of "I can die from this" in you whenever you’re doing something dangerous or the like. And that sensation is good; it's thrilling and fantastic, so I'd like to keep it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Knowing the date of your death certainly has its perks...

However for me? I would hate it! I like living my life in the moment, of course I do like to think about events in the future but I do think knowing the date of your death is definitely too much knowledge. I hate tempting the whole idea of "fate" and whether fate is a fictional idea or not I still think that if you do know the date of your death it would change me as person.

For example it would play on my brain subconsciously and there would be many times where I would feel depressed, I hate the idea of death...the fact that you pass away and then that's it, there is nothing else (btw I don't believe in heaven or afterlife, however I would like to think there is more to just one life)

With knowing how my life will end and when it would happen would certainly change the events of how I will live my life and to be honest I believe that things happen for a reason! That's why I also wouldn't like to change past events in my life nor would I like to know what the future holds for me! Hopefully I will have a great future ahead of me but time will tell and I am just going to enjoy the journey :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom