• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If you could change the writing of any character in the Zelda franchise, who would you change and what would you change?

TahDiscoBall

He does what Ninten-shouldn't.
I'd personally change the lines of some species of minibosses. Mainly because, I want to know how their species works and how they interact with other species. It could be pretty interesting, although we don't need one for every enemy.
Take the Lizalfos, for example. They seem pretty intriguing, what with their reptilian body features and unique armour.

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
I'll bite. BotW Zelda.

They tried to go for the deeper characterization, but more often than not she came across as a whiny, unfriendly brat. Sure there are diaries that explain her situation better, but how many folks are going to go out of their way to hunt for some books at specific places in a massive world to find that out? The memories just don't cut it to clarify her behavior either.

And it's not like Link will ever speak up to clear the air, so...

EDIT: I will say that her characterization in AoC was better overall, if only because she didn't really have any whiny moments that I can remember.
I personally really like Spirit Tracks Zelda as I’ve said before. She was charming and funny to me, and had a bit of development (not much, but a bit). I didn’t like Botw though. She could be annoying and her personality didn’t appeal to me. I feel like there’s some wasted potential for her character.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I would probably have to go with Tetra as well. One of the fist things you notice about her is how she's a lot tougher than Link is, she has experience leading and fighting. Tetra could well have been the teaching character. She could also have had a better character ark learning to be more than just a pirate and to care about others. We see a little of that, but not enough for it to be a full character change. Instead she sits in hiding underwater, which seems like something Tetra wouldn't do. Even (or especially) if she were in danger she would want to fight and fix it herself. Instead, she falls into the cliche of "princess in need of rescue".

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Deku tree
Mans got old english and doesnt even know how to say it proper
Dost he needeth to, though?

Yuga should've a bit more evil, if possible (which it is). A Link Between Worlds is a great game, but its writing is pretty lackluster overall due to its reliance on "nostalgiabait" and whatnot. Yuga was the opportunity to make ALBW more memorable, and, well, spending half the game in Ganon's body doesn't do that. The subversion was nicely executed, but really, the guy turns people into paintings, isn't that enough? I think there's plenty of room for a conflict featuring Yuga that doesn't rely on "Yuga Ganon".

The one missed opportunity more gear-grinding than Yuga's potential as a greater villain was that they didn't call him Yuganon, an obvious play on words that would've improved the 3DS' sales significantly. If they'd called him Yuganon, then we'd also have seen a Nintendo 4DS. Haven't you wanted to play games in 4D? Every time Link gets hit, you are hurt in the same way. Not intended for children under 7.

The fourth branch of the Zelda timeline, the Yuganon Timeline, is the one where Yuga decides to call himself Yuganon, and with this newfound power, he succeeds in his evil schemes and turns Link into overly-fancy toilet paper. Now Emperor of Mediumrule, Yuga proceeds to wipe away the impurities and make everything as beautiful as him. A Link Between Worlds 2: The Second One would be set one hundred billion dollars later and feature Ravioli leading a resistance against the Greater Medium Empire.

But in all seriousness, while I'm certainly not asking for melodrama, I do think that Yuga was ultimately very underwhelming in the grand scheme of things, and that if ALBW had branched out a little more, it would've been a lot more impressive as a Zelda game.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The obvious answer is Link.

Almost every game in the series gets a narrative kick in the knee due to Link's lack of dialogue. Other characters spend half their dialogue carrying the narrative that Link himself is unable to provide, and his lack of personality removes any sort of personal stake he has in the story due to his inability to properly react to anything.

The less inflammatory choice is Tetra.

Wind Waker sets Tetra up as a cool important character who does her own thing, but the moment it's time for her to step up and actually be a main character, she's thrown in a closet. Her entire personality is tossed out the window (along with her skin tone, her clothes, and any sense agency within a Zelda game she almost had) and she becomes yet another damsel in distress whose only role is to be an object for the player to collect.

I'd change it by making Tetra a companion of sorts in the latter half of Wind Waker. Given Link's largely comatose nature, her edgy teenage pirate outlook could provide a much needed voice of reason in the plot. If the reveal that she's Zelda has to happen, it's in name only and results in no physical or personality change. She stays Tetra and ends the game as Tetra.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmmm...Ilia for sure. The girl was boring as hell. Most of the time when I replay TP I only get the book and don't even bother to completely restore her memories because I couldn't care less about her. I would definitely do a complete makeover to her character.

Another one would be Fi. Even though they're both sword spirits Ghirahim has more personality than Fi. Even an onion is more fun to watch. I would give her for sure more attitude and make her more like a person rather than a speaking computer

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
Hmmm...Ilia for sure. The girl was boring as hell. Most of the time when I replay TP I only get the book and don't even bother to completely restore her memories because I couldn't care less about her. I would definitely do a complete makeover to her character.

Another one would be Fi. Even though they're both sword spirits Ghirahim has more personality than Fi. Even an onion is more fun to watch. I would give her for sure more attitude and make her more like a person rather than a speaking computer
If they were going to go with the "robotic" angle for Fi, they should've leaned in harder, in my opinion. Fi feels as bland as the rest as Skyward Sword. I'm not asking for her to be a literal android (though that sounds very cool, come to think of it), I just think that with this Siri personality, there could've been a bit more focus on that "what is this emotion called love" conflict. Cliche, but at least it'd be something (and I'm a stickler for "robot melodrama", lol). Just my thoughts. I think the devs were tired of having Link's companions having "extreme levels of personality" and wanted to try having the polar opposite, but they did not stick the landing.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Easy one!! I'd pick Tetra. Tetra was awesome and i couldn't wait to see where she'd go in the story. She was a very different kind of character than Link would usually bud around with and so I didn't know where it'd all end up, i was loving her. but then she just got dumped away, told to hide in a castle. Like, the Tetra from the game id have thought would be all "na screw that" but her personality was just gone. super disappointing. I would have kept Tetra as Tetra, even with the big reveal. And let her be a very un-Zelda Zelda or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom