• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Animal Crossing If you could change one aspect of New Horizons, what would you change?

Threads relating to the Animal Crossing series.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I really do think that New Horizons is a great game, but there are some gameplay mechanics in it that, if they were changed, would make me enjoy the game a lot more. For example, I would like to have the ability to advance the day forward any time I want, like can be done in the Harvest Moon games. I'm not the kind of person who can maintain interest in a game if the pace is too slow or too little happens per 24 hr period in the case of AC. Or, if advancing a day forward isn't an option, then I wish events (buildings being built, villager arrivals, etc.) would happen more frequently or more quickly so it doesn't feel that I don't have enough stuff to do on a daily basis. If nothing else, the option to have more control in-game (instead of changing the system date and time) would be nice for players like myself who want to accomplish more in a shorter amount of time, but I'm probably I'm in the minority with this opinion.

Anyway, is there anything that you would change about New Horizons if you could?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You can advance the day if you go into the system clock and change the date. That's called time travelling and it's a perfectly viable way to play AC.

As for myself, the biggest thing I would change is the campsite. It's absolutely horrendous in this game. The one and only thing going for it is the 60% priority to missing villager type appearances. Everything else is bad. A maximum of 20% chance of visitors, and only after 5 days? Bad. The fact that you can't choose which villager a random visitor replaces when they want to move in at max capacity? Bad. The fact that you need to repeatedly call an amiibo villager in 3 times before they can want to move in? Bad. All of that needs serious improvement. That would be my first priority because it would make my life a lot easier when trying to use it to replace villagers.

There's a bunch of things that come to mind, but I think the one I'm gonna go with is related to the custom/pro patterns. Making custom patterns and clothing was something I always liked doing since Wild World and the "options" sort of corner you into doing very specific styles in New Horizons, which disappoints me greatly. Specifically, the preset styles of the pro patterns basically force you into their bumpmap setting, and since I usually make long sleeved shirts when I recreate video game character clothing, they're either forced into being a sweater or button up shirt, and it just makes it really messy.

My proposal for change is a custom bumpmap layer instead of these presets. This would be achieved with a binary layer that a player could switch to for any of the parts of the design (front, back, sleeves) and trace over the color layer to designate which aspects of the pattern should be embossed. This would be so much better than having armor-looking designs with a stupid button up outline forced over top of it. I lost a lot of my desire to make patterns because of how this game handled them and it irritates me.

Skystone

I, Chocobo
In addition to the previously-mentioned tree quantity issue (why in the world should a nature preserve not be an acceptable choice for an island?), I would also appreciate being able to plant trees adjacent to bodies of water.

But honestly, I think most of the obviously 'bad' design choices are intended to slow down the player's pace, and I also think that's fine. The game is supposed to be laid-back and relaxing.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The big ones are probably obvious: the first is the one island per system limitation. I don't know which developer or publisher thought this was a good idea, but it's not. It's a stupidly limiting system that damages the game to an unforgivable degree in households with more than one player.

Secondly, the lack of cloud saving. I know they've given some lame excuse about how it prevents cheating or whatever (which it doesn't), but Animal Crossing is effectively a single-player game. Who cares about cheating? The most another player can do is visit your island, look around, and then go back to digging holes and picking apples.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Genetics in flowers needs to go away BIG time. So damn irritating when your breeding flowers and NOPE instead of that hard to find one you get a common one.

I'd love to be able to remove villagers from my island, some of them i genuinely dislike (well one) and i want my island pure from the curse of Lionel

I would ensure that for every seasonal event there is an equal and opposite event.
Ie one for summer and one for winter at the same time. So Northern and Southern both have seasonal events to enjoy and not have to wait 6 minths to partake in them.

Currently most of the seasonal events in patches are al Northern prioritised and Southerners feel a little left out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom