• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If You Could Automatically Learn Eight Languages, What Would They Be and Why?

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
1. Spanish: I already speak it fluently; it's the first foreign language I was introduced to.
2. Chinese (Mandarin): I speak it as well, but not fluently; I love Chinese culture and Mandarin is spoken by roughly 900 million people.
3. Japanese: I love Japanese culture. Japan is a fascinating place and I have a lot of Japanese friends.
4. Italian: Who wouldn't want to learn Italian?
5. Arabic: An important language in a globalizing world.
6. Russian: I don't know, I would just like to tell people that I speak Russian :)
7. French: It's pretty.
8. Korean: I have a good friend from S. Korea and I would like to be able to talk to her in her native language.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
well lets see.. if i could speak 8 languages..
1 Spanish- because i look Hispanic and so i can tell people in Spanish that i'm not his Spanish and also so i can eavesdrop on my coc lol
2 Romanian- because o-zone is awesome!!
3 french- language of love what can i say? lol
4 Portuguese-because i would love to go to Brazil one day
5 Latin- i don't know why
6 elvish- from lord of the rings lol because it just sounds so pretty.
7 Arabic- just cause
and close!!! so close but no cigar.. i don't know what my 8th one would be lol

LinkLover

You Mean, Green Thing
Umm...

1. Japanese (So I can understand anime without the damned subtitles)
2. Korean (? It's just cool)
3. French (To Paris we go!)
4. Italian ( A language of love...)
5. Chinese (I always wanted to move to China.)
6. Russian (So I can sing along to t.A.T.u songs in their original form)
7. Spanish (It's useful. Nuff said.)
8. Ancient Language (Eragon. Yup, it's fictional, but wouldn't it be great to cast spells and be unable to lie? I think so. :))

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Japanese: I could understand anime, vocaloid, etc.
French: I like the language. :P
Spanish: Simply for convenience, since so many people speak it.
German: Cause it's a cool languade and I'd be able to understand Rammstein. :)
Hylian: Assuming it's actually a language and not just different letters.
Chinese: Cause there are lots of Chinese-speaking people out there.
Russian: I dunno.......everybody else is doing this one and I can't think of anything else.........
Latin: It was the language of middle-age Europe, it would be pretty cool to learn.

Taggerung115

Warrior
Japanese - So I can watch anime that is not dubbed and not have to give it 100% of my attention to read the subtitles.
Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic - so I can read the Bible in it's original languages (so many verses in the English Bibles do not have their original meaning as some phrases/words cannot translated fully. There are simply no words in the English langage that have the full meaning of the original.)

Italian - Because it's awesome and sexy.

Hylian. Just because.

Latin - becauseit's facinating.

Spanish - I used to do 16th century spanish sword play. Besides, Inigo Montoya is cool.

1) Japanese - Pretty obvious one, between games & anime and other Japanese culture related things this would easily be my first choice.
2) French - I have a very french-Canadian background and live in New England where a lot of people from Quebec come for the summer.
3) Finnish - Maybe a strange one, but I had a friend at one point from Finland and I think it's one of the most beautiful languages.
4) Chinese - A more practical choice. I believe it's the most spoken language in the world by native speakers and with China on the rise it looks like it'd be extremely useful.
5) Latin - Yes it's a dead language but as someone who likes history it's an extremely important language and would be fun to know I think.
6) Arabic - Like Chinese this is a practical choice I think. A very widely spoken language and would be very useful to know.
7) Russian - Yet another practical choice. Pretty obvious why I think.
8) Norwegian - Looking over my list I realized I didn't have any Scandinavian languages so I thought this would be a useful one to have as well.

1, Arabic - got some family from over there so would be nice to be able to speak it
2, Japanese - anime n all that cool stuff and i want to visit there at some point
3, Chinese- not sure which dialect of it i would want to know tho
4, French - not sure why but would be awesome as i would hope to visit there again
5, Dutch - loved Amsterdam, pretty much only reason why
6,Italian - originally wrote Spanish but then remembered i know quite a few Italian people
7,Russian - cause then i'd be bad *** :P
8,Latin - Mainly cause of the naming of species thingy ma bob

Last edited:
I guess I'd go for... in no particular order...
1. Spanish (very widely used language and thus important to learn)
2. Japanese (cuz I wanna visit Japan... and I could watch Japanese movies with no subs :D )
3. Chinese (could come in handy for travel... or surprising people at the oriental supermarket :P )
4. British Sign Language (never know when you might meet a deaf person who you could be friends with... and I'm british)
5. Somalian (there is a large somalian community where I live so again, could come in handy!!)
6. Welsh (because I often go to wales)
7. Greek (I'm going on holiday there this year)
8. French (in case I go to DisneyLand Paris... lol)
9. Polish (again, there is a large Polish community where I live and it may come in handy!)
10. Icelandic... because I heard that it is the single hardest language to learn as a second language, and therefore being able to learn it automatically would be AWESOME and I could have a chat with Bjork :P

1. Japanese
and that's actually it for me.
I already know English and Spanish and no other language interests me except Japanese, for the obvious reasons.

1. Cantonese - one of my native languages besides English. Wish I was a little more fluent in it.
2. Mandarin - one of the fastest growing ones in the world. Will become very important in the near future.
3. French - good for living in Canada; I suck it at right now.
4. Spanish - for when I visit America or Spain.
5. German - for when I visit Europe.
6. Russian - same as above.

Ah, languages. My family has a deep love for them, and thankfully, a knack for learning them. It's practically inevitable that I will make it a point to learn at least one in my lifetime. As for a list, mine would be as follows:

1. Japanese - Very good memories of my sister are tied to the sound and shape of this language. I made it a point to learn Hiragana, Katakana, some basic Kanji, and good pronunciation in high school, since that much is fairly easy to do. Eventually I would like to learn the language, although I would really want to wait to find someone who speaks the language to tutor me, since I want to go about it the correct way.

2. Arabic - My sister and her husband are Arabic linguists for a living. In addition, I have cousins who are half Lebanese who also speak Arabic, although not to the extent that my sister does. In my opinion, it such an incredibly beautiful language - such a gorgeous sound, and the shape of the characters is so lovely. I'm very exited that my sister's child, to be born late this month/early the next, will be growing up bilingual in English and Arabic. Sooner or later I will have my sister and her husband teach it to me, if they would - and I have a very good feeling that they would, as they love the language.

3. Hebrew - My parents have taught me a few Hebrew words... not many, though, but I cherish what incredibly little I know. My family is kind of drawn to the language - I love listening to music in Hebrew (well, the same can be said for Japanese and Arabic as well) and my family always enjoys watching fun little videos to teach the language, and the like. It's beautiful, to me. I love to read my Tanakh, since it is written with both the Hebrew and English text on each page.

4. Korean - I listen to a lot of Korean music, and it's one of the many cultures that I am drawn to. I had a good friend who was Korean, and I very much enjoyed watching her write the language on the board in our Language Club at school, as it was quite lovely. I also just really love the way it sounds.

5. Mandarin - Another that I just enjoy listening to, in general. I LOVED hearing one of my friends from China in our club try and teach us phrases....

6. Finnish - What can I say? I developed a major Finland infatuation starting back in my sophomore year of high school, all thanks to the cello rock/metal band Apocalyptica. That infatuation still stands, and so of course it is a language I'm interested in.

7. Italian - Quite simply, it's one of the many languages that I'm drawn to. It makes me think of one of my good friends who I miss dearly and wish I was still in contact with, as she loves all things Italian. She is already incredibly fluent in both English and Spanish, and I have no doubt that someday she will master this third language.

8. I have several other choices, among them being Icelandic, Aramaic, Farsi, and as for something that would be more practical, Spanish and French would be good choices. Honestly, though I would love to learn any language at all... I love them. It runs in my family.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
1)Japaneese-I could read Hyrule Historia and a ton of other stuff. I also want to be there. Not just go through security at the airport while the plane's getting reloaded with supplies and stuff.
2)Spanish-Even though I can sort of speak it, I'm not gonna be really fluent with it
3)Hindi-Hindi movies are great. It would be cool if I could watch one even without subtitles.
4)French-It's an interesting language. But complicated
5)Latin-Read a ton of ancient scriptures
6)Greek-Read other ancient scriptures
7)Hebrew-Read other ancient scriptures
8)Italian-Want to go there one day

Spanish: It's the second-most spoken language where I live.
American Sign Language: Even deafness can't prevent conversation.
Romanian: Competently sing along with Dragostea Din Tei.
Japanese: Play and understand those imported games.
Russian: Cool-sounding language.
All those different varieties of Chinese: Be able to converse in the most populous nation on the planet.
French: Sound romantic.
Portuguese: In case I want to move to Brazil someday. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom