• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

If We Hate Call of Duty, Why Do We Buy the Games?

if-call-of-duty-was-real.jpeg

I've noticed a lot of people who rage about Call of Duty and talk about how much of a burden it is on gaming. Then I log into whichever console and see, "blahblahgamertagnintendonetworkpsniduser is Playing Call of Duty: Black Ops 2"
So, I usually hate on Call of Duty as well, for becoming this annual game that is released about the same time as say, some EA sports title. I still find myself purchasing the game and playing online with friends for fun.
Is it so wrong to be a gamer and like playing Call of Duty though? I get a lot of side eyes from the community and I hate to admit it but, the games are fun to play with friends casually from time to time. I don't find myself raging like most of the players though, or trying to get to a certain level or K/D ratio. Playing COD with my friends usually brings laughs and entertainment all around.
I told myself I wouldn't buy Black Ops 2 but once I heard that it was set in the future, I was game. So do you find yourself admitting that COD can be fun at times?

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I didn't buy or even consider buying Modern Warfare 3 at all. Only got Black Ops and Black Ops 2 for the Zombies, and will never buy another Call of Duty again unless Zombies is included.

Deeds

no text
CoD can be fun, and is fun, in my opinion. It's just one of those things that's cool to hate, people like to take rips at huge franchise's every once in a while.
I, myself, generally only buy CoD titles for Zombies. Honestly, the 'Modern Warfare' series got bad after the first one, MW2 was okay, but MW3 was just copy and paste. Black Ops was okay, but MP was bad because of the awful netcode. BO2 is the best yet. As balanced as you can get, in CoD, multiplayer. It's got Zombies, which is generally the reason I even bought it to start with.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
CoD - the multiplayer portion of it anyway - is the best pickup and play fun for me. Any match will last around 10 minutes, and it's a test of your skill versus other players' skill. Yeah, the games could use some very new things in regards to everything - different playstyles, different mechanics for guns, LESS OP SMGs (BO2), new modes with different playstyles (for the most part, every game mode in CoD ever released is just a TDM with a twist...but modes like King of the Hill didn't work like that), etc. but for what Cashtivision publishes, they're still fun games.

I myself said I wouldn't buy MW3 or BO2...I bought both (and regret it). I enjoy BO2 from time to time but I hate hackers. MW3 was hacked by the time I got it. Fun games, need more stuff...but once again they're still fun.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Ha, as if! I've never bought a single Call of Duty game in my life. The only reason I even play it nowadays with friends who have it is because of the admittedly fun zombie mode, other than that I don't care.

I used to care, mind you. I did play MW1's campaign partially through, and I like it well enough. And the midway point where the nuke went off really got to me, it really showed the horrors of nuclear weapons. But then shortly after that I got bored of the revenge quest, and I haven't played the campaigns for any of the other games since. Also, even though MW1 was fresh and new when it came out, and I did sorta like the realistic look of things then, I no longer care at all about that aesthetic choice, since it's everywhere these days.

I also used to like the multiplayer mode when the Modern Warfare series came out, but again I no longer care about that. I think my sister's boyfriend has a lot to do with that. When we play multiplayer games he gets really angry and starts shouting all sorts of things like "Nu-uh, you shouldn't have gotten that kill! Look at the lag!" or "Why didn't I kill you, I lined the shot up perfectly!" or other stuff like that. He's been playing these types of games for a decade or so, so he's very skilled in them, but when the rest of us who aren't so good at it play these games with him, instead of lightening up a bit and letting us just have fun, he shows no mercy and gets indignant when we get mad at him for it. He's a perfect showcase for the stereotypical CoD player, and I don't want to be associated with that.

If they ever release the zombie mode as its own separate game, I'll pick that up for sure, but other than that I'm never going to pick up a CoD game. I've got other things to worry about.

Call of Duty is a very fun series with enjoyable campaign missions and great, addictive multiplayer. People criticize it for their own personal reasons, but everyone needs to realize that every video game doesn't have to be a grandiose, cerebral adventure; CoD is a very basic FPS series at its core, but it handily achieves all that it tries to do.

People just love to hate its that simple, ive played every CoD and apart from MW1 people spewed hate for them and in most cases they had good reason. Like MW2's noob tube spam and quick scoping BO2 lag issues and spawn trapping as well as the issue with community campers who prove that there is a way to make CoD into an experience that rivals watching paint dry:P

I myself only buy CoD for zombies these days since the online tends to be cussing kids and lag that screws over the players with good connections making some matches unplayable but some people enjoy playing that way and they tend to be the haters:P

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Never bought it, never even played it. I have a huge dislike for playing first person, and I find shooters to be incredibly uninteresting. But by all means, if you enjoy playing it, who cares what others think of it?

Hanyou

didn't build that
I don't care for First-person shooters. As such, I find myself disappointed that they've become so important in the modern console market, but there's nothing I can do about it.

I try not to specifically hate on games I know nothing about, so I really don't hate on Call of Duty. I just leave it out of most of my conversations. Hachi and I played multiplayer for free on Steam once, and it seemed like it could potentially be fun, but neither of us cared enough to play it properly. The main reasons I see people hating on Call of Duty are that it has gritty, realistic graphics (yeah, what I've seen of them looks boring, I'll agree) and the games "never change." The latter isn't even bad if the formula works, and the former is just a design preference. So whatever.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I don't hate on Call of Duty and I don't buy the games. Frankly, I'm not aware of anyone who hates on the series and buys the games, but maybe I just don't care enough to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom